Barrier to entry?
I have an old WoW account that I used back in classic, but have never updated with any expansion. Periodically I debate how hard it would be to reactivate it. Would I need to buy each expansion to be able to level through it's territory or does one just need to buy the current expansion (or Cataclysm when it comes out) and thus get grandfathered into the other content? Anybody know how this works?
Quote:I have an old WoW account that I used back in classic, but have never updated with any expansion. Periodically I debate how hard it would be to reactivate it. Would I need to buy each expansion to be able to level through it's territory or does one just need to buy the current expansion (or Cataclysm when it comes out) and thus get grandfathered into the other content? Anybody know how this works?

You would indeed need to purchase both TBC and WotLK in order to upgrade the account. There would be nothing stopping you from getting TBC now, and then when you need WOTLK getting it later.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Quote:You would indeed need to purchase both TBC and WotLK in order to upgrade the account. There would be nothing stopping you from getting TBC now, and then when you need WOTLK getting it later.

The problem is a price one. I don't pay for how I play now. Was thinking I could MAYBE get somebody to buy Cataclysm when it came out since the new authenticator stuff has me thinking I'll need it. But...since that account is so old it makes it harder to work things out. Harder to manage buying everything instead of just one thing.
Quote:The problem is a price one. I don't pay for how I play now. Was thinking I could MAYBE get somebody to buy Cataclysm when it came out since the new authenticator stuff has me thinking I'll need it. But...since that account is so old it makes it harder to work things out. Harder to manage buying everything instead of just one thing.
TBC is $30, which is about the same as two months of play. What does the account being old have to do with it? Am I missing something? And if I recall, the authenticator was about $6, with free shipping.

Hope you get <strike>sucked in again</strike> back on line!
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Quote:I have an old WoW account that I used back in classic, but have never updated with any expansion. Periodically I debate how hard it would be to reactivate it. Would I need to buy each expansion to be able to level through it's territory or does one just need to buy the current expansion (or Cataclysm when it comes out) and thus get grandfathered into the other content? Anybody know how this works?

They currently have a wow + TBC "battle chest" for people new to be able to get into the game a little cheaper. I'm sure they'll introduce a new one that is +Wrath. Even if it stays $40, that's a lot extra on top of Cataclysm IMO. An $80-90 entry cost is an awful lot on a game that has such a large profit margin for subscribers.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Best Buy was offering $5 each for Wow classic and TBC this past holiday season (of course keeping WoTLK at the full $50), and later in the month Blizz got in on the action as well. I hope you are able to wait until the next holiday sales this happens again.