And Another Thing...
Last week I was browsing through a "Going out of Business" sale at a bookstore, and noticed a book billing itself as the sixth part of the Hitchhiker's trilogy. So I bought it (hard cover! half price!)

Aside: for those of you who don't know, Douglas Adams is no longer with us. The sixth book has been written by one "Eoin Colfer" (NO idea how to pronounce that...)

It's not too bad. The style/pacing/whathaveyou is a bit different, but (most) of the humor is intact. For those of you familiar with how the fifth book ended, Eoin does come up with a, more or less, plausible way to "fix" it. I laughed out loud during the part with Cthulhu (sp?). I'm even thinking about asking Hastur to help punch up my resume.

On a scale of Froodiness, I'd give it about a 42.
Quote:Last week I was browsing through a "Going out of Business" sale at a bookstore, and noticed a book billing itself as the sixth part of the Hitchhiker's trilogy. So I bought it (hard cover! half price!)

Aside: for those of you who don't know, Douglas Adams is no longer with us. The sixth book has been written by one "Eoin Colfer" (NO idea how to pronounce that...)

It's not too bad. The style/pacing/whathaveyou is a bit different, but (most) of the humor is intact. For those of you familiar with how the fifth book ended, Eoin does come up with a, more or less, plausible way to "fix" it. I laughed out loud during the part with Cthulhu (sp?). I'm even thinking about asking Hastur to help punch up my resume.

On a scale of Froodiness, I'd give it about a 42.

Frankly I found Mostly Harmless to be far enough from the original HHG that I'm not sure I could take anything that was one more step removed. I'm happy enough hanging on to my towel and leaving Random to her own devices.

On a tangent, I had the same feeling by the time I got to the end of King's Dark Tower series. Somewhere in Song of Susannah it feels like he gave up and just kept typing to fulfill a contract for pages printed. The whole Dark Tower (book seven) felt so unsatisfying.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Quote:Aside: for those of you who don't know, Douglas Adams is no longer with us. The sixth book has been written by one "Eoin Colfer" (NO idea how to pronounce that...)

Eoin is pronounced like Ian.