Diablo III is for real
So, how many people cranked up the gamma in D2 just to be able to see? I know I did.

Fake Edit: So Blizzard says they're going much deeper into story telling this time, while not letting it take away from the action. I believe they'll hold this promise, as the guy working on the world is Leonard Boyarsky, whose credits include the original Fallout, Arcanum, and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Just, uh, don't let him near the code?:)
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:So, how many people cranked up the gamma in D2 just to be able to see? I know I did.

I always made sure I didn't turn it up too high.:)I had some pretty scary moments the first time I played Diablo II. Nothing compared to (classic) Diablo, but I'm quite certain that's simply because I've gotten 'used' to it. I still had my moments of fright in Diablo II, for instance the guard of the Malus, as well as the dude in the River of Flames, I believe. Anyway, to be honest, I feel that most of the 'scare' is just between my ears. I mean, I was a lot younger when I first played the classic Diablo, and had tried out a number of games between Diablo I and Diablo II. I may have just gotten used to 'fright'. Still, I think if I hadn't seen it in the movie, I would have retreated a bit when seeing those ghouls crawl up the walels towards me.

Personally, while I agree with many of the points that Gnollguy is making in regards to the artistic quality of the game, I still think that it will be a fantastic game. I've become numb towards to 'scare ' and the like, because I've just played too many games. I'll just play with a build that's not quite like other builds -- like I always do -- and still be scared #$%&less when I see a monster forming from the bones up to the skin. Really, how can you not find it frightening to see a monster form from nothing to fully fleshed out (quite literally). The only reasonable reason I can think of is that you are simply too used to horrifying sights on your computer screen, which depicts fictional images.

In the end, the thing I'm interested in most is the story and a 'fun' and 'playable' game.

Though... I do hope there will be a 'hardcore' mode, since 'normal' seems to be a bit too lenient for my tastes.
Quote:Wow, this place still remembers my name after more than 4 years!

Well I'm excited.
I was surprised too, but only ~28 months for me.

... looks like I'll have another addiction to try and break... unless they go pay 2 play :(
Quote:http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/

Awsome gameplay footage:)

BR Anders

The minute I saw the announcement and trailers, I knew another 10 years had just been taken off my life, lol (unless of course I absolutly dont like the game, but its lookin mighty good so far).

This game looks awesome. Customiziation of chars, gender choice, on 5 char (perfect amount, anymore then that is too much IMO) is great. The graphics look fantastic to me, much less cartoony then WoW.

I see alot of people complaining that this doesnt capture the dark feel that D1 has, but lets face it, I dont think any game ever will. D1 will always be the best.

That said, im extremly excited about D3 and the release date cannot come soon enough! The game play looks excelllent for the most part, it looks like some of the elements in using the terrain to your advantage as used in D1 are gonna make a return, which is a huge plus. One reason I was disappointed with D2 was for the reasons many have already mentioned in this thread, mostly open environments. D3 will certainly have some of this but if its mixed up a bit at least its more tolerable. Will be interesting to see what the other 3 classes are. Cant wait to see an updated version of FireIce, assuming there is a Rogue/Amazon type class :)

Cant wait to test out the PvP either B)

Cheers.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
Quote:So, how many people cranked up the gamma in D2 just to be able to see? I know I did.

Fake Edit: So Blizzard says they're going much deeper into story telling this time, while not letting it take away from the action. I believe they'll hold this promise, as the guy working on the world is Leonard Boyarsky, whose credits include the original Fallout, Arcanum, and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Just, uh, don't let him near the code?:)
*Screams like a fanboy*

LB's on the team? Well holy damn. He's no MCA, but that's akin to saying that gold is no platinum.

D3 has just sold itself to me.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386

Actually, I always turned it down to about 2/3rd from full. And not for a "dark, atmospheric effect", but just so I didn't get blinded by the overwhelming contrast pushing everything to white.
Quote:Of course Blizzard has some obligation to suit my tastes. I"M EVENTUALLY GOING TO BE PAYING FOR THE DAMNED GAME, THIS IS A RECIPROCAL RELATIONSHIP. Complete nonsense to suggest that I don't matter.

But only some obligation. They have to satisfy the "community" in some broad sense; not all individuals' opinions are equal to one another - you have some hardcore gamers and casual fans.
Hey, I'm not getting into this argument. Just wanted to say I'm donning my "Gold Find" suit and making 1000 simultaneous Mephisto runs to get the most leet uber pwnzU suit you could imagine.

The parts of the game I want them to get correct are... If I join a game to play PVE and progress my char, some ahole doesn't pop in and PVP my party and the game objective does not devolve into replaying the same content 5000 times in hopes the item I want/need which drops .00000000001% of the time, will somehow miraculously drop for me. For me a successful game will highlight the experience of the character, and the skill of the player rather than the gear they are wearing.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I do. I would hate to walk by my only Zod.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:If I join a game to play PVE and progress my char, some ahole doesn't pop in and PVP my party

The early outlook on this is promising:

Quote:I won't deny there are some that would enjoy nothing more than to see others frustrated, but is that truly something that should be encouraged through design - if not directly opposed?

We have a large focus on cooperative play for Diablo III, and the mechanics and design decisions related to multiplayer are likely going to be based on supporting and encouraging it as much as possible, and not breaking it down.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
I'm assuming there will be a ranged attacking class, a ninja or samurai would be a nice choice. As a ninja you would be fast, nimble, use some traps and exotic weapons and maybe blow darts and bows. A samurai would likely have more strength, my opinion.

I would guess there will be another warrior type class. Something not as strong as the barbarian but strong in other ways, like the paladin was. We'll be interesting to see what they have for us.

Quote:The minute I saw the announcement and trailers, I knew another 10 years had just been taken off my life, lol (unless of course I absolutly dont like the game, but its lookin mighty good so far).

This game looks awesome. Customiziation of chars, gender choice, on 5 char (perfect amount, anymore then that is too much IMO) is great. The graphics look fantastic to me, much less cartoony then WoW.

I see alot of people complaining that this doesnt capture the dark feel that D1 has, but lets face it, I dont think any game ever will. D1 will always be the best.

That said, im extremly excited about D3 and the release date cannot come soon enough! The game play looks excelllent for the most part, it looks like some of the elements in using the terrain to your advantage as used in D1 are gonna make a return, which is a huge plus. One reason I was disappointed with D2 was for the reasons many have already mentioned in this thread, mostly open environments. D3 will certainly have some of this but if its mixed up a bit at least its more tolerable. Will be interesting to see what the other 3 classes are. Cant wait to see an updated version of FireIce, assuming there is a Rogue/Amazon type class :)

Cant wait to test out the PvP either B)

Cheers.
I am convinced more and more that it is the "bloom" effect and the stone textures most affecting me. Having realistic metal would be a much welcomed touch, but those things really "grind my gears". Oh, and the polygonal destroyed environments.

But much easier than I thought!
In Hoc Signio Vinces.
Quote:I think these are two separate types of terror. Diablo original always inspired more of the "I wish someone else was home", "I wish it wasn't past midnight", or perhaps even "I wish I had some clean pants" varieties.

Diablo II was generally more like "Ahh! I think I might die... <Wusscore>to my mild frustration.</Wusscore> <Hardcore>DAMNIT!</Hardcore>"

Diablo II fear is not visceral. It is fear of future frustration or annoyance by breaking up the slaughterfest, perhaps minor experience loss, or undoing days or weeks of work; this is fear that ones' character will die.

Ten years after I started playing Diablo, I reinstalled it, booted it up, and STILL jumped when I heard a horned demon bellow, followed by the blur charging straight at my poor under-equipped character. "My god," I said to myself "I thought I was going to die for a moment there."

--me
I guess an "Adventure" game with some Gothic horror elements has more mass appeal than a "Gothic Horror" game you can adventure within. It's all about the Benjamins my friend.

Quote:Actually, I always turned it down to about 2/3rd from full. And not for a "dark, atmospheric effect", but just so I didn't get blinded by the overwhelming contrast pushing everything to white.

Dito. Mt. Arreat-/Frozen Tundra-blindness, anyone?

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Quote:Dito. Mt. Arreat-/Frozen Tundra-blindness, anyone?

Greetings, Fragbait

Firstly, it's spelled ditto, not dito.

Secondly, I refuse to accept any claims of Mt. Arreat/Frozen Tundra blindness without proper medical documentation and verifiable eyewitness accounts. Otherwise your claims are outlandish and have no place in this department, or this university.

~Frag :angry:

<span style="color:#333333">P.S. It's not nice to bait Frag... :P
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Quote:I'm assuming there will be a ranged attacking class, a ninja or samurai would be a nice choice. As a ninja you would be fast, nimble, use some traps and exotic weapons and maybe blow darts and bows. A samurai would likely have more strength, my opinion.

I would guess there will be another warrior type class. Something not as strong as the barbarian but strong in other ways, like the paladin was. We'll be interesting to see what they have for us.
I would enjoy the assassin "ninja" being able to mostly stay shadowy/invisible to others unless attacking. Witch doctor is probably one of the new classes, and I expect there may be a few more new "hybrid" classes. I also expect the return of the reworked traditional necromancer, druid, amazon, sorceress, and paladin. You could look to the mythos to get some insight as well. Perhaps an "Iron Wolf" type class that blends fighter/mage, or maybe like the act two merc which combines paladin/polearm fighter.

P.S. Here is an article reporting from Worldwide Invitational 2008 where Leonard Boyarsky, Brian Morrisroe and Jay Wilson talk about character class creation in DIII.

Lessons in the World's Greatest Debaters

Quote:Firstly, it's spelled ditto, not dito.
No, it's "Dito" not "dito". Obviously you've never heard of the great foil Dito Dubelkwoate II. In the debating world, Dito was well known for his tendency to agree with whatever he just heard. This made him popular with "debaters" who were too proud to hear real counter-arguments and/or too lazy to counter counter-arguments.

Dito gets around and he likes to initial a lot of things -- he uses his suffix, "II", and uses a font where the I is just a straight line, resulting in this mark:

"

I could add a comment here about what my mark (below) represents, but this is a family forum.

-V

<span style="color:#333333">P.S. Cool P.S. color...
Quote:No, it's "Dito" not "dito".
Or, DITO if you happen to be referring to the DoD IPv6 Transition Office.

Quote:I guess an "Adventure" game with some Gothic horror elements has more mass appeal than a "Gothic Horror" game you can adventure within. It's all about the Benjamins my friend.

While in general I have to agree with this sentiment, it doesn't mean I have to like it.

Sadface.

--me
I'm not so sure going back to the "gritty" look of D2 would be a good idea. Having D3 look gritty would, imo, make it look dated and low-res; also, it seems to be something that would only work in a 2D game.

As to the perspective, I'd imagine it would be a lot like what you had in WC3; in that the default is the 3/4 perspective, but you can zoom in and tilt the camera to make it feel more like a modern game.

Yes, I've become somewhat rather addicted to it again and am dragging FoxBat along with me. I suppose I should switch my game/pw naming conventions over to one of the ones used by LL/AB/RB, but old habits die hard and I'm still using the game/pw from way back when.

This time around I'm making chars that I meant to try but never got around to, that is: Chain Lightning Sorc, Werewolf Druid, Shock Zealot, FA Zon. There were others I never got around to either, but I want to get these done first.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Quote:I'm not so sure going back to the "gritty" look of D2 would be a good idea. Having D3 look gritty would, imo, make it look dated and low-res; also, it seems to be something that would only work in a 2D game.

As to the perspective, I'd imagine it would be a lot like what you had in WC3; in that the default is the 3/4 perspective, but you can zoom in and tilt the camera to make it feel more like a modern game.

Yes, I've become somewhat rather addicted to it again and am dragging FoxBat along with me. I suppose I should switch my game/pw naming conventions over to one of the ones used by LL/AB/RB, but old habits die hard and I'm still using the game/pw from way back when.

This time around I'm making chars that I meant to try but never got around to, that is: Chain Lightning Sorc, Werewolf Druid, Shock Zealot, FA Zon. There were others I never got around to either, but I want to get these done first.
Hardcore or softcore? East or West?

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete