Good News on the Adventure Front
I'm still officially on hiatus from here (8.5 days til class over!), but couldn't resist posting this after I read the news today oh boy!

Quote:LONDON, England (AP) -- Ian McKellen will again take up the robes of Gandalf the Wizard in the cinematic adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy classic "The Hobbit," a British film magazine reported Wednesday.
Unfortunately, it goes on to say that nothing's signed yet.

Gandalf is probably the most human of my favorite likeable fictional characters and McKellen does well at portraying Mr. G's spirit.

-V
Re-reading the article I found a mistake:

Quote:Empire magazine's Web site quoted McKellen as saying that director Guillermo del Toro told him he would again be playing the white-haired wizard.
In "The Hobbit", he's "Gandalf the Grey". He doesn't get to be "the White" until that incident at the abyss. So, he should have grey hair.

(But not "gray" because that's American.)

-V
Quote:Re-reading the article I found a mistake:
In "The Hobbit", he's "Gandalf the Grey". He doesn't get to be "the White" until that incident at the abyss. So, he should have grey hair.

(But not "gray" because that's American.)

-V
"the Grey" relates to Gandalf's robe, not the colour of his beard. Before Moria he wore a grey robe (and hat I think), and after he was rescued/resurrected he took over Saruman's place as leader of the Istari who arrived at the beginning of the Third Age.

Mithrandir is his name given by the Eldar. It simply means "the Grey Pilgrim" in Common.

Okay, nerd mode off..
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
Aren't they still sorting out the rights for the film?
Great news, Van, glad to hear it is moving forward.

I wonder if Andy Sarkis will play Gollum again. That would be sweet.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Great news, Van, glad to hear it is moving forward.

I wonder if Andy Sarkis will play Gollum again. That would be sweet.

From all the news I've read, he and Del Toro have all but agreed that he'd come back and play Gollum again.
Quote:From all the news I've read, he and Del Toro have all but agreed that he'd come back and play Gollum again.

For all the latest information on that stuf, go to www.theonering.net. This movie (or set of movies I should say, since it is two movies that are being made) look like they might be actually worth watching. Time will tell.

I'm just curious as to if they will use the original version of the Hobbit, or one of the revised versions. In any case, Peter, Fran, and Philipa will all be dirrectly involved so the movies can't come out too bad, even if Peter isin't dirrecting.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin