Star Control: Origins

And suddenly, I'm 16 years old again.

(Edit: for those unaware, I've commented on several occasions that Star Control II was one of the best games ever made, ever. This is a spiritual successor and I hope they manage to capture the amazingness of the original.)

((Double edit: yes, I know that the creators of Star Control II are suing these guys for swiping the IP. I'm just talking about the game here.))
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I'm really hoping for a good Star Control game. I remember playing the original way back, and of course, I still owe you for recommending the second, which is ... stellar? (Can you say that?)

I'm pretty pessimistic that the current situation between Stardock and Ford/Reiche will result in anything but tears. It would be nice to be wrong!

-Jester
So it's out now, has anyone played it? Is it really a spiritual successor? If not is it fun?
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(09-24-2018, 06:25 PM)Kevin Wrote: So it's out now, has anyone played it? Is it really a spiritual successor? If not is it fun?

I haven't played it since WoW still has me sucked into a black hole I may never crawl out of, but the reviews seemed to be on the good side. Many reviewers didn't like the resource grind that anyone who played Star Control II may remember dominates the early game. Apparently that was replicated in Origins and modern gamers don't go for it.

Anyway, the legal dispute between the development team of Star Control: Origins (StarDock) and the creators of Star Control II (Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III) has just gotten even uglier. Star Control: Origins was taken off of Steam and GoG due to a DMCA takedown notice by Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III. StarDock published their response on their website. The courts will have to decide this eventually, but the spat between the two teams is all too public for now.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(06-14-2018, 10:37 AM)Jester Wrote: I'm pretty pessimistic that the current situation between Stardock and Ford/Reiche will result in anything but tears. It would be nice to be wrong!

Sometimes, it's nice to be wrong.

-Jester
Wow, that's fantastic news. An example of a bunch of people disagreeing, realizing that it's lose-lose to keep a fight going, agreeing to disagree, and move on. (And continue to make money instead of waste it, as the games can be sold again.)

I was a bit confused by the one line in that posting:

Stardock dropped all its alien name and character trademarks and all parties have dropped their oppositions to each other’s trademarks.

I'm guessing this meant Stardock's ownership (through the acquisition of the Star Control IP) of the original Star Control races. Even though Stardock decided to come up with all new races for Origins so as not to trample all over Fred and Paul, they still technically owned the original race trademarks. Or at least, they were arguing they did.

It wouldn't be fair for Stardock to be forced to give up trademarks for the race designs they created in Origins.

Someday I'll play this game when WoW doesn't suck up my life...