Friendly fire, any workaround?
After a...10 year hiatus from diablo 1 I've finally come back and want to play it with a buddy of mine. However, I don't remember my arrows and spells hurting people I am questing with. Is there any such mod that allows partying (ala diablo 2) or allows my missiles to pass through my allies unopposed?
No real workarounds. I suppose some anti-PK hacks exist. Aside from the issue of grief play, I always felt that this was a lot better than the Sesame Street approach more recent games (including D2) have taken to friendly fire. If one person is going to "tank" and make the others virtually invincible, then those others at least have to take the bother to find an open line of fire. It's actually not that hard once you get used to it, although friendly use of Chain Lightning is a very nuanced and tricky issue.
Thanks for the fast reply. D2 has spoiled me I 'spose. D1 just feels too slowly paced to be able to get a clear line of sight before the creature dies. Guess I'll just tough it out...or play solo. :P
It just takes some getting used to. Most of the time in Diablo, you actually don't want both players attacking the same mob. You try to get to the flank early and pick off the mobs that are furthest away from the warrior before they get to him, and let him kill the ones that he is engaged with. Your role is mostly one of crowd control. If you are playing hell levels and he gets swarmed, you can help by stonecursing one or two until he has the situation under control. Sometimes you might split up the monsters by type and say, one type is easiest for me to kill and the other for you, so lets try to divide and conquer based on that.

The slow walk becomes moot once you have teleport and a few hundred mana. After that, Diablo is considerably faster paced than Diablo II.

Ignore all this if you happen to play Ironman or some other crazy situation where you are completely in over your heads. There you want to set up kill zones and have all players attacking one monster at once.
Quote:After a...10 year hiatus from diablo 1 I've finally come back and want to play it with a buddy of mine. However, I don't remember my arrows and spells hurting people I am questing with. Is there any such mod that allows partying (ala diablo 2) or allows my missiles to pass through my allies unopposed?

When I co-op I try to limit my use of offensive spells, in particular chain lightning. I only co-op as a warrior or rogue though, so its not too difficult to avoid the over use of spells. Mages are terrible for co-op, and I generally dont care to game with them usually.

As far as arrows go, the best way to avoid hitting your partner(s) is to use a different "lane" then they do when approaching combat. Also, rogues should avoid using shift attack if at all possible. Using shift is a GREAT way to pk your fellow gamers in a co op. Rogues tend to be a little bit on the fragile side though, so they are often all over the place with teleports and what not, thus it is still possible for you to be hit by errant arrows. Certain desync issues as well as auto-aim make it so that avoiding being hit entirely is next to impossible. Also, rogues dont like warriors who insist on walking in front of her to rush to a mob. This is a great way to get yourself pk'd in a hurry, especially if you are playing on high level chars.

Pay attention to where your fellow gamer are and just avoid using shift alot (you should really try to avoid it entirely), and the number of pk deaths should be reduced greatly.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)