Diablo III is for real
Quote:The biggest example of this is character speed in D1. much of the tension and strategy mentioned in relation to D1 is a direct effect of the slow character movement. While the slow character movement was created because if the character moved faster than that the engine and the computers of the time wouldn't be able to load the graphics and lighting fast enough for the game.

That was almost convincing until I remembered that Diablo has a teleport spell....
Quote:That was almost convincing until I remembered that Diablo has a teleport spell....
But not in town.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
D1 and D2 were each games on their own - dark, gothic fantasy with fine 2D graphics (for that time) and more colorful, comic style with D2/LoD (also 2D isometric).

I've been watching the D3 game play video several times now (note: you must see the full 1280x720 high-res version, about 600 MB file size), and all I can say is that it looks fantastic. The water, the torches, the rats, spider webs, the effects and so on - everything is in finest 3D.
Note that the game itself is also fully 3-dimensional now: dungeons will be randomly generated in 3D(!), and monsters as well as other moving objects can move and attack in any direction (x,y,z). This is a big step forward, and I'm convinced the gameplay will be as fantastic as the look.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Hi,

Quote:Note that the game itself is also fully 3-dimensional now: dungeons will be randomly generated in 3D(!), and monsters as well as other moving objects can move and attack in any direction (x,y,z). This is a big step forward
Well, is it? I'm not so sure about that.;)On a 2D display, It also means it could all become more confusing. I have a very bad sense of orientation, and I'm heavily relying on the automap feaure in this kind of games. I have very bad memories about finding my way in fully 3D dungeons in Morrowind... :wacko: Additionally, targetting a specific enemy could become harder in a fully 3D environment, or assessing if an enemy is in range to attack. To counter that, the game seems to rely more on AoE spells and such, but I'd prefer more control instead. I loved D1 in that regard, and in D2 preferred skills that could manipulate single enemies like the Necro over more mindless skills like Frozen Orb. But of course it's way too early to tell how this will be in D3. :)

-Kylearan

There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
Quote:Hi,
Well, is it? I'm not so sure about that.;)On a 2D display, It also means it could all become more confusing. I have a very bad sense of orientation, and I'm heavily relying on the automap feaure in this kind of games. I have very bad memories about finding my way in fully 3D dungeons in Morrowind... :wacko: Additionally, targetting a specific enemy could become harder in a fully 3D environment, or assessing if an enemy is in range to attack. To counter that, the game seems to rely more on AoE spells and such, but I'd prefer more control instead. I loved D1 in that regard, and in D2 preferred skills that could manipulate single enemies like the Necro over more mindless skills like Frozen Orb. But of course it's way too early to tell how this will be in D3. :)

-Kylearan
I looked for a demonstration of the Townkill skill, but they don't seem to have put that out yet. :shuriken:

The few barb skills I saw looked like warcries from D2 translated into WC III Minotaur stomps. I admit I enjoyed what they have done with the Leap-knockback feature in the gameplay video.

Also, Whirlwind/Barbarian Brand Blender Battling looks better in this 3D rendering than it did in D II, cheese or no. I didn't play much WW in D II, though now and again a Pole Arm WW was a nice way to relax and whip up some dead monsters.

So, predictions on why they went with

Ooh, eee, ooh ah ah,
Ching Chang
Walla Walla bing bang
Oh, eee, ooh ah ah
Ching Chaing
Walla Walla bang bang!

(That was from memory, old sixties tune about The Witchdoctor. Google for actual lyrics if you like)

rather than the Necromancer?

Necros were a signature Diablo II class. While I played mostly zons, assassins and Paladins, I thoroughly enoyed the variety and flexibility of the Necro. For my money, once the BG/IM bug was fixed, the best balanced class in the game with a unique feel.

From the readings, it seems they are the scapegoats for all the ills that have fallen on Sanctuary since the Worldstone turned into gravel.

Oh, and it looks as though I have to rewrite the fan story about Occhi leaving, since they have a red headed rogue on steroids in the artwork. She looks to have a terminal case of PMS.

Rogue with a tude

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I can't say that I really have an issue with the graphics at this point. To me, they look like a hi-res version of Diablo 2, with the outdoor scenes being a bit brighter, which doesn't really bother me at all since I don't like having to squint in order to see what's on the computer screen. Also, it's entirely possible that there will be a day/night cycle in the game, like there was in D2 and they had it set to stay day for the trailer. They could also have had the brightness turned up higher than what most people would play it on to make sure the video could be easily seen (no point in showcasing a game if no one can see what it is you're showcasing). Either way I'll probably still be getting the game and the only thing I'm dreading about it's release is the number of hours of my life that will be spent playing the game instead of breathing fresh air.

Quote:Rogue with a tude
Hate to burst your bubble, but that's the female version of the Barb.
http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/characte...barian.xml

There's a similar page for the witch doctor, in case anyone hasn't found it yet (hey, it's possible): http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/characte...doctor.xml
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Quote:That was almost convincing until I remembered that Diablo has a teleport spell....

Which part of my statement was that Gotcha! supposed to get?

Name one encounter in D1 that was designed around the use of Teleport. Ohhh. we can both gotcha!

Seriously though, Teleport in D1 is a totally different beast than it is in D2. Unless the player is hacking their character, in most instances it's mana/magic requirements limit it's use as a true mobility spell. Generally it's use is a get out of jail free card so that when the player starts to lose control of mob flow and such they can hit reset. This doesn't change the fact that the player still moves slowly and will have to deal with the enemies in the same way they normally would. they just get a reprieve from death and an opportunity to start controlling the fight again.

If your statement was referring to the technical limitations of the time and teleport somehow being an example of how the limitations i mentioned were false, then i suggest you go boot up D1 and teleport into a blind room. I'll put dollars down that you hear clanking, a loud groan, and are greated to the death screen before the room loads up.
Quote:So, predictions on why they went with

Ooh, eee, ooh ah ah,
Ching Chang
Walla Walla bing bang
Oh, eee, ooh ah ah
Ching Chaing
Walla Walla bang bang!

(That was from memory, old sixties tune about The Witchdoctor. Google for actual lyrics if you like)

rather than the Necromancer?

Necros were a signature Diablo II class. While I played mostly zons, assassins and Paladins, I thoroughly enoyed the variety and flexibility of the Necro. For my money, once the BG/IM bug was fixed, the best balanced class in the game with a unique feel.

From the readings, it seems they are the scapegoats for all the ills that have fallen on Sanctuary since the Worldstone turned into gravel.

Occhi

Taken from IGN's reporting:

"Jay Wilson, a lead designer on Diablo III, said the witch doctor is not a replacement for Diablo II's necromancer."

This could mean there will still be necromancers in Diablo III. Or it could mean that the skill sets of the necromancer are being split up and put into multiple new class types. It's obvious that the Witch Doctor has some of the pet utility as well as the Corpse Explosion (although this time it's mobile). From what i read though Witch Doctor is more caster and less pet.
Quote:Hate to burst your bubble, but that's the female version of the Barb.
http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/characte...barian.xml
No kidding? :rolleyes:

I was making reference to the numerous stories I have posted on the Lounge about the adventures of Occhidiangela, the rogue with auburn hair from Diablo I, and her various adventures in the world of Diablo II, though she changed her hair style and got Assassin training, using the red headed female warrior wearing green as the link. See the Atma's tavern sub forum for a few of them.
Quote: There's a similar page for the witch doctor, in case anyone hasn't found it yet (hey, it's possible): http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/characte...doctor.xml
Quote:This could mean there will still be necromancers in Diablo III. Or it could mean that the skill sets of the necromancer are being split up and put into multiple new class types. It's obvious that the Witch Doctor has some of the pet utility as well as the Corpse Explosion (although this time it's mobile). From what i read though Witch Doctor is more caster and less pet.
A mix between the Necro and the D1 sorcerer is a likely outcome.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Note that the game itself is also fully 3-dimensional now: dungeons will be randomly generated in 3D(!), and monsters as well as other moving objects can move and attack in any direction (x,y,z). This is a big step forward, and I'm convinced the gameplay will be as fantastic as the look.

Where do you get that idea? Despite the sweeping vistas, the game still look like it plays on an essentially flat plane.
We got a bit late to the opening cermony, due to the alure of the WOTLK computers. Just a minute or two before they started the gate guard let us have some press seats instead. It was quite a surprise when the guy sitting next to me stood up and walked up to the stage, to play that Diablo theme on the guitar. :lol:

I'm obviously a bit biased from watching it in such a fantastic environment, but the game trailer looks awesome. Everything ran smooth and I really like how a lot of the environment just breaks and shatters all over the place from the abilities.

Also, in one of the panels they assured us that there definatly ISN'T any cow level. Yeah right...
Quote:We got a bit late to the opening cermony, due to the alure of the WOTLK computers. Just a minute or two before they started the gate guard let us have some press seats instead. It was quite a surprise when the guy sitting next to me stood up and walked up to the stage, to play that Diablo theme on the guitar. :lol:

I'm obviously a bit biased from watching it in such a fantastic environment, but the game trailer looks awesome. Everything ran smooth and I really like how a lot of the environment just breaks and shatters all over the place from the abilities.

Also, in one of the panels they assured us that there definatly ISN'T any cow level. Yeah right...

You know seeing you post brings back memories of the old G.net servers. :) It worked so much better than B.net for a time. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:Where do you get that idea? Despite the sweeping vistas, the game still look like it plays on an essentially flat plane.
The gameplay footage with the mobs climbing up walls etc. seem to suggest it, and Frank Pierce has mentioned it during one of the panels.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Quote:You know seeing you post brings back memories of the old G.net servers. :) It worked so much better than B.net for a time. :)
Yeah, if it weren't for all the annoying noobs that crowded the server! :P

Quote:You know seeing you post brings back memories of the old G.net servers. :) It worked so much better than B.net for a time. :)

All Zon party gogogo!:shuriken:
Finally!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Where do you get that idea? Despite the sweeping vistas, the game still look like it plays on an essentially flat plane.
That was my first impression too. It looks like more 3D orthogonal projection. Unless the camera was locked for the demo movie, and in a future build, perhaps the camera can be unlocked and the scene rendered from the camera's POV. What would have been really cool for the demo would be if for the first part it was locked fooling me into thinking it was DII with better graphics, and then later they showed the camera unlocked.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:The biggest example of this is character speed in D1.

No. The biggest example of this, and the biggest thing that sets Diablo apart from Diablo II, was the tile-based environments. It FORCED strategy, because it limited EVERYTHING. When they did away with tile-based environments, the entire game dynamic changed.

I, personally, don't consider that a bad thing. I LOVE Diablo for what it is, and I LOVE Diablo II (until it got broken; but that's a different rant) for what it is. D3 is just the evolution of D2, and IMHO (I know, call my a fanboy and losing my cynicism, but I can't help it) for the better. It looks to me like they took some of the worst gameplay elements in D2 (lack of mobility / AoE for melee) and fixed them, while expanding the core game. That is not a bad thing!

If D3 isn't your cup of tea, so be it! Don't buy it! Bitch and whine about the graphics, the gameplay, everything. Personally, I'm going to buy it because what I've seen shows me a great game, one vastly improved in areas where D2 was weak. It's not going to be D1. NOTHING is! D1 is its own game, just as D2 is, and D3 is. Starcraft II is no different in this regard, in comparison to Starcraft. Where's all the whining about 3D environments there? Too much WC3 influence? Etc. etc. etc. People here didn't bitch this much about the evolution of WC2 to WC3 for crying out loud! Why this? Why now?! Because you CAN? Come on.

I'll be the first to admit to being the loudest complainer on these boards when it came to D2, but it was never about graphics, or strategy. It was about lack of BALANCE, and a poor direction towards a mob pinata mentality. Take a few single elements of the game and crank them up to Uber-Godliness, and utterly destroy everything in its wake. The actual gameplay? The graphics? The art and sound and everything else? Perfectly fine to me, just as it will be in D3.

I just had to rant my incredulity over people's reaction to the game. Sorry if that steps on some people's toes, but honestly, I just don't get it. Maybe I never will, because I like what I see, and am excited about it. What I care about is solid gameplay and BALANCE. So far, the gameplay looks spot on, worlds better than D2 (and honestly, D2 wasn't half bad). If they can keep things in check without utterly destroying 90% of the game to appease a few idiots who want an instant candy button, I'll be set for my gaming needs for the next 5 years. Guaranteed.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
3D elements (and core graphics) with a locked camera is probably the best way the game can play. Maybe they can play with the 3D, but I wouldn't unlock the camera. Unlocking the camera has hurt many a game series (I'm looking at you, Suikoden), don't do it because it helps you zoom in or make things more 3D.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:That was my first impression too. It looks like more 3D orthogonal projection. Unless the camera was locked for the demo movie, and in a future build, perhaps the camera can be unlocked and the scene rendered from the camera's POV. What would have been really cool for the demo would be if for the first part it was locked fooling me into thinking it was DII with better graphics, and then later they showed the camera unlocked.

They have said that the camera angle is going to stay locked at a 1/3 isometric view like previous diablo games. they could unlock the camera if they wanted to having designed the levels and characters as 3d models, but they feel the game works best as it is. They have said they want anyone that can click a mouse to be able to play diablo 3 and adding in the need to mess with camera angles goes against that philosophy.