Was Stonehenge built by just 1 man?
I found this to be pretty cool. The good old KISS method of construction.

http://j-walkblog.com/index.php?/weblog/po...oving_big_rocks

A clever man who likes to move big things. And while humanity may be more educated these days I don't think we are any more clever than we ever have been. Someone back then would have figured it out. If one man today can figure out how to move a barn, by himself, with just some wood, rocks and rope, so could someone thousands of years ago. I like the theories.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Hi,

Quote:I found this to be pretty cool. The good old KISS method of construction.
Neat. But if Stonehenge was built by one man, he musta been Methuselah's long lived grand-pappy, since it was built over a period of 3000 years or more;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Hi,
Neat. But if Stonehenge was built by one man, he musta been Methuselah's long lived grand-pappy, since it was built over a period of 3000 years or more;)

--Pete

Aye and I was aware of that when making the post but well the brain cells in the marketing department made a persuasive argument about the thread title. :) The point of the post, which you got, was simply a cool demonstration of techniques that I had not seen discussed before with construction of Stonehenge so I thought I would share. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Hi,

Quote:The point of the post, which you got, was simply a cool demonstration of techniques that I had not seen discussed before with construction of Stonehenge so I thought I would share. :)
And thank you for that. I'd seen the two rock technique for moving stuff before, but using the teeter-totter method for raising an object was new to me. I'd like to see how he gets a lintel across the two uprights. He's done it at least once, since the end result is shown in the video, but how he did it is not. However he did it, it is probably pretty ingenious.

--Pete

Quote:I found this to be pretty cool. The good old KISS method of construction.

http://j-walkblog.com/index.php?/weblog/po...oving_big_rocks
A clever man who likes to move big things. And while humanity may be more educated these days I don't think we are any more clever than we ever have been. Someone back then would have figured it out. If one man today can figure out how to move a barn, by himself, with just some wood, rocks and rope, so could someone thousands of years ago. I like the theories.

I wonder how closely this technique is to what Edward Leedskalnin used in creating Rock Gate (aka Coral Castle).
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=co...tle&gwp=13
Quote:he Coral Castle site states that "if anyone ever questioned Ed about how he moved the blocks of coral, Ed would only reply that he understood the laws of weight and leverage well."
Which is almost the same as what being claimed by the builder in the video you linked.
Hi,

I visited the Coral Castle it was Incredible & Humbling like this Stonehenge built by just 1 man:D

Quote:And Now for the Rest of the Story :w00t:

If you had visited Coral Castle 60 years ago, you would have been greeted enthusiastically by a man weighing a mere 100 pounds and standing just over 5 feet tall. He would have asked you for ten cents admission and introduced you to his fantasy world carved out of stone.

As you moved around his rock garden and the significance of each piece was explained, you could not help but notice the great pride Ed Leedskalnin took in his work.

Since it is documented that no one ever witnessed Ed's labor in building his rock gate park, some say he had supernatural powers. Ed would only say that he knew the secrets used to build the ancient pyramids and if he could learn them, you could too!

Today, you can leisurely tour Coral Castle via our new 30 minute state of the art audio tour. Hear this fascinating story in English, Spanish, French or German, and see for yourself what millions saw on national TV's "That's Incredible", "In Search Of...", and "You Asked For It!" Even rock star Billy Idol wrote his hit song, "Sweet Sixteen" about Ed's lost love.

Now we wonder what exactly was the source of inspiration that drove this man for 28 years to carve a Coral Castle from the ground up using nothing but home made tools from junk parts. Unrequited love? Ancient sciences that defy gravity, or just sheer, raw human determination? The Coral Castle is an everlasting mystery to those who explore it.

Web Site & Photo Gallery :wub:
Quote:I wonder how closely this technique is to what Edward Leedskalnin used in creating Rock Gate (aka Coral Castle).
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=co...tle&gwp=13

Which is almost the same as what being claimed by the builder in the video you linked.

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Hi,

Mystery At Coral Castle Video: Mystery At Coral Castle

Coral Castle Video: Secrets of Coral Castle Pt.1

I visited the Coral Castle it was Incredible & Humbling like this Stonehenge built by just 1 man:D

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Quote:I'd like to see how he gets a lintel across the two uprights. He's done it at least once, since the end result is shown in the video, but how he did it is not. However he did it, it is probably pretty ingenious.

Unless I'm off my rocker, it should be possible to do it with three of those teeter-totter setups in a row. The lintel in the center goes up first, higher than the two supporting pieces sit, but it isn't put on end; it just sits there for awhile. Then he puts in the other two pieces as he did in the video, then lowers the center piece back down. Could get some weird, and potentially dangerous stability of the center in this setup, though.

--me
Hi,

Quote:Unless I'm off my rocker, it should be possible to do it with three of those teeter-totter setups in a row. The lintel in the center goes up first, higher than the two supporting pieces sit, but it isn't put on end; it just sits there for awhile. Then he puts in the other two pieces as he did in the video, then lowers the center piece back down. Could get some weird, and potentially dangerous stability of the center in this setup, though.

--me
I like that solution, it is elegant. Personally, I'd be petrified (har-har-har) to work around a rock that big up that high. But, yeah, that should work -- wonder if that really is how he did it.

--Pete

No idea, but as an engineering student, I felt strangely obligated to postulate a solution.

--me
I like that solution, it is elegant. Personally, I'd be petrified (har-har-har) to work around a rock that big up that high. But, yeah, that should work -- wonder if that really is how he did it.

--Pete
When I was a freshman in HS, I weighed about 115 pounds. I was always looking for jobs around the farm to earn money, so my dad would think up the hardest stuff he could to keep me busy and out of trouble. The one I'm thinking about was a 40 acre pasture that was fenced, but was off by about 50 feet on one corner according to our surveying. So we have to rip up 2 whole fence lines of cedar posts set 15 feet apart for 2 sides of that 40 acre pasture. He thought it would take me all summer.

It took me far less. I spent the first day making a light weight 2x6 tripod I could lug around with a 20 to 1 lever with a logging chain I could wrap about the bottom of the post. I'd dangle bouncing on the end of the lever and wiggle the post until it went up about 6 inches to a foot at a time, then slip the chain down and repeat. It took me about 2 or 3 weeks to remove all the posts, and then dig them back down where they were supposed to be. Pretty easy summer job! :D
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]