Definitions
I am kind of confused about what "purist" means. I do not take items from other players, but I switch items between characters. I just recently looked at the glossary to find the definition of what my playing style is.

The DSF glossary gives the following definitions:

Player-Pure: "A playing style that involves using only items found or bought in games by the characters of a single player; that means you may swap legit items among various characters of your own, such as passing the great bow that your sorceror found to a rogue that you play. See: pure; Ultra-pure."

Pure: "A playing style that involves using only items found or bought in a game by that character; that means, you don't even swap legit items among various characters of your own, let alone with other players. See: Player Pure; Ultra-pure."

Purist: N/A

I always thought I was pure, but it seems I am not. I am player-pure. I used to think Purist meant you are what the DSF Glossary defines as pure. So I would call myself pure(not realizing the glossary already defined pure). Is the definition of purist actually what the DSF Glossary defines as "player-pure"? If so, then player-pure and purist are interchangeable. That would make me purist.
Hi,

Quote:I am kind of confused about what "purist" means. I do not take items from other players, but I switch items between characters.
For my part, I'd say that 'purist' applies to either case (i.e., 'pure' or 'player pure').

I'd also say, dinna fash yerself, lad, it's nay a mickle matter.;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

On a DSF post, if someone said they had a pure level 30 rogue, it meant that this character did not trade or accept gifts from other characters, including the player's own characters. "Pure" on the DSF was largely a statement suggesting the character was pure from *twinking*.

On public b.net, "pure", "pure legit", or "100% legit" often seemed to be used to suggest that a character was pure from *duping* in the only way a player could truly guarantee such things, by not trading with other players. This behavior would be called "player pure" on the DSF to avoid confusion.

I don't think "purist" was commonly used on DSF, so that's probably why it isn't defined. It does sound like something that different people would attach different meanings to.

I also used the term "group pure", although I don't think it was really used on the DSF. This would describe a set of characters who trade only amongst each other. For example, some of the groups that get together on RBD at a specific time each week (mostly D2) only play with each other and have certain restrictions. So they can choose whether to allow outside characters to contribute items into that group, or only use the items those specific characters find collectively. Denoting the latter case as "group pure" saves a lot of time, assuming the players already understand the implications of that term.
Quote:I don't think "purist" was commonly used on DSF, so that's probably why it isn't defined.

I see. Maybe my brother did create the term purist afterall. However, he was playing "pure". He just didn't realize it.
Quote:I am kind of confused about what "purist" means. I do not take items from other players, but I switch items between characters. I just recently looked at the glossary to find the definition of what my playing style is.

The DSF glossary gives the following definitions:

Player-Pure: "A playing style that involves using only items found or bought in games by the characters of a single player; that means you may swap legit items among various characters of your own, such as passing the great bow that your sorceror found to a rogue that you play. See: pure; Ultra-pure."

Pure: "A playing style that involves using only items found or bought in a game by that character; that means, you don't even swap legit items among various characters of your own, let alone with other players. See: Player Pure; Ultra-pure."

Purist: N/A

I always thought I was pure, but it seems I am not. I am player-pure. I used to think Purist meant you are what the DSF Glossary defines as pure. So I would call myself pure(not realizing the glossary already defined pure). Is the definition of purist actually what the DSF Glossary defines as "player-pure"? If so, then player-pure and purist are interchangeable. That would make me purist.

Strange, then, how do they define Ultra-pure?
Quote:Strange, then, how do they define Ultra-pure?

Pushing a lot further into the category of self-restricting playing styles. It's a specific rule set made by Claudio, as quoted below:

Ultra-Pure means:
Legit
Pure
And:
The Ultra-Pure character can only buy blue/red/yellow potions, townportal scrolls and scrolls of resurrect for multiplayer games. All other items (books, elixirs, weapons and armors) must be found in the dungeon. Besides this restriction, the Ultra-Pure character has full access to the town: identify items, sell items, repair items, recharge staffs and healing chez Pepin. No storage characters are allowed, just your 40 inventory slots. An Ultra-Pure character shouldn�t enter, with the help of high level characters, areas that are to dangerous for her/him. An Ultra-Pure character should make a 3@30 run (optional). An Ultra-Pure character shouldn't play with known cheaters or with characters of much higher clevel (unimportant after 3@30 is done).

Some Rule-clarifications:
The Ultra-Pure character can buy any kind of weapons and armors and pass it over to other legit characters or friends, but must not use it. The Ultra-Pure character can buy a non-magical or magical item, if she/he finds a hidden shrine and want to replace an indestructable item to use the shrine. After using the shrine this item must be replaced/dropped.

http://web.archive.org/web/19991004151003/.../www.catbwo.de/

Wonder what Claudio is up to these days?
Good topic, Ghast. I was having this discussion in LE the other day with someone who said only "purists" exist, and that there was no such thing as "player-pure" or "ultra-purist" :rolleyes:

However, Ive always seen a bit different terminolgy used for these different char types/defintions. This is what ive seen most people refer to with the following:

Legit: Follows all the standard rules of playing legit (i.e no duping/using dupes, hacks, dats, abuse of ms bug, etc etc). This char may accept items from other people, so long as they know the person/item is indeed legit. Basically you should only do this if you really trust the person. Since you can never be 100% sure, common sense and good judgment are the rule of thumb here. If someone offers you Dragons Zodiac Ammy for free, its more then likely a dupe. A rare exception for such a case would be two players who are legit and have gamed with one another for a long time, a code of trust is well established. While scanners are very flawed, having one for situations like this can be a good idea so you can check the items code and make sure its not on the common dupes list. This still isnt a guarantee, as the list hasnt been updated in years. If you have absolutly any doubt about the item, you shouldnt acceptit. And its also a good idea to never take items from public games. I generally prefer to use items only I find, and there are only a handful of people that i truly trust that I would ever accept items from or trade with.

Semi-Purist: A char which must buy or find his/her own items, exchanging items between other chars that person may have is acceptable (the example you made for instance about finding a nice item with another char that has no use for it, like a mage finding a nice bow), but must never take any items, books, or elixers from anyone else. Basically this is the same thing as "Player-Pure".

Purist: This is a char which must find or buy his/her own items, and CANNOT swap items from even his/her own other chars, let alone anyone else. That particular char must find everything itself. Same thing as "Pure" pretty much.

Ultra-Purist: Same thing as Ultra-Pure. All the rules of Purist, but you cannot buy any items except potions or scrolls. All items, books, and elixers must be found in the dungeon. They MAY buy items for other chars but must never use them.Ive also been told by a few people that Ultra Pures may only game with fellow Ultra Pures to ensure the variant is played properly.

By these defintions, I have a lvl 41 dotless Pure/ist (PuristTaloN), and a lvl 50 Semi Pure/ist (EmeraldTaloN). Rest of my chars are just plain legit.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)