Do you Know what I do on Sunday?
Hello :w00t:

It's Sunday June 8th 2008 2pm Arizona time [no DST]...I'm not in a Game, not reading the Newspaper and not watching TV...see my quote below :D

What did you do Sunday ? :)
Quote:I'm Surfing the Web for a URL for this Thread "Share your Surfing with Lurkers":blink:

Look what I found...> A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A TURD"
If I urinated into a pitcher of drinking water and then proceeded to quench my thirst from the pitcher, I would undoubtedly be considered crazy. If I invented an expensive technology to put my urine and feces into my drinking water, and then invented another expensive (and undependable) technology to make the same water fit to drink, I might be thought even crazier. It is not inconceivable that some psychiatrist would ask me knowingly why I wanted to mess up my drinking water in the first place." *Wendell Berry*

When I was a kid, I listened to veterans talking about their stints in the Korean War. Usually after a beer or two, they'd turn their conversation to the "outhouses" used by the Koreans. They were amazed, even mystified about the fact that the Koreans tried to lure passersby to use their outhouses by making the toilets especially attractive. The idea of someone wanting someone else's crap always brought out a loud guffaw from the vets. Only a groveling, impoverished, backward gink would stoop so low as to beg for a turd. Haw, Haw.

Perhaps this attitude sums up the attitudes of Americans. Humanure is a waste product, plain and simple. We have to get rid of it and that's all there is to it. Only fools would think otherwise. One of the effects of this sort of attitude is that Americans don't know and probably don't care where their humanure goes after it emerges from their backsides, as long as they don't have to deal with it.
Human Waste Being Used In Fertilizer In Washington State :whistling:

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
A few years back there was a scare with southern California school lunches when it was discovered strawberries were tainted with hepatitis. How? Because human sewage contaminated with the virus was being used to fertilize the fields.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Quote:Hello :w00t:

It's Sunday June 8th 2008 2pm Arizona time [no DST]...I'm not in a Game, not reading the Newspaper and not watching TV...see my quote below :D

"Americans don't know and probably don't care where their humanure goes"

That would include me. :) This farm boy would rather stay with cow manure.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hello :w00t:

Beeeeeep !!! Wrong, Washington State is still part of the USA:P

Edit: Where is your farm kandrathe, is it in...> Minnesota Farmers Use Human Waste Fertilizer :w00t:

Quote:Japan: :shuriken:

The reuse of feces as fertilizer was common in Japan. Waste products of rich people were sold at Higher prices because their diet was better. Various historic documents dating from the 9th century detail the disposal procedures for toilet waste.

Selling human waste products as fertilizers became much less common after World War II, both for sanitary reasons and because of the proliferation of chemical fertilizers, and less than 1% is used for night soil fertilization.
Quote:"Americans don't know and probably don't care where their humanure goes"

That would include me. :) This farm boy would rather stay with cow manure.

Hi,

Ouch, I love Strawberry short cake :P

Quote:Minnesota Farmers Use Human Waste Fertilizer

DULUTH, Minn. - Farmers in northeast Minnesota are using a fertilizer rich in phosphorus, nitrogen and organic matter that can boost crop yields by 80 percent. Best of all, it's free.

The problem, for some, is that it's made of treated human waste, which opponents say is environmentally unsafe and unhealthy for animals and other people.

"It's disgusting to think that everything we pour down our drains and flush down our toilets, in our homes and hospitals and paper mills, is ending up on our local farms," said Inese Holte, an area resident and longtime opponent. "What we're doing to our rural neighbors is awful. The farmers will take it because they are hurting and it's free. But we shouldn't be giving it to them at all."

But proponents say it's the ultimate in recycling.
Quote:A few years back there was a scare with southern California school lunches when it was discovered strawberries were tainted with hepatitis. How? Because human sewage contaminated with the virus was being used to fertilize the fields.

In Virginia, the production and application of Biosolids (humanure for use in agriculture) is monitored and regulated by two seperate agencies: the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) regulates the facilities that collect the "raw" materials and produce this fertilizer, and the Department of Health handles permitting and regulation of the application of these materials. However, the DEQ can get involved on the "back-end" if the land abuts contiguous waters and therefore could return materials to drinking water sources in the form of run-off. The biosolids initiative is one of the governers pet projects, along with municipal waste incinerators for power generation. Both of which are causing big increases in monitoring, permitting and regulation staff commitments whlie the state is in a hiring freeze, and is offereing years of service credit to staffers close to retirement if they'll leave their jobs now.

With regard to Sunday, I flew home from a wedding in Atlanta. An outdoor wedding at 5PM, in June, in Atlanta. Brilliant planning that.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!

There is a joke in here somewhere...

Nah not worth getting kicked off the forums for making it. :D
On Sunday, I loaded an old hot water tank, an ancient pressure tank and an equally ancient oil heater into my car and took them to the dump. (It only cost me $5 to leave them there.) Then I mucked about in the pumphouse, trying to achieve the last step in the saga of 'replace the pump that stopped working'. I managed to jury-rig a connection from the new pump to the pipe to the cottage and achieved that most essential of modern luxuries - running water. :w00t:

Then I had a mercifully brief conversation with my brother-in-law about his latest notion for 'improving the waterfront'. (It ended with me saying: "If you must go ahead, please give me a written acknowledgement that you will pay any fines arising from your project.") <_<

Then I washed the dishes, washed the floors, packed the car and drove home through thundershowers.

Oh, and yes, the issue of humanure is one that I contemplate every time I check the ancient septic tank at the cottage. :rolleyes:
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Hi,

Quote::rolleyes:
Welcome back.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Where is your farm kandrathe, is it in...
Near Cambridge.

The farms up here look like this.

[Image: farm400.jpg]

In the latest news;

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said that since mid-April, 145 people infected with salmonella with the same "genetic fingerprint" have been identified. At least 23 people have been hospitalized.

A 67-year-old cancer patient in Texas who health officials said was sickened by salmonella at a Mexican restaurant is believed to be the first death associated with the outbreak.

The death of Raul Rivera last week has been officially attributed to his cancer, but Houston health department spokeswoman Kathy Barton told the Houston Chronicle in Tuesday's editions that the salmonella strain was a contributing factor.

Rivera's wife said he was hospitalized after eating pico de gallo, a tomato-based condiment, in late May while celebrating good news about his cancer treatment.

Salmonella is a bacteria that lives in the intestinal tracts of humans and other animals. The bacteria are usually transmitted to humans by eating foods contaminated with animal feces.

Adds new meaning to that colorful phrase, "Eat excrement and die."
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]