Linux Questions
I finally made the switch. It's so easy, it was ridiculous why I waited for so long, but I guess I feared losing a lot of the programs I was used it. First, I put Linux Mint Cinnamon on a USB stick and booted into it for a test run. Everything worked fine (mostly), and all of my laptop keys, such as brightness dimming and sound +/-, worked flawlessly! Next, I installed LMC on a new partition sharing with my Windows 10. Flawless Victory! So now I'm about to ask some Linux questions for those in the know, but before that, a quick rant on what sent me over the edge with Windows:

[RANT]
I had a very important document up I was working on in MS Word 2010. I left to the store and Windows 10 decided to do an update during this time without warning. Low and behind, when I logged back into my computer, my document was MIA! I searched high and low to no avail, so next I turned to google and found a ton of on-line support, however and unfortunately, none of this information could resuscitate my document from the beyond (believe me, I tried roll-back, searching temp folders in Windows directory, everything... that document was GONE!). Luckily, I remembered I always save a copy to the cloud and thank god it was there, otherwise I'd have lost months of hard work down the drain!

I wish that were my only issues, however I had to purchase a new portable HD and printer (at different times) because an update broke the driver (which worked fine on my Windows 7 computer) and absolutely nothing could get it working again. I've seen three of our office computer printers stop working and needing a complete driver uninstall and reinstall after a windows update. You know, typical MS bullshit.

And what's really pissing me off is the corporate decision to intentionally slow older versions of windows by filling them with unnecessary bloat-ware, you know, planned obsolescence. My living room computer with all of my movies and games running Windows 7 now boots as slowly as my old XP did around the time W2K came out. I can literally turn the power on my computer, go get everything ready to make a sandwich, the load screen should be up by now at which time I type my password, then I can go finish the sandwich, and when I'm done, maybe the computer will be done fully loading all apps and drivers. Complete and utter bullshit. I'm tired of this corporate level jurisdiction over something I paid good money for.
[/RANT]

So, here are my questions, specifically pertaining to Linux Mint Cinnamon latest version distro:

1. How do I access the files saved on the Windows partition?
2. How can I view my partition size and health, i.e. data usage?
3. W10 automatically defrags. How can I defrag with Linux?
4. Bluetooth; every time I switch OS, I have to pair my Bluetooth mouse again, which is super frustrating when... that is my ONLY mouse, so getting to the Bluetooth icon each time in both OS is rage inducing. Is there anyway to permanently save the goddamn paired mouse in both OS?
5. Does LM auto-update, or tell you if there is a new update? And if not, does installing a new update erase your system?
6. I use the MS Office suite religiously, as well as Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat X Pro. Are there any comprable programs? I'm not going to bother with WINE since I have dual-OS atm, so if there's not, I'll decide what to do about this later...
7. I see LMC comes with VLC as an external download, which I already got. Does it come with all codec? I play movies with .flv, .mkv, .ogg, etc.
8. I'm going to try and see if all of my Firefox add-ons work with Linux when I get home from work tonight, so that is a partial question if they will or not, but I want to try my email client, Thunderbird also. Anyone know if that functions correctly under Linux?
9. In Windows, I guess since W7, the drivers all automatically get updated directly from Microsoft. Does LMC check your drivers for the latest compatibility and see if you have the most current drivers for them?
10. I use a VPN called PureVPN. Any idea if that is compatible with Linux?
11. Okay, I see people referencing command lines constantly for Linux in the online forums I've been to. Do you access that via the Terminal window, the same as CMD in Windows? And if so, what can you do with it that's important to know about for a new Linux user?
12. At this point, LMC seems to work much like Windows. I don't see too much of a difference, at least not for what I want to use it for. Is there any reason to use a different distro in the future?

Thank you any and everyone who attempts to answer these questions for me. It is greatly appreciated.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I answered a few of my own questions. In case anyone was interested:

Quote:1. How do I access the files saved on the Windows partition?
A: This does not show up on the USB version, so it's a bit misleading. Once you install Linux on a partition, you can view your entire HD and access your files on other partitions.

5. Does LM auto-update, or tell you if there is a new update? And if not, does installing a new update erase your system?
9. In Windows, I guess since W7, the drivers all automatically get updated directly from Microsoft. Does LMC check your drivers for the latest compatibility and see if you have the most current drivers for them?
A: On boot, there is an option to check for updates and auto-update. Also on this pop-up is an option to check your hardward drivers for updates.

5. I'm going to try and see if all of my Firefox add-ons work with Linux when I get home from work tonight, so that is a partial question if they will or not, but I want to try my email client, Thunderbird also. Anyone know if that functions correctly under Linux?
A: Firefox seems to work flawlessly, and I was able to import all of my settings. Will try TB in a bit. EDIT: TB works fine, and all add-ons. Having insane difficulty getting POP to work so the files save on my computer but meh, whatever.

6. I use the MS Office suite religiously, as well as Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat X Pro. Are there any comprable programs? I'm not going to bother with WINE since I have dual-OS atm, so if there's not, I'll decide what to do about this later...
A: So far, MS Office Word works great! Will be trying the Excel equivalent shortly, but still no idea about PS or Acrobat. EDIT: Excel works as good as the MS version from what I can tell. GIMP is nowhere near PS level, or at least I don't know it's features yet. Seems there are pdf editors in Linux so Acrobat Pro is not necessary.

11. Okay, I see people referencing command lines constantly for Linux in the online forums I've been to. Do you access that via the Terminal window, the same as CMD in Windows? And if so, what can you do with it that's important to know about for a new Linux user?
A: Self explanatory once you attempt it. Exactly the same as CMD.

EDIT:
4. I see LMC comes with VLC as an external download, which I already got. Does it come with all codec? I play movies with .flv, .mkv, .ogg, etc.
5. I use a VPN called PureVPN. Any idea if that is compatible with Linux?
A: Both work as the original

8. How to get Numlock to enable on startup?
A: It does automatically after the latest update I did

9. How to set my network as a trusted network so every password I enter my browser doesn't keep telling me it can be compromised?
A: Apparently an issue with Firefox, not Linux. Windows has to modify it's Firewall settings, which is why it asks what type of network you're on, but Linux does not, so that warning is strictly a Firefox warning pertaining specifically to my distro

Still Not Sure:
1. How can I view my partition size and health, i.e. data usage?
2. W10 automatically defrags. How can I defrag with Linux?
3. Bluetooth; every time I switch OS, I have to pair my Bluetooth mouse again, which is super frustrating when... that is my ONLY mouse, so getting to the Bluetooth icon each time in both OS is rage inducing. Is there anyway to permanently save the goddamn paired mouse in both OS?
4. How can I install fonts? I have a ton I use which I need for my documents.
5. My laptop is a touchscreen, and I use a secondary HDMI non-touchscreen monitor. Every single time I reboot, I have to type "xinput", "xrandr" to get my video display ID, then the stupid output which keeps changing each reboot, then type in, "xinput map-to-output 13 eDP1" (the 13 and eDP1 change). How in the hell can I get Linux to permanently remember this?

General Question: Linux Mint seems to work much like Windows. I don't see too much of a difference, at least not for what I want to use it for. Is there any reason to use a different distro in the future?
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(02-04-2018, 10:46 AM)Taem Wrote: I answered a few of my own questions. In case anyone was interested:

Quote:1. How do I access the files saved on the Windows partition?
A: This does not show up on the USB version, so it's a bit misleading. Once you install Linux on a partition, you can view your entire HD and access your files on other partitions.

A: On boot, there is an option to check for updates and auto-update. Also on this pop-up is an option to check your hardward drivers for updates.

5. I'm going to try and see if all of my Firefox add-ons work with Linux when I get home from work tonight, so that is a partial question if they will or not, but I want to try my email client, Thunderbird also. Anyone know if that functions correctly under Linux?
A: Firefox seems to work flawlessly, and I was able to import all of my settings. Will try TB in a bit. EDIT: TB works fine, and all add-ons. Having insane difficulty getting POP to work so the files save on my computer but meh, whatever.

A: So far, MS Office Word works great! Will be trying the Excel equivalent shortly, but still no idea about PS or Acrobat. EDIT: Excel works as good as the MS version from what I can tell. GIMP is nowhere near PS level, or at least I don't know it's features yet. Seems there are pdf editors in Linux so Acrobat Pro is not necessary.

A: Self explanatory once you attempt it. Exactly the same as CMD.

EDIT:
4. I see LMC comes with VLC as an external download, which I already got. Does it come with all codec? I play movies with .flv, .mkv, .ogg, etc.
5. I use a VPN called PureVPN. Any idea if that is compatible with Linux?
A: Both work as the original

8. How to get Numlock to enable on startup?
A: It does automatically after the latest update I did

9. How to set my network as a trusted network so every password I enter my browser doesn't keep telling me it can be compromised?
A: Apparently an issue with Firefox, not Linux. Windows has to modify it's Firewall settings, which is why it asks what type of network you're on, but Linux does not, so that warning is strictly a Firefox warning pertaining specifically to my distro

Still Not Sure:
1. How can I view my partition size and health, i.e. data usage?
2. W10 automatically defrags. How can I defrag with Linux?
3. Bluetooth; every time I switch OS, I have to pair my Bluetooth mouse again, which is super frustrating when... that is my ONLY mouse, so getting to the Bluetooth icon each time in both OS is rage inducing. Is there anyway to permanently save the goddamn paired mouse in both OS?
4. How can I install fonts? I have a ton I use which I need for my documents.
5. My laptop is a touchscreen, and I use a secondary HDMI non-touchscreen monitor. Every single time I reboot, I have to type "xinput", "xrandr" to get my video display ID, then the stupid output which keeps changing each reboot, then type in, "xinput map-to-output 13 eDP1" (the 13 and eDP1 change). How in the hell can I get Linux to permanently remember this?

General Question: Linux Mint seems to work much like Windows. I don't see too much of a difference, at least not for what I want to use it for. Is there any reason to use a different distro in the future?

#1. Go to your search bar and type: "disks" (without quotes). You can use gparted to do even more.
#2. Linux file systems do not need to be defragmented. Simply put, the data is stored with larger buffers between each file.
#3/5. I suspect this question and answers might lead you in the right direction. There is a way to add things to an "autostart" command/file. I have tried with other issues and have no success. Good luck!
There are 9 commands to check hard disk partitions and disk space on Linux.
For more details you may visit : http://www.binarytides.com/linux-command...artitions/

Hope it will help
Thank you both for your helpful posts. GhastMaster, yours is proving to be exactly what I was looking for in regards to the screen, however looks like a DIY project learning Linux version of DOS. It's actually the type of challenge I like, so thank you for pointing me in that direction!

I've answered many of these questions and am down to just three now, with the screen issue being a WIP, it's actually only two issues, except I also decided against using the BlueTooth mouse, so it's actually only one question, lol. I'm posting on the official Linux Mint forums in case anyone is interested:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p...7#p1428777

Oh, and the reason I decided against the BlueTooth mouse was after reading a lot of information recently about BlueTooth devices and their microwave radiation. I decided to just get a wired mouse instead.
I've decided against using LibreOffice. It is simply not up to the professional quality I can achieve with my documents in MS Office... not even close. I guess, since I already decided I want OUT of windows OS, I'll try to install WINE and MS Office 2010 (which I own). I'm open to advise from sages from this site who have experience in how to do this.

Lastly, once I do that, there is no reason for me to keep my windows partition. Is there a way to reformat the entire windows partition to Linux Mint? Such a hassle moving all of my documents, pictures, and videos off the drive, but I guess it can't be helped with a full partition wipe. How about the backup HD used for system crashes with the windows 10 backup on it? Can that be safely wiped and used for Linux?
(02-11-2018, 05:55 PM)Taem Wrote: I've decided against using LibreOffice. It is simply not up to the professional quality I can achieve with my documents in MS Office...

I was going to ask.

Quote:Lastly, once I do that, there is no reason for me to keep my windows partition. Is there a way to reformat the entire windows partition to Linux Mint? Such a hassle moving all of my documents, pictures, and videos off the drive, but I guess it can't be helped with a full partition wipe. How about the backup HD used for system crashes with the windows 10 backup on it? Can that be safely wiped and used for Linux?

I am not 100% sure what you are asking, but I hope this is relevant. If you are interested in saving a backup of your Win10 system disk/partition, perhaps clonezilla would be of use? For altering partitions I used this guide:
https://www.rootusers.com/use-gparted-to...partition/
(02-11-2018, 06:42 PM)GhastMaster Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 05:55 PM)Taem Wrote: I've decided against using LibreOffice. It is simply not up to the professional quality I can achieve with my documents in MS Office...

I was going to ask.

Quote:Lastly, once I do that, there is no reason for me to keep my windows partition. Is there a way to reformat the entire windows partition to Linux Mint? Such a hassle moving all of my documents, pictures, and videos off the drive, but I guess it can't be helped with a full partition wipe. How about the backup HD used for system crashes with the windows 10 backup on it? Can that be safely wiped and used for Linux?

I am not 100% sure what you are asking, but I hope this is relevant. If you are interested in saving a backup of your Win10 system disk/partition, perhaps clonezilla would be of use? For altering partitions I used this guide:
https://www.rootusers.com/use-gparted-to...partition/

LibreOffice is fine for day to day documents. For crafting professional articles however, it leaves much to be desired, or rather, converting my .docx to LO standard f*'s them up completely and irreparably, and many, many features I used heavily in MS Word are omitted from LO, but I was power user. I saw all this not to dis on LO, but to say I've found a suitable replacement in SoftMaker Office! It's essentially the same as MS Office, with the same pagination and everything. All of my documents open flawlessly and display perfectly. I'm only missing the Text Effects that the latest MS Word came with, which is a bit of a disappointment. The Picture Effects are also a hassle, but nothing I can't adjust to with Photoshop anyhow. Oh yeah, I'll have to see if PS works in Linux... such a pain.

Regarding the second part, I was just asking how to wipe my old partition to another Linux drive, then if the backup harddrive used for Windows 10 clean installs (essentially the CD I believe) could be partitioned for Linux also.

EDIT: Nothing in Linux is easy... First, I thought getting MS Word 2010 and MS Excel 2010 to work in WINE would be cake. Turns out its anything but, with several features not working for those able to get it up and running. Turns out you can do it with a commercial version of WINE called CrossOver which costs $60 annually. However... I found out that installing and using WINE opens your Linux OS to Windows vulnerabilities; it would have been nice to have known that from the start. I guess I'll uninstall WINE off my system.

So I scour the internet to stay Linux based and find SoftMaker, touted as the spiritual successor to the MS Office suite. I have to admit that the Word equivalent, TextMaker, is so far excellent, missing only a few standard features that 2010 has. However it's Excel counterpart is utter trash; copying and pasting cells does not copy any formatting... There does not seem to be a way to change the date from the Euro standard day/month/year to the American standard. And none of the cut/copy/paste functions on my keyboard work in SoftMaker - or LibreOffice for that matter - but work fine in all other applications on Linux. SoftMaker will cost me an additional $99.

I'm thinking of using LibreOffice for my Excel documents since they can be converted without much loss, and my Word documents in SoftMaker and I'll only lose the text effects and picture effects. For the documents that rely on these effects heavily, I'll have to continue using dual-boot until I can find a suitable workaround. The most frustrating thing so far is getting the cut/copy/paste working on my keyboard... such a simple thing you'd think! Not ctrl-x/c/v mind you, but actual media buttons for cut/copy/paste. Another issue I'm having is that I'm one of the millions of users who may-or-may-not have a legal copy of Photoshop *ahem*, and I don't see myself spending the $1K+ for the full version so I can get it up and running on Linux, especially since I plan on uninstalling WINE. I'll have to learn to adapt to new graphics software on Linux, however I doubt I can do even half the things I've learned to do on PS, which means I'll have to stay dual-booted when working on pictures.

So I have to remind myself, what is the reason I wanted to switch to Linux in the first place? I was, and am, tired of W10 constantly rebooting without my permission, not knowing what updates it's installed, losing critical documents during the update process, MS known data mining, etc. I thought the switch to Linux would be an easy road, but it's far from. What's the point of staying dual-booted if I have to keep booting into Windows? I think for an average computer user, Linux would work just fine, but for a graphics editor, or for someone who has hundreds of documents already prepared in MS Office, its a difficult transition, if not impossible. Linux could be a real competitive OS if it weren't so fractured with all it's different builds and distros. I'm still personally on the fence rather to continue prodding along until I get something that works with what I need it to, or to give up. Just when you think you've finished the race with Linux, you find out you're only half way down the track and the hurdles just keep coming!
(02-15-2018, 04:01 AM)Taem Wrote: Linux could be a real competitive OS if it weren't so fractured with all it's different builds and distros.
I've been using Linux for maybe a few years now, and even though I know what you're saying it's also what makes Linux, well Linux. And in some ways still safer than MS, because there are multitudes of different builds and distros to suit different types of needs. I currently have one machine running an ubuntu derived distro, and another using an Arch based distro. Both suits my needs and my Windows 7 machine has been strictly offline work use only for quite some time.
Quote:I'm still personally on the fence rather to continue prodding along until I get something that works with what I need it to, or to give up. Just when you think you've finished the race with Linux, you find out you're only half way down the track and the hurdles just keep coming!
Most of the issues and sentiments you wrote, believe me I went through the same thing and so did a lot of people. I'll share some of my findings, which may or may not help you out.

MS Office products and Adobe.
These 2 are probably the biggest hurdles for more Linux adoption for everyday computing. Without getting into a rant, MS is obvious. Adobe, they're almost adamant in not wanting to offer Linux compatibility for a reason that you can find out for yourself if you think about it, and it has nothing to do with Linux directly. Anyways, if there is no Linux counterpart or the ones such as Libre Office or Krita and GIMP does not suit you, here is a few options.

-Separate Linux and Windows physically either via different physical HDD\SSD or a secondary machine. Use windows for the programs you need and preferably only non critical usage when it comes to online, and use Linux for online and everything else.

-If you have to use the latest version of windows, consider using the Enterprise or even the Enterprise LTSB version. IMO it's what Windows10 should have been all along.
https://www.computerworld.com/article/32...ained.html