Useful Macros
Direct copy of a post I made on my guild's forums.

--

I use a lot of macros between my two characters, many of them shared, and I think WoW would be a hell of a lot less pleasant without them. That being so, I figure I'll share my macros with the rest of you so you can benefit from the ability to be lazy.

Multiple Skills with One Button via Modifiers

Code:
#showtooltip
/cast [mod:ctrl] Secondary Skill; Primary Skill

This macro allows you to bind multiple skills to one button via use of modifiers, which are CTRL, ALT, and SHIFT. This one specifies that you will cast Primary Skill without the modifier (CTRL, in this case) being used. If you're holding CTRL, it will cast Secondary Skill instead. The tooltip shown will be Primary Skill when CTRL is not in use, and Secondary Skill when it is. This also applies to cooldown display if you're using something like OmniCC.

If you want to use more than one modifier key - or want to allow it to use any modifier rather than a specified one - you'll want to use [mod:ctrl; mod:shift] or just plain [mod] instead. You can also specify it to use one of multiple modifiers via [mod:ctrl/shift]. ALT is also a viable modifier, so replace one of the above ones with it if you prefer ALT to SHIFT and CTRL.

I use this macro extensively on my Shaman. For instance, I have R bound to Tremor Totem and Stoneskin Totem (with the less frequently cast Stoneskin being the secondary), F is Poison Cleansing and Disease Cleansing, and G is Grounding and Windfury Totem I. It saves space on action bars (allowing for smaller bars, which gives me more viewable UI space) and makes me more efficient. It's especially handy in PvP.

Be aware that the modifier keys will not work if they're already bound to something else. CTRL-R is the framerate display function by default, so I had to unbind it prior to using the macro to make it work.

Target of Target Healing Macro

Code:
/cast [modifier:alt,target=player] Healing Wave; [target=target,help] Healing Wave; [target=targettarget,help] Healing Wave; [target=player] Healing Wave

I use this macro for literally all of my heals (except Holy Shock) on both my Shammy and Pally - it's just that good.

The macro does several things all at once for you. The first function specifies that you will heal yourself if you hold ALT (ALT also happens to be the default self-cast modifier key for all spells; you can change this under Interface Options.) Assuming you aren't holding ALT, it first checks to see if your current target is friendly; if it is, it heals your target. If your target is NOT friendly (i.e. targeting an enemy), it then checks to see if your target's target is friendly; if it is, it heals your target's target. Last, if neither of the previous two functions is true (that is, your target is not friendly and your target's target is not friendly, such as an enemy player targeting another enemy player), it heals you.

Generally this doesn't change my healing style too much - I usually prefer to target the person I'm healing - but it allows me to target a specific enemy (such as the assist-train Warrior or the boss mob) and just heal whoever they happen to be pounding on at the time. I can't recommend this macro enough.

Be aware you can also use this macro to put things like Blessing of Protection and Blessing of Freedom into use.

Mouseover Friendly Dispel Macro

Code:
/cast [target=mouseover,exists,help] Cleanse; [help] Cleanse; [target=player]Cleanse

This macro allows you to use Cleanse and similar abilities by simply mousing over the unitframe, instead of having to target and manually dispel like that. Like the above macro, it does things in a certain order: the unitframe (or unit itself) you're mousing over is checked to be friendly, and if it is, it will cast Cleanse (or whatever.) If that is not true (i.e. not a friendly), it will then proceed to try and cast Cleanse on your target. If THAT isn't true, either, it will cast Cleanse on you.

Be aware that it will still try to Cleanse a friendly, even if they have nothing to Cleanse; you need to be aware of where your cursor is to use this macro effectively - if you're mousing over a friendly who does not need dispels, but have targeted one who does, the one you have targeted will not receive those dispels until you move your cursor off of the other friendly. You may wish to remove the mouseover function if this bothers you and instead use the target of target macro above if you don't think you can be aware of your cursor at all times.

Off-hand Weapon/Shield Swap Macro

Code:
#showtooltip
/equipslot [equipped:Shields] 17 Offhand Weapon; 17 Shield

This macro allows you to quickly and efficiently switch out your offhand weapon with a shield (and vice-versa) with one button press.

The tooltip displayed will be what you will switch to - your shield when your offhand weapon is in use, and your offhand weapon when your shield is in use.

Absolutely necessary for Enhancement Shammies in PvP, because you will be switching between your shield and offhand weapon constantly. Probably also useful to Fury Warriors and Protection Warriors.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Thanks for these. I posted them on my guild site for our resident shammies.
[Image: spangles_sig_3.jpg]
Quote:
Code:
#showtooltip
/cast [mod:ctrl] Secondary Skill; Primary Skill

Dang. Here all this time I thought the mod:ctrl etc. only worked if you _clicked_ the button (which I don't do). Opens some space saving possibilities for me as this works with keybound buttons to macros.

Thanks for the post.
Quote:Dang. Here all this time I thought the mod:ctrl etc. only worked if you _clicked_ the button (which I don't do). Opens some space saving possibilities for me as this works with keybound buttons to macros.

Thanks for the post.

I actually use my bar mod to do the same thing. It's a lot easier to maintain with the bars than keeping macros up to date. I think Morde and I have very similar setups with how we use shortcuts. I've mapped

qwert
asdfg
zxcvb

To a 5x4 bar arrangement. When I hold down shift, ctrl, alt it switches to a new set of bars. Gives me a lot of available hotkeys easily accessible to my left hand.

PS

Quote:Direct copy of a post I made on my guild's forums.

Mouseover Friendly Dispel Macro

Code:
/cast [target=mouseover,exists,help] Cleanse; [help] Cleanse; [target=player]Cleanse

This macro allows you to use Cleanse and similar abilities by simply mousing over the unitframe, instead of having to target and manually dispel like that. Like the above macro, it does things in a certain order: the unitframe (or unit itself) you're mousing over is checked to be friendly, and if it is, it will cast Cleanse (or whatever.) If that is not true (i.e. not a friendly), it will then proceed to try and cast Cleanse on your target. If THAT isn't true, either, it will cast Cleanse on you.

I am in love with this macro. Isn't this basically half of the setup for raid healers (the other half being some type of raid frames, like Grid)?

I tried the multiple bars with button paging thing mentioned above, but there are some things you can't do that way (like mouseover healing) so currently I just have 2 bars that are starting to get crammed full of buttons, and a 2x12 AutoBar for basically anything I can cram into it...
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Lovely topic. Allow me to contribute.

Motes:
Code:
/use Mote of Water
/use Mote of Air
/use Mote of Earth
/use Mote of Fire
/use Mote of Mana
/use Mote of Life
/use Mote of Shadow

As a miner / engineer, I have access to motes of earth, fire, water, mana, air and shadow, and after an extended grinding sessions I frequently find myself carrying around a lot of assorted motes. This macro allows you to compress those motes into primals, multiple types at a time, without opening bags, and possibly with a bank screen open. Quite convenient when gathering a lot.

Fishing:
Code:
#showtooltip Fishing
/cast [modifier:alt] Find Fish; [button:1] Fishing
/equip [button:2] Seth's Graphite Fishing Pole

An all-in-one fishing macro. Alt-click to enable the fishy radar, click to start fishing, and rightclick to equip your fishing rod if you hadn't already. Another line with say, a control modifier to change back in your standard kit would be useful if you have but a single character with fishing skill, and if said character doesn't have a standard equipment macro already.

Crowd control:
Code:
#showtooltip
/clearfocus [target=focus,dead][target=focus,noexists][target=focus,noharm][modifier:alt]
/focus [target=focus,noexists]
/cast [target=focus] Polymorph(Rank 1: Turtle)
/cancelaura Seal of Wrath

This particular example is for the mage spell, Polymorph. Turtle is chosen for being my favourite one of the bunch. Under normal circumstances, you click it, and your target is turned into a Turtle. In addition, your target is also focused. Any subsequent clicks will result in you sheeping (or turtling) this target again, regardless of your current target. It's exceedingly useful for add control during boss fights and the like, as you can resheep this add without having to retarget.
If the macro finds that your current focus is dead, nonexistant or friendly (for example, you sheeped someone under the influence of Mind Control which faded), or if you're pressing alt, you will set the focus to your current target and sheep that one instead.
During Magister's Terrace runs I find myself spellstealing Seal of Wrath as often as possible (it adds 1500 dps when using arcane missiles, that's neat). However, it will also proc (or at least used to) off casting sheep, causing it to break instantly. Therefore I included this line in the macro to automatically cancel it - non-mages should leave this out. Polymorph can be swapped with any other, similar in-combat CC spell. Hibernate, Seduce, Fear and Roots come to mind.
My all-purpose Healing Macro is practically the same as Artega's, with the added fuctionality of the mouseover feature he describes in the next macro. The mouseover target is first in the priority list, followed by target (if friendly, target's target, and finally myself.

The only thing to watch over with the "mouseover" function is that it works both on unit/party/raid frames, and actual players on screen. It's easy to think you're healing your target when your mouse is actually hovering over a completely different player and they get the heals instead.

I notice quite a difference now when I use some of my non-macroed spells (like the rarely used Abolish Disease), and I have to remember to click and select the target before casting.

Chris
Could you please post the exact text of your macro Icebird? Mine that tries to do the same glitches.
You could try the following:

Code:
/cast [target=mouseover,exists,help][help][target=targettarget,help][target=player] <healing spell>
It will cast your <healing spell> on any friendly target your mouse is hovering over. If it doesn't, and you have a friendly target, it will cast it on your target. If that isn't true either, and your target's target is friendly, it will cast it on your target's target. Finally, if your target's target isn't friendly, it will cast it on yourself.

Note that if you have multiple conditionals for the same spell, you can simply put them next to each other. You don't have to repeat the spell for each conditional.

So for example, Artega's Mouseover Cleanse macro can be reduced to the following:

Code:
/cast [target=mouseover,exists,help][help][target=player] Cleanse
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
From memory, Alliera's wording is pretty much what I use, with the added "[modifier:alt, target=player] Healing Spell" clause so I can self-heal by holding down the Alt key (in situations where I don't want to change my current target).

Chris
Quote:From memory, Alliera's wording is pretty much what I use, with the added "[modifier:alt, target=player] Healing Spell" clause so I can self-heal by holding down the Alt key (in situations where I don't want to change my current target).

Chris

That got it, thankyou both.
Quick note for anyone new to the use of [mod] macros:

Any keybinding, such as ctrl-x, will override the mod macro bound to x.
Less QQ more Pew Pew
Quote:Quick note for anyone new to the use of [mod] macros:

Any keybinding, such as ctrl-x, will override the mod macro bound to x.

Yeah, that's mentioned in the pertinent area of my original post.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Let me add one macro of my own. I realize that I could probably do this by acquiring a mod, but I have never bothered doing so.

Code:
/cast [group,mod:shift][group,mod:alt,target=player][nogroup,help][nogroup,target=player] Blessing of <name>; [group] Greater Blessing of <name>

What this does is allow me to keep my Greater Blessings and my Blessings on one button for each. When I'm in a group, I cast Greater Blessings. When I press shift while in a group, I cast normal Blessings. If I press alt while in a group, I cast a normal Blessing on myself. If I am not in a group, I cast a normal Blessing on my target, if it is friendly. If I am not in a group, and I do not have a target, I cast a normal Blessing on myself. It's a bit clunky, but I like it.

I use other macros, but they've either already been mentioned, or are much simpler (for instance, I still use a ToT macro for my RD).
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk