Ubuntu Linux OS
Hello :w00t:

Anyone using Ubuntu a FREE Operating System ?

I love the word FREE:wub:

Quote:Ubuntu is a community developed, Linux-based operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. It contains all the applications you need - a web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet software, instant messaging and much more.

The Ubuntu promise:
Ubuntu will always be free of charge, including enterprise releases and security updates.
Ubuntu comes with full commercial support from Canonical and hundreds of companies around the world.
Ubuntu includes the very best translations and accessibility infrastructure that the free software community has to offer.
Ubuntu CDs contain only free software applications; we encourage you to use free and open source software, improve it and pass it on.
Read more about the Ubuntu philosophy

UBUNTU.Com
Wikipedia
A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Quote:Hello :w00t:

Anyone using Ubuntu a FREE Operating System ?

I love the word FREE:wub:
Yes. For one of my academic collegues, I created a VMware player build of Ubuntu to be distributed as a development environment for physics/engineering students to do linux based C / C# /C++ and Java development. That way they can run it on their XP/Vista OS laptops without having to install Linux directly on the laptop. I also have it running on MS VPC which is also free. VMware works better though.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Yea, I've used ububtu for a couple years. Depending on what you are trying to do, it works pretty well.
Delgorasha of <The Basin> on Tichondrius Un-re-retired
Delcanan of <First File> on Runetotem
Hi,

Quote:Anyone using Ubuntu a FREE Operating System ?
I use Kubutnu (the Ubuntu flavor using KDE as window manager) both at work and at home, and I love it. It's very easy to install and rather easy to maintain compared to other Linux distributions, and runs faster on my old work laptop than Win XP. On my work desktop, I have VirtualBox (a virtual machine environment) installed and use it to run the odd Windows application that's not available for Linux, although for my field of research (networks) there are more programs I need that only run on Linux and not on Windows. ;)

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
2 of my computers at home use Ubuntu.

My MythTV box uses Mythbuntu (after all the modifications I made to it, I should have done full Ubuntu)
and my file server uses Ubuntu LTS ("LTS" = Long term support, because I don't really mess with that machine much. I reboot it every 2 months so it installs any auto-updates it has downloaded. Otherwise I just leave it alone and it does it's thing) It just sits there and runs.

For the crowd who uses computers for email, web and the occasional document, Linux is a great alternative without too steep a learning curve. They have made OS install INCREDIBLY simple. It's much easier and faster for me to install Ubuntu than Windows. WAY easier.

However, inevitably you end up wanting to run software in Linux that you can't or requires significant learning to be able to setup properly. That list is shrinking, but it's definitely still there.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Concillian: you only need to restart the components that have had opened or mapped files updated. Everything else can be left running.

The limitations should be even less troublesome as time goes on. Many modern CPUs have hardware virtualization support, which lets the user run guest operating systems at near native speeds. The KVM project distributes a modified QEMU to take advantage of VT/SVM extensions. With it, you can run a Windows guest on Linux without rebooting. KVM is Free, so your only cost would be the Windows license and fees for whatever Windows-only software you wanted -- costs you'd incur with Windows-on-hardware anyway!:) Caveat: programs which require hardware assistance (e.g. 3D intensive games) may perform poorly under virtualization, at least until that hardware is virtualization-aware.
Quote:Kp' date='Apr 4 2008, 09:00 PM' post='146040']
Concillian: you only need to restart the components that have had opened or mapped files updated. Everything else can be left running.

That would require thought. And a login.
I can just hit the power button, the OS shuts itself down, go to the bathroom or get a drink, hit the power button again, and it's all set when it finishes booting. I'm not an ISP, 10 minutes of downtime > actually logging in and figuring out if or what it updated.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.