Diablo as Freeware/Hard Drive Patch
Given that Diablo is earning Blizzard virtually no revenue at this point, and StarCraft recently received a patch which allows users to play without the CD (even on Battle.net) by copying a file from the CD to the hard drive, I'd say that the chances for Diablo receiving a similar patch are pretty good.

I'd even simply appreciate a play from hard drive option, my CD lag has been killing me recently. Perhaps they might fix some bugs too? At best, they might fix the duping bug (and others), and at the very least it would probably screw with most trainers and hacks by offsetting the memory locations.

The one reason I see them not doing this is that Diablo has no CD keys, so multiple players could play Diablo from one CD (although they can already, using a crack).

Does anyone think that if a good number of people (50+) sent e-mails to someone who might have the power to make such a change, we could get it done?
Diablo hasn't been patched in years. Given what some of the patches have done, I say it's best to leave it as is. Diablo's code is so vulnerable to attack that it'd take substantial effort to put a dent in the cheating, which I don't see them doing.

Fixing duping is easy. Dr. Zed fixed it for v1.07, and I forward-ported it to v1.09 after I got tired of the bug turning nice items into potions. I might still have the notes for it somewhere if anyone cares.

With regard to the CD bypass: playing from an image on the hard drive or keeping the music running can bypass CD lag. Also, iirc, Diablo's CD validation isn't very thorough.
StarCraft had only been patched in the years before in regard to mapmakers finding ways to alter memory locations that could possibly have bad repercussions. I'll hope? =)
The difference is that people are still actually playing Starcraft (in Korea...) The whole CD thing had to be quite obnoxious to tournament computers.
Quote:The difference is that people are still actually playing Starcraft (in Korea...) The whole CD thing had to be quite obnoxious to tournament computers.

Holy crap, it's a FoxBat. I haven't seen a FoxBat in ... a few years?

-Lem
I would love if this happened - my Diablo CD is approaching the end of its natural life (bought it when the game was brand new!).
Quote:I would love if this happened - my Diablo CD is approaching the end of its natural life (bought it when the game was brand new!).

As I mentioned in my first post, Diablo is quite easy to get running off emulated CD drives. After running both with a real CD and with an emulated drive, I can say the experience with the emulated drive is much smoother. In particular, there's no lag when the game needs to go for a sound file.
I've actually been unable to get Diablo running off of my hard drive, despite numerous attempts. If someone could contact me through PM's (I assume that's not something to be discussed publicly, here) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance. =)
As I recall, the Diablo CD can be ripped into ISO format without much trouble. It predates copy protection measures that interfere with normal CD reads. Once it's an ISO, you can use Daemon Tools or equivalent to mount it as a virtual CD drive. Then just change the registry entry that tells Diablo what drive the CD is on, and you're good to go. I'll dig up the exact registry path later. Alternately, you could uninstall Diablo, then reinstall it from the virtual drive to ensure that the registry entry is set right. If you do that, be careful to manually patch up to v1.09 before accessing the MP menu. I'm not sure what it would do to Diablo or your characters to try to run a v1.00 Diablo these days.
Quote:I'll dig up the exact registry path later.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\Archives\DiabloCD
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Quote:I've actually been unable to get Diablo running off of my hard drive, despite numerous attempts. If someone could contact me through PM's (I assume that's not something to be discussed publicly, here) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance. =)

I thought you just needed a modified Storm.dll? Almost every mod for D1 has the ability to play off the hard drive. You might want to check some of them out.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:I thought you just needed a modified Storm.dll? Almost every mod for D1 has the ability to play off the hard drive. You might want to check some of them out.
Yes, you can play from the HD without using a disc image. You still need to copy the DIABDAT.MPQ file from the CD to the HD though, as the game can't be played without it.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
I've attempted using multiple versions of different cracks, none of them allow me to access battle.net, though they let me play.
Quote:I've attempted using multiple versions of different cracks, none of them allow me to access battle.net, though they let me play.

Of course not. The new vercheck detects that. That's why you should use an emulated drive, so you don't need to use a cracked game.
I've only ever needed to mount a game once. I'll be sure to give that a shot next time I'm home. (Probably not too smart to do it through my school's network.)
Quote:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\Archives\DiabloCD

Actually the game does not need any registry information to be there.

You can run it uninstalled, and it will create all the necessary registry information on run (basically some game settings, and battle net info).

Only thing you will be missing out on is that once the auto-run goes, it will say "Install" instead of "Play".

(yey first post after 2 and so years)
You can not kill that which is already dead. At least not easily.
Quote:Kp' date='Apr 6 2008, 02:15 AM' post='146056']
Diablo hasn't been patched in years. Given what some of the patches have done, I say it's best to leave it as is. Diablo's code is so vulnerable to attack that it'd take substantial effort to put a dent in the cheating, which I don't see them doing.

Fixing duping is easy. Dr. Zed fixed it for v1.07, and I forward-ported it to v1.09 after I got tired of the bug turning nice items into potions. I might still have the notes for it somewhere if anyone cares.

With regard to the CD bypass: playing from an image on the hard drive or keeping the music running can bypass CD lag. Also, iirc, Diablo's CD validation isn't very thorough.
Really? I'd like a copy please. one correction: its turning potions into nice items. but i know your point.
[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=7]

Aogon(LGT) - Leader of a clan on b.net where the we are tring to revive D1 the way its supposed to be played! ALL YOUR DUPES CANNOT SURVIVE MAKE THEIR TIME. LEGIT clan (LGT)
Quote:one correction: its turning potions into nice items.

Actually, it's not. What he is talking about is when a player clicks on an item on the ground during play, and while walking up to it arranges his potion belt or maybe inventory gold or something and inadvertently "dupes" the item he is trying to pick up into something useless. Burn. Actually avoiding duping good items from potions is pretty easy.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Quote:Holy crap, it's a FoxBat. I haven't seen a FoxBat in ... a few years?

-Lem
Drop by RB now and again, and you might see a bit of him. If school is taking too much of your time, I understand. B)

Diablo III is coming. With a predicted release date of 2009, I'd say you'll be done with grad school by the time it is actually released. :lol:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete