EURO2008
Hi,

Quote:Portugal 2-3 Germany

How was the match? Looks like a nailbiter.
Not only a nailbiter, but a really good match of high-quality soccer to watch as well, very entertaining - unlike Germany's last three matches.;)

We scored two goals quickly, one very good combination by Podolski and Schweinsteiger, and a header after a free kick. But the Portuguese never gave up and played well too. Unfortunately for them, our defense managed to neutralize their offense quite well, although we didn't manage to stop Ronaldo all the time - but then who can? They scored the 1:2 before the break, and they deserved it.

During the second half, another header after a free kick put us back to a 2 goal lead - Ricardo, Portugal's goalkeeper, clearly is one of their weak spots. They played all-offense then of course, and scored the 2:3 in the 81st minute, and 15 minutes of nail-biting ensued. I was completely exhausted afterwards, as was the rest of the pub I had been watching the game.:)Afterwards, the streets were crowded with people partying like we were European champions already. Great atmosphere to drink a couple of beers. :D

Quote:I had a disaster day at work.
Doesn't sound too good... :ph34r:

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
Heiho,

ok, yesterday's game was quite outstanding compared to the last games involving the german team.
I'm the only one thinking they should ban the main coach as far as possible away from the team from now on, no?

Now today's game had a soporific second half, only matched in tranquility by the first half. So indeed Croatian vs Turkish team needed extra time. Which was pretty boring as well, up to the 120th minute when Croatia finally scored a goal. Well, and a minute later they catched one, so it was penalty kicking.

Turkey won :-)
Interesting side point is, they won mainly because two Croatians missed the goal. The turkish keeper catched one shot, too, and I'm quite happy for the guy, he didn't seem to be a lucky one at all before ... he's only second in charge, but the german team would be better advised to not rely on that.
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
It was a long game to watch as there was not too much action save for some early high quality chances (off the cross bar, wowzer!) Croatia scored a spectacular goal on a Turkish error with 1:30 +stoppage to go at which point the game looked over. All of over time teams were playing it safe and there wasn't much offense to really expect much. THEN AMAZINGLY Turkey comes back with a quick strike to the top shelf off a long bomb right in front of the box to tie it up in stoppage time. If Croatia's goal didn't get you on your feet for the rest of the match, this surely did it.

Then comes the shootout. To be honest I figured on Croatia winning the match, but most certainly in penalty kicks for the sole reason Turkey had their backup goaltender between the posts. Penalty kicks are a far shot for goalkeepers in the first place, so forget for second string. I was quite impressed with Rüştü's performance, however. Granted, two shots from Croatia weren't even on goal, but actually on both shots he defended correctly and it appears as if the shots had been on target he would have had an excellent chance of stopping them. Then of course he makes the save for the win.

The bad news for Turkey despite their Cinderellas-story comeback victories is that they will likely be down 5 starting players, including their goalkeeper. They just won't be able to withstand Germany. Netherlands and Italy will win both their quarters, Netherlands will take the semis and we should she a very entertaining matchup between Germany and the Dutch.

Go Miroslav Klose!
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Hi,

Quote:Now today's game had a soporific second half, only matched in tranquility by the first half. So indeed Croatian vs Turkish team needed extra time. Which was pretty boring as well, up to the 120th minute
I figured beforehand that this game would probably be very boring, so decided to take a break from watching soccer for that day. Only when the game had nearly ended I read on the internet that extra-time was needed, and decided to tune in for the last five minutes of extra time simply to see the result.

Looks like that this had been an excellent choice, as I came to see the only exciting part of the match. :DCrazy, really crazy I say! How the Turkish managed to score all these last minute goals in every game is really spooky. :ph34r:

Looking forward to Netherlands vs. Spain, the two teams that I admired the most in this tournament thus far. Could be a *great* match to watch! :w00t:

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
Quote:Looking forward to Netherlands vs. Spain, the two teams that I admired the most in this tournament thus far. Could be a *great* match to watch! :w00t:

-Kylearan

It's Russia vs. Italy. The teams that were good in the preliminaries always lose out!
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Quote:It's Russia vs. Italy. The teams that were good in the preliminaries always lose out!
Seems indeed to be the most likely.
Russia was very good.....and Holland was incredibly bad.....I'm still recovering.....
Quote:Seems indeed to be the most likely.
Russia was very good.....and Holland was incredibly bad.....I'm still recovering.....

On the bright side, Holland's one goal was brilliant!:)
Heiho,

Turkey vs Germany 2:3

regardless of the result I want to back up my previous statement about the german coach.
Power of Will and Pep Talk aren't enough if a team wants to play big games. Especially if the opposite team also has Power of Will, plus far better teamplay and less tech flaws. This games' result sadly gives a wrong impression.
so long ...
librarian

Diablo II FAQtoids
Quote: This games' result sadly gives a wrong impression.

Didn't see the game (have no TV) but I am not surprised by Germany going to the finals.

The Germans are the ultimate team for will power....it doesn't matter who plays, they will always go far.
Quote:Didn't see the game (have no TV) but I am not surprised by Germany going to the finals.

The Germans are the ultimate team for will power....it doesn't matter who plays, they will always go far.
You may not know of them, but around many regions American football at the college level is almost as big as the professional version. One of the teams in our conference, the Michigan Wolverines, always seem to pull out a win even when they are severely over matched or behind on points. It comes down to a winning spirit and tradition. They never give up trying throughout the entire game, so you may think you have them beat, but their will and spirit to win is never beaten.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Heiho,

Turkey vs Germany 2:3

regardless of the result I want to back up my previous statement about the german coach.
Power of Will and Pep Talk aren't enough if a team wants to play big games. Especially if the opposite team also has Power of Will, plus far better teamplay and less tech flaws. This games' result sadly gives a wrong impression.

I wouldn't quite agree. The Turks certainly played much better in the first half, but the Germans came back in the second half to play like the strong team they are. Either way, however, it was an exciting game. Turkey pulled out another miraculous play in the final fives minutes to tie the score - how do they do it! Unfortunately for them, Philip Lahm set up a great give-and-go and scored in the final minute to take the lead and eventual win.

I was also happy to see Klose have a few good plays and a goal (GO KLOSE!). Throughout this tournament he's been a ghost. I have so rarely heard the announcers say his name it would be easy to forget he's even on the field. I don't even think Lehman should start in the final :/ Here's for Germany all the way in Euro 2008!
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Heiho,
Quote:...the Germans came back in the second half to play like the strong team they are.
my point is exactly that they are _not_ a strong team. Each individual might be able to outclass any or at least most of the Turkisk team ;-)
Or any of the preliminary games' opponents, really. Not to say any of the teams encountered during the recent international games between qualification and actual tournament.
Still they work as a team only under the pressure of being the 'underdog'.

Which is, given today's match, where Spain won against Russia 3:0, their only chance in the finale.

Neither Klinsmann (who ended his coaching before anyone could bother him to really do some _work_ for and with the team) nor Loew have mastered the initial flaws of the german team as such. So to say, the players still seem to pass a ball only accidential to one of their mates, and statistically bang per buck of free and corner kicks is abysimal. A corner kick is not intended to get the opposite team into your own goal zone in less than a minute.

But well, regardless of finale's result there will be a big feast and the means which led to the german team's participation will be forgotten instantly. Let there be Bread and Games.

End of rant.
so long ...
librarian

Diablo II FAQtoids