Tanking Quiz!
Think you know tanking? Answer these questions! I stole them from a guild app thread, thought some people might get a kick out of answering them.

Note: if you are unfamiliar with an encounter (such as Teron Gorefiend from question 4), feel free to look it up in WoWWiki or somesuch to research the boss' abilities and then give an answer.

1) There are 3 stats that improve a warrior tank's threat generation. Which are those stats. (bonus if in order from better to worse).
2) What Cloak enchant is better for a warrior tank? 12 defense, 12 agi or 12 dodge? (bonus if in order)
3) What is the worst tanking stat an item could have while aiming for uncrushability, and why?
4) You are tanking Teron Gorefiend, you pop bloodrage and run in. What is the first ability you need to use when you run in?
5) On an untauntable mob, you have the job of building second aggro. What ability you do not want to be using under normal circumstances when building second aggro as a warrior, and why?
6) Normally on many heroic bosses, when running with one of our mages, the Warrior tank would ask him to pull the boss with a Pyroblast with all he's got. Why would I do this? (tip: no, its not to get him killed lol)
7) In Sunwell Plateau, the first boss fight has a demon that performs an ability called Corrupting Strike. This ability deals a vast amount of damage and also knocks the tank down. What makes this ability so dangerous, and why?
8) Illidan Stormrage performs an ability called Shear, which greatly reduces your health, turning any hit in a posible one shot on the tank. As a warrior you avoid this ability by timing your shield block. But since you need to time your shield block, you cant use it freely, so: How do you avoid Illidan crushing you?
9) Warriors are normally the best tanks against elemental type of mobs (like Ragnaros or Hydross). Why is this?

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:Think you know tanking? Answer these questions! I stole them from a guild app thread, thought some people might get a kick out of answering them.

Note: if you are unfamiliar with an encounter (such as Teron Gorefiend from question 4), feel free to look it up in WoWWiki or somesuch to research the boss' abilities and then give an answer.

1) There are 3 stats that improve a warrior tank's threat generation. Which are those stats. (bonus if in order from better to worse).
2) What Cloak enchant is better for a warrior tank? 12 defense, 12 agi or 12 dodge? (bonus if in order)
3) What is the worst tanking stat an item could have while aiming for uncrushability, and why?
4) You are tanking Teron Gorefiend, you pop bloodrage and run in. What is the first ability you need to use when you run in?
5) On an untauntable mob, you have the job of building second aggro. What ability you do not want to be using under normal circumstances when building second aggro as a warrior, and why?
6) Normally on many heroic bosses, when running with one of our mages, the Warrior tank would ask him to pull the boss with a Pyroblast with all he's got. Why would I do this? (tip: no, its not to get him killed lol)
7) In Sunwell Plateau, the first boss fight has a demon that performs an ability called Corrupting Strike. This ability deals a vast amount of damage and also knocks the tank down. What makes this ability so dangerous, and why?
8) Illidan Stormrage performs an ability called Shear, which greatly reduces your health, turning any hit in a posible one shot on the tank. As a warrior you avoid this ability by timing your shield block. But since you need to time your shield block, you cant use it freely, so: How do you avoid Illidan crushing you?
9) Warriors are normally the best tanks against elemental type of mobs (like Ragnaros or Hydross). Why is this?

-Bolty

I'm not going to answer, but there are two significant ambiguities

1) There's way more than 3. There may only be 3 on most tank gear, but there's way more than 3.
2) For what purpose? Threat is a different answer from avoidance / uncrushability. Also there is max effective health to consider, which is also different from avoidance / uncrushability. There is not enough information to appropriately answer the question.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:1) There are 3 stats that improve a warrior tank's threat generation. Which are those stats. (bonus if in order from better to worse).

Trick question. There are only two: +dmg, block rating until it is being pushed off the table.

Quote:2) What Cloak enchant is better for a warrior tank? 12 defense, 12 agi or 12 dodge? (bonus if in order)

Defense if not uncrushable, dodge for pure avoidance. Agility not worth considering.

Quote:3) What is the worst tanking stat an item could have while aiming for uncrushability, and why?

Block value? Weird question. I'll answer the reverse and say that Block Rating is supreme for hitting 102.4 because you get the most value per point compared to dodge or parry.

Quote:4) You are tanking Teron Gorefiend, you pop bloodrage and run in. What is the first ability you need to use when you run in?

Damn, I didn't train bloodrage. I'd have to go with Avenger Shield + holy shield as I run in. Exorcism as I move if he is a demon or undead.

Quote:5) On an untauntable mob, you have the job of building second aggro. What ability you do not want to be using under normal circumstances when building second aggro as a warrior, and why?

Lots and lots of mana pots...*edit* is what I would answer if the question asked what I WOULD use. I read it wrong. Plus my answer, if not for the word "not" is both funnier and true. My real answer would be holy shield, because even though its hard to remember not to hit it by reflex, its useless if not being hit.

Quote:6) Normally on many heroic bosses, when running with one of our mages, the Warrior tank would ask him to pull the boss with a Pyroblast with all he's got. Why would I do this? (tip: no, its not to get him killed lol)

So my Taunt can miss 6% of the time considering I have zero +hit gear, of course, killing the mage while being able to claim "bad luck, mate". That ones easy!

Quote:7) In Sunwell Plateau, the first boss fight has a demon that performs an ability called Corrupting Strike. This ability deals a vast amount of damage and also knocks the tank down. What makes this ability so dangerous, and why?

If the ability actually makes you effectively be "sitting", you take double damage from any strikes. I've read it is a stun, however, which will quite happily remove your ability to dodge, parry, or block.

Quote:8) Illidan Stormrage performs an ability called Shear, which greatly reduces your health, turning any hit in a posible one shot on the tank. As a warrior you avoid this ability by timing your shield block. But since you need to time your shield block, you cant use it freely, so: How do you avoid Illidan crushing you?

I have improved holy shield, I think I'll have charges left to help block Shear. Sheesh, what do you think I am? A warrior?

Quote:9) Warriors are normally the best tanks against elemental type of mobs (like Ragnaros or Hydross). Why is this?

Because a geared paladin can tank Hydross and all four adds at once, of course, maxing both resists.

Ok, so I didn't quite answer in the spirit of the questions...sue me and my pink armor.
Jormuttar is Soo Fat...
Here's my first run answer, before looking at anyone else's answers.

This confuses me. There should be many. Any stat that raises AP, either pure AP or strength, should raise your threat generation by raising your damage. Crit should do the same. Hit should do the same, up to the hit cap. Expertise as well. Shield block value as well. As would +weapon damage. And, of course, the ultra-rare +threat. And haste. And armour penetration. Heck, even mitigation stats can raise your threat by enabling more consistent revenges.

12 defense is the overall best for uncritability, and for eliminating spike damage. 12 agility is strong in that it also yields a bit of crit, and thus threat. 12 dodge is the best for pure avoidance, and is what I use. Which is best depends on the boss and the rest of your gear.

If expertise is not considered a tanking stat (Tip 'o the hat to Morde for pointing out shield block value; armour is much the same) then the answer is parry. It yields the least % mitigation per item point. But, of course, this is only point-for-point.

Dunno about Teron Gorefiend, but I'm going to presume the right answer is "shield block". If you get spiked hard right off the bat, healers have to spike heal you or you die, which means they pull aggro.

Obviously, there are lots of abilities you don't want to be using, but the one they're probably referring to is heroic strike. Rage efficiency is the most important aspect of an ability when trying to stay 2nd on aggro, so HS is much worse than if you were the MT.

Your taunt will equalize threat with the current aggro target, so if that's a mage with a huge pyro under his belt, then you're up by several thousand threat vs. just pulling him directly.

Very likely the fact that your mitigation is useless when knocked down, and since you just took a huge spike, that puts you in double danger: you're low, and you're extra likely to get whacked for more.

Passive uncrushability. With T6 tanking gear, you can get to the point where you don't need to ever hit shield block to avoid crushes, and if you've got maximally amazing gear, you don't even need to do it on Shear, but since it can't miss, that number is very large indeed.

Defensive stance reduces all incoming damage by 10%, a bonus not matched by paladins or druids.

-Jester
Kay I'll take a stab.

1) Expertise, Hit rating, Agi, Block value. Yes, I put four:P

2) Dodge > Defense > Agi for avoidance, Armor > Agi > Defense = Dodge for EH I believe. But what is "better"? EH or avoidance? When you calculate effective health you're assuming no dodge/parries, worst case scenario... so they're completely at odds I think? Also Agi helps your threat. *shrug*

3) Uhh, anything that isn't block rating? And anything that isn't dodge/parry/block/defense if going for passive uncrushable? *confuzzled by the question*

4) Going to guess spell reflect, but honestly don't know.

5) Besides the two obvious ones (taunt, shield block), only thing I could think of is HS because you're rage starved and it's terribad threat per rage. Perhaps shield slam if you're close to the first tank, to avoid a crit and a huge aggro spike.

6) Headstart on threat from taunt. Taunt resist 4TL, am I right?

7) You lose dodge/parry/block when you're knocked down - like Zul'jin and his paralysis thingy.

8) Put on an avoidance set of gear to try and push crushes off the table. I can't think of anything you can do actively, and would be interested if there was something, but if there was warriors would be doing it all the time I'm sure:P

9) Defensive stance, -10% damage even if the damage isn't physical.

Edit: Nice Jester, I'm pretty sure that's what they were going for with #3, tip o' the hat to you!
On a related note (tanking), one thing I had missed learning ever since I switched from warlocking to pally-tanking was the scoop on the resist chanc for Righteous Defense.

I knew that they had changed it so +hit (as opposed to just spell hit like the old days) helped reduce the chance of a taunt being resisted, for warriors, paladins and druids.

However, what I didn't realize until recently was that in all other respects taunts are still treated like a spell. That means the chance it is resisted is 17% against level 73/boss mobs, 16% +hit is required to hit cap you, and you can never mitigate the last 1% resist chance.

Somehow, in transitioning from ranged DPS to tank, I had always assumed that the change to physical +hit also meant it had a 9% miss chance like 2h weapon attacks, sword and board attacks, etc. Now that I know, it makes sense I suppose. If they truly made it act like a physical hit we might end up with fight mechanics that allow taunt to be dodged, parried, blocked or miss, which wouldn't be too fun either =)

I'm sure most know this already, but I didn't, so maybe someone will find it interesting.
Jormuttar is Soo Fat...
Quote:1) There are 3 stats that improve a warrior tank's threat generation. Which are those stats. (bonus if in order from better to worse).

Ooh! My turn!

1) Well, 3 categories. AP(str), crits(agil), hits(expertise). The more FAP on your weapon the better.
2) Quite probably defense, maintaining uncritable can be tricky with the puzzle pieces you have to work with. Agility if you've got it covered, and dodge is inferior to agility in every respect.
3) Parry and shield block rating/value are equally useless. Of the stats that help, defense gives the least bang for the buck.
4) Mangle.
5) Maul. Though really, if you're taking any damage at all you can use it more often than not.
6) Trial by fire! Should be able to rip aggro back before he dies. There's always ice block. :)
7) Can't dodge while stunned... but stuns aren't THAT dangerous...
8) Trick question, the crushes are the easy part. Get a warrior to intervene the Shear.
9) Because Druids have no proper resist gear itemization for tanking Hydross, and at the time they didn't for Ragnaros either.

Roar.
ERAU QSSI DLRO WEHT
Quote:On a related note (tanking), one thing I had missed learning ever since I switched from warlocking to pally-tanking was the scoop on the resist chanc for Righteous Defense.

I knew that they had changed it so +hit (as opposed to just spell hit like the old days) helped reduce the chance of a taunt being resisted, for warriors, paladins and druids.

However, what I didn't realize until recently was that in all other respects taunts are still treated like a spell. That means the chance it is resisted is 17% against level 73/boss mobs, 16% +hit is required to hit cap you, and you can never mitigate the last 1% resist chance.

Somehow, in transitioning from ranged DPS to tank, I had always assumed that the change to physical +hit also meant it had a 9% miss chance like 2h weapon attacks, sword and board attacks, etc. Now that I know, it makes sense I suppose. If they truly made it act like a physical hit we might end up with fight mechanics that allow taunt to be dodged, parried, blocked or miss, which wouldn't be too fun either =)

I'm sure most know this already, but I didn't, so maybe someone will find it interesting.

I know it sucks when my cower is dodged.
ERAU QSSI DLRO WEHT
8) Trick question. Illidan doesn't crush.
Sad that this is so oriented toward warriors. It'd be fun to see a paladin or druid equivalent. :)

Three? There's certainly more than three. I would think expertise, hit rating, shield block value, attack power (or strength), crit rating (or agility). There might be even more than that. To try to fit them into three stats, I would have to go with the following:
1. Threat modifiers (defensive stance, threat enchant, defiance)
2. Things that give the warrior more rage
3. Things that make the warrior hit harder (partly contributes to #2)

Quote:2) What Cloak enchant is better for a warrior tank? 12 defense, 12 agi or 12 dodge? (bonus if in order)
Dodge for pure avoidance, defense for passive uncrushability, agility is cheap.

Quote:3) What is the worst tanking stat an item could have while aiming for uncrushability, and why?
Bonus armor? Block value? Block rating contributes the greatest non-crush per point, but is also the least effective as far as damage mitigation (block vs. avoiding an attack completely).

If you're talking between defense, dodge, parry and block ratings, it would go:
Parry < Dodge < Defense < Block

Quote:4) You are tanking Teron Gorefiend, you pop bloodrage and run in. What is the first ability you need to use when you run in?
I'm not familiar with the fight, but I would assume that he probably has some sort of crushing blow mechanic so that shield block is what you'd want to use as you run in. If the fight is aggro-sensitive on the pull, then you'd probably want to unload when you get to the boss, ASAP or use a shout to make sure it's up and to get initial aggro (even if it's almost nothing).

EDIT: Shield Reflect might be it if there's some massive spell damage component to this fight. Since I don't know the fight, not sure if this is it or not. :)

Quote:5) On an untauntable mob, you have the job of building second aggro. What ability you do not want to be using under normal circumstances when building second aggro as a warrior, and why?
Shield block? Unless the boss has some sort of "hit secondary aggro" move that could crush, then you'd probably want it up.

Quote:6) Normally on many heroic bosses, when running with one of our mages, the Warrior tank would ask him to pull the boss with a Pyroblast with all he's got. Why would I do this? (tip: no, its not to get him killed lol)
To taunt and give the rest of the party more threat margin at the start. I generally try to avoid this, however, since taunts can miss.

Quote:7) In Sunwell Plateau, the first boss fight has a demon that performs an ability called Corrupting Strike. This ability deals a vast amount of damage and also knocks the tank down. What makes this ability so dangerous, and why?
When you're knocked down, you can't avoid anything, so you're going to be relying on your armor and health total to keep you up rather than being able to potentially mitigate it via avoidance.

Quote:8) Illidan Stormrage performs an ability called Shear, which greatly reduces your health, turning any hit in a posible one shot on the tank. As a warrior you avoid this ability by timing your shield block. But since you need to time your shield block, you cant use it freely, so: How do you avoid Illidan crushing you?
Either get passive uncrushability or time it for when Shear is about to land. The former would be more powerful (consistent), but more difficult to achieve.

Quote:9) Warriors are normally the best tanks against elemental type of mobs (like Ragnaros or Hydross). Why is this?
There are a couple of reasons:
1. Epic plate gear is usually available with lots of stamina and resistance.
2. (Improved) Defensive stance mitigates elemental damage more effectively than comparable druid (spell miss) or paladin (some lesser mitigation and some avoidance) talents.
3. It is very easy to be uncrushable/uncritable with a warrior via shield block while a paladin would have to work much harder to be uncrushable and a druid to be uncrittable.

Lots of kind of misleading questions in there. But kind of fun to think through. :)
-TheDragoon
Quote:Think you know tanking? Answer these questions! I stole them from a guild app thread, thought some people might get a kick out of answering them.

-Bolty

1) This is going to depend on class, for warrior: Block Value (reduce damage by x), Str, Agi, for paladin: Spell damage, Block Value, spell hit, for druid: Agi, AP, Str

2) For all three tanks, Dodge. In order for Warriors: Dodge, Defense, Agi.

3) For Warriors and Paladins: Block Rating, for Druids: Defense. For warrior and paladin it means while uncrushable, you're still taking a lot of damage. For druids, defense is only going to help on miss and dodge as you cannot parry and block.

4) Shield Block/Holy Shield (warrior/paladin)

5) Shield Slam, while high threat, it's also the highest rage cost and when you are not being hit, you will not be generating rage quickly.

6) Only thing I can think of it to taunt, but IIRC, the heroic bosses are not tauntable, so not sure.

7) Because you can't block, dodge, or parry making you easily hit and crit.

8) He doesn't crush... :whistling:

9) Defensive Stance due to the 10% less damage that neither Druids nor Paladins have an equivalent of.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
There are far more than 3. Block rating is the best however. I'll say hit rating is #2, but after that? Expertise, crit chance, attack power, parry rating, armor penetration... hell even spell damage gives something to thunderclap.

This is so situational and personal preference. I'd go with 12 defense personally, followed by agility and last dodge. Dodge gives the most evasion but unless that puts you at some magic number the other 2 are better for stunned "evasion" or threat gen imo.

Strength, because the block value it adds is so minimal. (EDIT: misread the question) The answer is still the same though. Strength doesn't add anything, neither does block value both of which are "tanking stats".

This is one I had to look at bosskillers for. According to them he hits hard but it didn't look that bad to me the one time I did it (though I didn't tank it). personally, I pop berserker rage, then defensive stance, THEN blood rage, but if the guy hits really hard it would be shield block for the uncrushability. Still, is this "needed"?

Heroic strike, because you won't generate rage eating your auto attack with it.

Sounds like an epeen "look what I can do" taunt. It's risky and not worth it if the taunt resists.

Stunned = no evasion = crushable. At low health this is very bad.

I've not done this fight yet but I've heard Illidan can't crush. Reading the strat on bosskillers hints he can. If that is the case there would be no way to avoid it other than stack avoidance to an ubsurd level.

Spell damage ignores armor so it needs to be reduced and resisted. Improved defensive stance gives 16% spell damage reduction while pallys only have 10% when talented. Druids get no reduction to spell damage, talented or otherwise.

-Bolty

1) There are a lot of stats that increase threat generation, but I think the quiz doesn't mean to include armor pen, strength, agility, attack power, or any stat that doesn't regularly appear on tank gear (the oddly itemized T6 set notwithstanding). I think they answer they want is 1) Block Value 2) Hit 3) Expertise.

2) Weird question. Defense if short of the cap or going for passive uncrushability. Agility if you expect to be offtanking more than maintanking. Dodge if you expect to be maintanking more than offtanking.

3) Assuming that this question is intended to begin "Of the stats that contribute to uncrushability, for warriors..." the answer is Block Rating, because Shield Block already makes you uncrushable with decent amounts of parry/dodge/miss. Assuming that the question actually means passive uncrushability, it's Agility, since it has the worst ratio of itembudget-to-avoidance. Excluding Agility since it's not really a tanking stat, the answer is Parry, because it has the worst ratio of the strictly tanking stats.

4) Shield Block. On the standard strategy, the entire raid is moving behind the tank, who cannot expect to get anything other than a few on-the-move heals as people are taking up positions. It's important not to take crushes during this time.

5) Of the abilities that specifically generate extra threat, Heroic Strike, because it slows rage generation from offensive swings (which are all you have as second on threat).

6) For a taunt to build a larger threat buffer for the rest. But you'd better have a nice chunk of hit or you're going to splat your mage.

7) The knockdown disables all forms of avoidance, which means that you are unlikely to avoid any of the followup attacks to Corrupting Strike (which is a good 10k damage with a 1k/sec DoT and hardly unthreatening on its own).

8) Illidan doesn't crush.

9) Defensive stance/improved defensive stance with regards to druids. With regards to paladins, you cannot Block the attacks of elemental-attacking mobs, meaning that Holy Shield and its protective and threat-generating effects are effectively disabled.

Expertise, hit, shield block value.

12 dodge > 12 defense > 12 agi -- but 120 armor > all of those.

Parry. It is the most expensive per point of avoidance.

N/A.

Heroic Strike. As off-tank, you will not get as many hits, and thus most of your rage is through your white hits. Heroic Strike replaces a white hit with a yellow and thus denies you rage, in addition to its normal rage cost.

The warrior can taunt off the mage who can stop building aggro for a moment (or use Invisibility to reset threat completely), which grants the warrior a huge threat-lead over the rest of the group.

When you are knocked down, your avoidance does nothing.

Illidan doesn't crush.

Defensive Stance and Improved Defensive Stance. There's no other way to reduce elemental damage aside from Resist gear.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk