Tired of Installing Your OS?
If you frequently format your harddrive and install your operating system like I do, then you should consider the following. I recently ran across a couple programs(<span style="color:#FF0000">FREEWARE!) that allow me to copy the information on my harddrive and save that image to a file, kind of like a cd/dvd .iso file. I can install my OS(Windows), update my drivers, and install my basic programs. Then I use Self Image to take an image of my harddrive and store it for later on my backup hdd. If my system starts getting spyware, adware, or is loading slow I can fix it without going through the hassle of installing windows. I simply delete the partition that my OS is on, create a new partition, then boot up with Bart PE, run Self Image and write the HDD image to the HDD. Now I have a fresh fully functional OS again, with programs and drivers!

Here's how:

Go to these two websites and read.
Hi,

Yes I do format my HD and install my Win Xp Pro about every 12 to 18 months...I install alot of Game Demos so my Registry is in bad shape. I no longer Partition, I simply wipe the HD and install everything on the C Drive.

I have Only 1 HD so I make a Back-up disk with very few folders e.g. Favorites, Mail and only the latest Drivers.

I admit it is time consuming. Next time I will give SelfImage a try. :wub:

Quote:If you frequently format your harddrive and install your operating system like I do, then you should consider the following. I recently ran across a couple programs(<span style="color:#FF0000">FREEWARE!) that allow me to copy the information on my harddrive and save that image to a file, kind of like a cd/dvd .iso file. I can install my OS(Windows), update my drivers, and install my basic programs. Then I use Self Image to take an image of my harddrive and store it for later on my backup hdd. If my system starts getting spyware, adware, or is loading slow I can fix it without going through the hassle of installing windows. I simply delete the partition that my OS is on, create a new partition, then boot up with Bart PE, run Self Image and write the HDD image to the HDD. Now I have a fresh fully functional OS again, with programs and drivers!

Here's how:

Go to these two websites and read.

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
If you restore frequently, I suggest making backups of other key items, such as service packs, large patches, driver updates, and anything else you find yourself downloading every time you roll back to a saved state.

Also, turn off any of the time-based notifiers, like Desktop Cleanup Wizard. When you roll back to an old restore point, the system can't differentiate that from having been left unused the entire intervening time, so things like Desktop Cleanup Wizard decide their timers have expired and start seeking attention.

Finally, for the Unix-inclined among the readers, the same can be cheaply accomplished with a Linux LiveCD, ntfsprogs, and sfdisk, all of which are Free.
Quote:I have Only 1 HD so I make a Back-up disk with very few folders e.g. Favorites, Mail and only the latest Drivers.

Remember you do need to store that image somewhere, so maybe you can make it a back-up dvd.

I tried storing the image file on my dvd startup disk and writing that file to the harddrive, but it didn't work. Self Image for Bart PE is still in an experimental stage. I hope one day I can save the image on my dvd. With my basic games and OS installed the compressed image file would be around 7 gb which would easily fit on a dvd with bart pe and more. Maybe the image compression and the .iso do not mix? Maybe I should write the image to the dvd outside of the .iso portion if that's possible.

(EDIT) PS: You can probably store the image on a dvd and place it in a second cd drive.
Ah, what fortuitous timing GhastMaster. I'm in the market for a new computer, and have been toying with the idea of drive imaging since reading an article on lifehacker a few months back. Happy to see some concrete programs to play with. Thanks!

Cheers,

Munk
Quote:Ah, what fortuitous timing GhastMaster. I'm in the market for a new computer, and have been toying with the idea of drive imaging since reading an article on lifehacker a few months back. Happy to see some concrete programs to play with. Thanks!

Cheers,

Munk

This may not play out as well as you expect. Windows typically installs only the drivers needed for the hardware you're installing it on. Moving Windows from one configuration to another is often rather troublesome, and the more different they are, the more you'll have to fight it. This limitation applies regardless of how you move the image, since it's a fundamental problem with the Windows boot process.

You can often mitigate the effects by installing the new hard drive as a slave in the old system, booting Windows, letting it install the drivers, then shutting down and collecting your system image.
Quote:Kp' date='Apr 13 2008, 07:33 PM' post='146336']
This may not play out as well as you expect. Windows typically installs only the drivers needed for the hardware you're installing it on. Moving Windows from one configuration to another is often rather troublesome, and the more different they are, the more you'll have to fight it. This limitation applies regardless of how you move the image, since it's a fundamental problem with the Windows boot process.

You can often mitigate the effects by installing the new hard drive as a slave in the old system, booting Windows, letting it install the drivers, then shutting down and collecting your system image.

You've misread my post [vL]Kp, I'm not trying to transfer my current computer's data into a new laptop. I'm looking to make a drive image of the new laptop once I get it configured the way I want it. There'd be no transferring of data from one computer to the next via drive imaging.

Cheers,

Munk
Heyo, I'm glad i helped munkay.

Quote:have been toying with the idea of drive imaging since reading an article

Make sure you also toy around with the programs a wee bit before you depend on them.
Pardon the thread necromancy, but its time for an update!

I've finally ordered my new laptop (a Lenovo Ideapad y510), and is due to arrive from the good folks at New Egg tomorrow. Upon receiving it my plan is to strip out the erroneous programs, install the important programs, update the drivers and then take a drive image.

I took Ghastmaster's advice, and played around a bit this week with the freeware applications. Here's my review:

As Ghastmaster pointed out, drive imaging involves the creation of an image file, which is roughly akin to an ISO. Since its saved as one file, there's no way of accessing individual files unless you unpack the image first. So if the file goes belly up, you will likely lose everything. Fortunately the freeware programs are generally reliable when the image is stored on the same harddrive, in a different partition.

Unfortunately, the freeware programs have a chance of failing if the file is stored elsewhere - an external harddrive, a DVD, etc. This may or may not be an issue depending on your needs, but if you're like me, you'd like to be able to store images elsewhere in case of a physical HD crash.

The final verdict for the freeware versions is this: If you're looking for a handy way to cut reformatting time, its a great tool provided you backup vital files. If you're looking for a way to protect yourself from data loss, its not yet reliable enough to depend on it (though this may change in the future updates).

If you're concerned with data loss, a good alternative I've found is Acronis True Image 11 Home edition. It's not free, but it only costs $50 and comes with a suite of backup utilities (in addition to drive imaging). They offer a 30 day free trial of their full version, and if you're interested in drive imaging I recommend checking it out.

After trying it, I'm pretty certain I'll put down the money to buy it when the trial runs out. Its really that good!

Cheers,

Munk

Quote:The final verdict for the freeware versions is this: If you're looking for a handy way to cut reformatting time, its a great tool provided you backup vital files. If you're looking for a way to protect yourself from data loss, its not yet reliable enough to depend on it (though this may change in the future updates).

This is absolutely true. I keep all of my vital files on a second(and third) harddrive and use the imaging software only to speed up the re-format time. As you said the freeware SelfImage software does seem to fail for no reason. I would attribute this to it being in an experimental stage still. As for my use of it, when I first tried it I had a Hal.dll error and had to re-install windows and try again. It has worked everytime after that for me. My brother just tried using it for the first time and it wouldn't boot up for him. He's going to try it again when he needs to format. **crosses fingers**

Quote:If you're concerned with data loss, a good alternative I've found is Acronis True Image 11 Home edition. It's not free, but it only costs $50 and comes with a suite of backup utilities (in addition to drive imaging). They offer a 30 day free trial of their full version, and if you're interested in drive imaging I recommend checking it out.

After trying it, I'm pretty certain I'll put down the money to buy it when the trial runs out. Its really that good!

Oh no! Now I'm going to be glued to my computer for a few days.:o
Hello, :w00t:

Is there anyway you can remove the OS from a partition that is part of a recovery system like on a HP computer. :rolleyes:

Most over the counter computers do Not come with a copy of your OS.

I would like to make a CD of the OS & then use it Only to reconfig the computer.

I don't think my brother has a Recovery CD, HP puts it on a partition...IF his HD dies then he would have to order a Recovery/Restore CD...or...can I copy his D drive to use as a Recovery CD ?

Quote:Kp' date='Apr 12 2008, 11:59 AM' post='146304']Finally, for the Unix-inclined among the readers, the same can be cheaply accomplished with a Linux LiveCD, ntfsprogs, and sfdisk, all of which are Free.
Hi Kp!

I've heard very good things about Mondo Rescue, an imaging/recovery solution for Linux and FreeBSD.

When I get my FreeNAS box running, I'm going to try to set up nightly Mondo images. (My home environment is getting about as well protected as my office!)
The error occurred on line -1.
Are you saying HP has the OS on one partition and he creates another to store all of his valuable data?

I'm not familiar with how HP computers recover without a disc :( Without the BartPE disk or a similar disc you can't use SelfImage to restore your OS. Unless you have a functioning operating system installed on the system. One problem that would arise is without the original hardware the original OS would probably not recognize the new harddrive and start up, even if it did put the OS on properly. I'm not sure if there is a way to get around that. If you just want to copy the "recovery partition" it would probably be a small image file and would be easy to store.

You can use SelfImage to copy any partition(D in your case) to any other partion(provided the second is big enough). If your brother has a back-up harddrive you can store it on there. Also, you could take the image of his D drive and store it on a cd/dvd/usb flash drive and keep that in case the harddrive fails.

I hope I answered your question. If I misread your post let me know. It sounds like imaging would help in your case though.
I recently helped my parents purchase an HP computer. It came with Vista and like King Jim's, the OS install files were on a utility partition.

I don't know if there's a way to get them off the utility partition, but when I first booted the PC it prompted me to create recovery discs. I didn't do so at the time, but if I recall correctly the utility placed a shortcut to itself on the Start menu somewhere. You should be able to use that utility to create an OS install disc, or at the very least a disc which restores the PC to factory conditions.

Incidentally, my mom only made it 2 weeks with the new computer and Vista before asking me to "downgrade" her to XP.:) Now THAT was an ordeal.
Quote:I recently helped my parents purchase an HP computer. It came with Vista and like King Jim's, the OS install files were on a utility partition.

I don't know if there's a way to get them off the utility partition, but when I first booted the PC it prompted me to create recovery discs. I didn't do so at the time, but if I recall correctly the utility placed a shortcut to itself on the Start menu somewhere. You should be able to use that utility to create an OS install disc, or at the very least a disc which restores the PC to factory conditions.

Incidentally, my mom only made it 2 weeks with the new computer and Vista before asking me to "downgrade" her to XP.:) Now THAT was an ordeal.
I almost always re-image the computer with the non-OEM version of the OS. And, then I research and apply all the bios and driver updates. After I have the machine working with the base OS installed and minimal footprint I take a full image backup as my base rebuild image. I tend to install too much stuff over time, and so I've started making VMware my friend. All my experiments and trial software installs are now done inside a VM. My work gives me open access to most any OS and other software I want. I then buy licenses for what I use at home.

Back to the OP, and the recommended tools... At some companies where we have implemented Altiris we use BartPE to package automatic OS installs. At some others we use a less expensive tool called Kasaya, which among other features, also incorporates the Acronis Backup engine. I've tried and disabled Acronis on one of my machines, because my backup sets were starting to exceed 80MB, and it was using over 2/3rds of my local hard drive to store backups. I use BackupPC at home to backup my machines to my file server. That way I can maintain DR separately from my machines.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Back to the OP, and the recommended tools... At some companies where we have implemented Altiris we use BartPE to package automatic OS installs. At some others we use a less expensive tool called Kasaya, which among other features, also incorporates the Acronis Backup engine. I've tried and disabled Acronis on one of my machines, because my backup sets were starting to exceed 80MB, and it was using over 2/3rds of my local hard drive to store backups. I use BackupPC at home to backup my machines to my file server. That way I can maintain DR separately from my machines.

I really love Acronis. I used to use it to make a clone of my HD onto a removable HD (the type that plugs in via Firewire and USB 2.0) and it does it so quickly its truly amazing. Every backup/clone program I've ever used takes hours to complete, but Acronis is done in less than 30-minutes on average. However, for whatever reason I simply stopped using it. I think I actually like reinstalling my software, hardware(firmware)/software updates from scratch because every time I do it, I always trim the excess fat in a manner of speaking; I loose the programs I no longer use or that have lost their appeal over time. Acronis is still a great tool, but I have no idea of its costs now.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Hi,

BEWARE...you only get 1 [ONE] attempt to Copy the Restore File to a DVD, IF it stops in the middle of the copy you lose it and have to purchase one from the Mfg. :angry:

Quote:I recently helped my parents purchase an HP computer. It came with Vista and like King Jim's, the OS install files were on a utility partition.

Hi,

Tomorrow sunday, I will do a backup of my files...I like to install from scratch also, except for World of Warcraft. I will have to backup my Web Site for the first time, Favorites, Address book & My Documents. I googled for a list this is what I found :D

Quote:A list of the most important computer system files and folders to Backup.

Hello everyone, If you want to learn something new about computers, you have come to the right place...>tips4pc.com

This site offers totally free computer help. Browse through some of the most valuable computer tips and information on the internet. Click on Sitemap to show all articles.
Quote:I think I actually like reinstalling my software, hardware(firmware)/software updates from scratch because every time I do it, I always trim the excess fat in a manner of speaking; I loose the programs I no longer use or that have lost their appeal over time.

Hi,

Free Hard Disk and Partition Imaging and Backup Software...FREE is Good :w00t:

Quote:Free Hard Disk and Partition Imaging and Backup Software

Note that commercial backup and imaging software, like Acronis TrueImage (free trial download here), Terabyte Unlimited's Image for Windows, (free trial download) and Drive Snapshot are not listed below.

Related Pages:
Free Partitioning Software - Copy, Create, Move, Resize, Convert, Undelete Partitions
Free Device Driver Backup and Extraction Utilities
Free Data Recovery, File and Partition Recovery, Undelete and Unformat Software
Free Defragmentation Utilities / Free Defraggers
Free Utilities to Delete Currently Used, Locked, Undeletable, Busy Files
How to Create a Bootable Windows XP Setup CD/DVD on a Preinstalled Windows System
Free CD and DVD Burners and Copying Software
Free x86 / PC Emulators and Virtual Machines
Free Boot Managers and Multi-Boot Loaders
Free Online Backup, Internet Hard Drive for Offsite Backup