The cup runeth over for Detroit
As much as the Pens fan inside me is pained to say, the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup tonight at the Melon Arena in Pittsburgh.

After a mediocre first 2 games of the series, the last four games were an absolute treat. Three cheers to a great team, and Henrik Zetterberg for a much deserved Conn Smythe series performance.

I already ordered new NHL clothing tonight and am looking forward to next October.

Cheers,

Munk
I was pulling for the Pens too. As a Leafs fan, I automatically hate the Red Wings. The enemy of my enemy is my friend:)

The Pens should be a very good team for as long as they can keep their core group of young guys together. I expect them to compete for the Cup for the next few years.

On a personal note, the Leafs are a joke right now. They have no GM, no coach, and no captain :(
Quote:On a personal note, the Leafs are a joke right now. They have no GM, no coach, and no captain :(

And on top of that, we now have this.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...gM&refer=canada

I have little sympathy for the Leafs situation in general, but I do sympathize with Sundin. Seems like a decent enough guy. My impression is he may genuinely like Toronto, and he might in fact be loyal to the Leafs. (Something that's retro nowadays.) Why he's loyal to them, is something I personally don't understand.

Quote:And on top of that, we now have this.

I came here to report the same thing! Say it ain't so. Granted I don't get to hear Hockey Night in Canada all that often stateside, it's still a familiar tune that I'd be sad to see it go (says the man who has the FOX-NFL and ESPN theme songs on his iPod :whistling:).

To DeeBye, how you feel about the Wings is how I feel about the Habs :angry:

As for the leafs, ugh. I feel for the fans of such a storied franchise, and its terrible to see the state they are in. I agree with Hammerskjold that Mats Sundin is a good guy on and off the ice. But its ripe time for the Leafs to shake things up in their lineup (and this time actually find trades, unlike this years Trade deadline debacle).

Unfortunately without an upper administration, there's little hope for a roster adjustment. And the Leafs may be mired in another year of struggling before there's any real light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers,

Munk
Quote:And on top of that, we now have this.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...gM&refer=canada

A deal is still possible.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008...ight-theme.html

I can't fathom why the CBC is even prepared to consider the possibility of losing the HNiC theme. It's unthinkable.

I have that song as my cell phone ring tune:)
Quote:A deal is still possible.

That's now out of the window apparently. TSN (CTV) has now scooped it, and bought the song.
According to this at least. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240196

Quote:I can't fathom why the CBC is even prepared to consider the possibility of losing the HNiC theme. It's unthinkable.

I have that song as my cell phone ring tune:)

Funny you mentioned the ringtone, since depending on which version of the story being heard, that played a part in the debacle.

I'm not a huge hockey fan by any means, but a lot of my friends are and so the Wings winning the Cup was a great excuse to get drunk with some buddies on a Wednesday night. Wheee:)

I will say though, as someone who watches football and baseball for 80% of his sports, hockey has the most exciting OT of any sport I have ever seen (even though we didn't win it, the triple OT in the finals with the series on the line had me on the edge of my seat the whole way though). One of my roommates was a huge Wings and Capitals (he loves Ovechkin) fan and he would watch every single one of each team's regular season games and I would have him tell me if any game went to OT because that was the only time I cared to watch hockey.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London