Kindergarten boy voted out of class
(CBS) A Port St. Lucie, Fla., mother is outraged and considering legal action after her son's kindergarten teacher led his classmates to vote him out of class. Melissa Barton says Morningside Elementary teacher Wendy Portillo had her son's classmates say what they didn't like about 5-year-old Alex. She says the teacher then had the students vote, and voted Alex, who is being evaluated for Asperger's syndrome -- an autism spectrum disorder -- out of the class by a 14-2 margin.

Barton filed a complaint with Morningside's school resource officer. St. Lucie School spokeswoman Janice Karst said the district is investigating the incident, but could not make any further comment. The state attorney's office concluded the matter did not meet the criteria for emotional child abuse, so no criminal charges will be filed. Teacher Wendy Portillo was advised by the school board not to speak to the press so she declined our interview offer.

Story: Kindergartener Voted Out By Students
Video of Interview with Mom

Follow up story: Palm Beach Post -- Morningside teacher being investigated after boy, 5, voted out of class
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hi,

Quote:Teacher Wendy Portillo was advised by the school board not to speak to the press so she declined our interview offer.
I can understand that. Clearly the requirements to teach in that school district are a pulse and a room temperature IQ. She's the kind of teacher someone should take out fishing -- and use as bait.

What will be interesting, a la Paul Harvey, is "The Rest of the Story."

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:(CBS) A Port St. Lucie, Fla., mother is outraged and considering legal action after her son's kindergarten teacher led his classmates to vote him out of class. Melissa Barton says Morningside Elementary teacher Wendy Portillo had her son's classmates say what they didn't like about 5-year-old Alex. She says the teacher then had the students vote, and voted Alex, who is being evaluated for Asperger's syndrome -- an autism spectrum disorder -- out of the class by a 14-2 margin.

Barton filed a complaint with Morningside's school resource officer. St. Lucie School spokeswoman Janice Karst said the district is investigating the incident, but could not make any further comment. The state attorney's office concluded the matter did not meet the criteria for emotional child abuse, so no criminal charges will be filed. Teacher Wendy Portillo was advised by the school board not to speak to the press so she declined our interview offer.

Follow up story: Palm Beach Post -- Morningside teacher being investigated after boy, 5, voted out of class
Someone watched too much Survivor on TV. Teacher, students, or all of them?

This story smells. Give it a few days to see what's behind it.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Someone watched too much Survivor on TV. Teacher, students, or all of them?

This story smells. Give it a few days to see what's behind it.

Occhi
TCPalm: Anthony Westbury -- Teacher flap is a surprise

There is at least one other Port St. Lucie resident who is on the "wait and see" list.

Here is a pretty thorough review of the legal implications on an Autism awareness site: Wendy Portillo's Psychological Mob Lynching of a 5 Year Old And, I would say that even smart people make stupid mistakes, and this appears to be one of those times. Ms. Portillo seems to have erred in her judgment by allowing her class to become a democracy, whereas it is incumbent upon every teacher to LEAD the class and JUDGE what actions are appropriate and inappropriate, even when that is her own behavior. Unless we have been mislead by the facts, I'm still siding with the boy and his mother until exculpatory evidence is released exonerating the teacher here. What has been publicly admitted is unacceptable in any school, in any grade level. It is unfortunate that this otherwise outstanding teacher has made what seems to be a monumental error, which will likely end her career in Port St. Lucie at least.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:(CBS) A Port St. Lucie, Fla., mother is outraged and considering legal action after her son's kindergarten teacher led his classmates to vote him out of class. Melissa Barton says Morningside Elementary teacher Wendy Portillo had her son's classmates say what they didn't like about 5-year-old Alex. She says the teacher then had the students vote, and voted Alex, who is being evaluated for Asperger's syndrome -- an autism spectrum disorder -- out of the class by a 14-2 margin.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure we're getting the full picture here. I'm willing to bet that the student was constantly bickering with his fellow students and they started to complain to the teacher. The teacher then probbably tried to talk to the student but couldn't get a clear picture of what was going on so decided it best to ask the other students what it was that he did that they found so bothersome. At this point perhaps the teacher felt it best to "ask" her pupils what they thought they should do with the student, assuming they were moral and would want him to 'fit' into the classroom. I can imagine her shock when they decided to hold a vote to remove him from the classroom, at which point I have no idea why she went along with it.

From this point on, much is left to speculation; did the teacher actually remove the student from the classroom or was this all just rhetoric? Did the teacher talk to the class about their decision and how it might hurt the students feelings? I don't know, and to see how everyone who knew the teacher was shocked? Seems like typical spin to make a story out of nothing on the medias part, and up-at-arms civil rights people helping to fuel this story. But I might be totally incorrect and the teacher may just be a sadist, or have had a really bad day and wasn't going to put up with anymore crap. I suppose time will tell.

"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:I'm sorry, but I'm not sure we're getting the full picture here. I'm willing to bet that the student was constantly bickering with his fellow students and they started to complain to the teacher. The teacher then probably tried to talk to the student but couldn't get a clear picture of what was going on so decided it best to ask the other students what it was that he did that they found so bothersome. At this point perhaps the teacher felt it best to "ask" her pupils what they thought they should do with the student, assuming they were moral and would want him to 'fit' into the classroom. I can imagine her shock when they decided to hold a vote to remove him from the classroom, at which point I have no idea why she went along with it.
Well, probably not this scenario. If the child does have Asberger's, or some type of Autism then the school district is obligated to try to work something out. This teacher seems used to teaching at a higher grade level from what I can tell, and so may not be familiar with 5 year old behavior and probably not used to autistic behavior. There is a couple who live near me, who are friends of mine and who are both trained teachers who have a boy with Asberger's. It is a very complicated and stressful process to get your child diagnosed correctly, get the State to comply with it's obligation to supply extra teaching help, and to not have your special needs child swept along or out of the system. Meanwhile, you need to protect that child's self image, because these are neural disorders that can improve and you can grow out of to some extent as their brain matures. The behavior this child exhibits is probably more a lack of self control, in that he probably blurts out whats on his mind at the time, or will decide to spontaneously run around the class. There is a decision to be made as to how much time the child can be mainstreamed, and how much special education time is needed.

But, the bottom line is that is should not be a decision made by 5 year olds voting.

Quote:TCPalm: Anthony Westbury -- Teacher flap is a surprise

There is at least one other Port St. Lucie resident who is on the "wait and see" list.

Here is a pretty thorough review of the legal implications on an Autism awareness site: Wendy Portillo's Psychological Mob Lynching of a 5 Year Old And, I would say that even smart people make stupid mistakes, and this appears to be one of those times. Ms. Portillo seems to have erred in her judgment by allowing her class to become a democracy, whereas it is incumbent upon every teacher to LEAD the class and JUDGE what actions are appropriate and inappropriate, even when that is her own behavior. Unless we have been mislead by the facts, I'm still siding with the boy and his mother until exculpatory evidence is released exonerating the teacher here. What has been publicly admitted is unacceptable in any school, in any grade level. It is unfortunate that this otherwise outstanding teacher has made what seems to be a monumental error, which will likely end her career in Port St. Lucie at least.
Democracy is the rule of the mob. That is the lesson this woman has taught to her class.

Well done, Miss Moron 2008.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
We are talking about kindergarten here. For some kids this is the first time they spend more than a few hours a day away from their mommies. They take naps and finger paint. It is not a freshman college course. Kindergarten kids should not be singled out for peer review or subjected to sociological experiments. Whether there was any intention to actually kick the kid out of the class is a minor issue compared to the actual process. Removing the kid from the class may be the one aspect of the thing that would be somewhat appropriate. Having 5 year old kids vote on it is not appropriate on any level. Parent-teacher conference would seem a bit more logical. I'm sure the media is running full steam with this, but it's hard to imagine a set of circumstances that would lead me to believe this teacher is fit to continue teaching young children.
Quote:Well, probably not this scenario. If the child does have Asberger's, or some type of Autism then the school district is obligated to try to work something out. This teacher seems used to teaching at a higher grade level from what I can tell, and so may not be familiar with 5 year old behavior and probably not used to autistic behavior. There is a couple who live near me, who are friends of mine and who are both trained teachers who have a boy with Asberger's. It is a very complicated and stressful process to get your child diagnosed correctly, get the State to comply with it's obligation to supply extra teaching help, and to not have your special needs child swept along or out of the system. Meanwhile, you need to protect that child's self image, because these are neural disorders that can improve and you can grow out of to some extent as their brain matures. The behavior this child exhibits is probably more a lack of self control, in that he probably blurts out whats on his mind at the time, or will decide to spontaneously run around the class. There is a decision to be made as to how much time the child can be mainstreamed, and how much special education time is needed.

But, the bottom line is that is should not be a decision made by 5 year olds voting.

Not only did this child have Asberger's but his mother and the school officials were in the process of creating a personalized learning plan for the child. This is a very involved process for the parents the school officials and especially the teacher. For the teacher to pull a BS stunt like this after she knew and was already to some degree involved in addressing the childs issues is much bigger than making a mistake, it is thoroughly irresponsible and this person should never teach anyone, especially young children.
Quote:Having 5 year old kids vote on it is not appropriate on any level. [...] but it's hard to imagine a set of circumstances that would lead me to believe this teacher is fit to continue teaching young children.

Of this I agree. Seems like perhaps she was used to teaching higher grade children. Whatever the case, I'm sure she had learned a valuable lesson at her own expense.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote: For the teacher to pull a BS stunt like this after she knew and was already to some degree involved in addressing the childs issues is much bigger than making a mistake, it is thoroughly irresponsible and this person should never teach anyone, especially young children.
Sorry, this kind of histrionics ought to be condemned.

Never?

Sorry, she ought to be disciplined, but to say she should NEVER ever teach again is complete horsecrap. What she needs is a bit of guidance or retraining. Whether or not she should be the teacher of that class is a tough question, one her school and the parents ought to consider before making a decision.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete