April quotes
Quote:4/9/2008

No one has yet discovered the limitations of hte power of his own mind.

Napoleon Hill
Just because he didn't, he assumes no one else ever did?

Small minds seem to run in the same circles.

Quote:Chess is mental torture. -- Garry Kasparov
Solution: play waterchess on a waterboard.

If there's anything else you need help with, I'll be in the bar, quaffing Guinness.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
4/12/2008

Greetings from Nashville:) Yesterday had no Inet access thanks to violent weather in the TN and KY area.

1To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

-- Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
Quote:4/12/2008

Greetings from Nashville:) Yesterday had no Inet access thanks to violent weather in the TN and KY area.
1To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

5A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

7A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

Right now it should be spring! Why am I freezing my buns off huddled in my furs by a fire?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hi,

Life is what you do, while your Waiting to Die, Life is how TIME goes by :wub:

a song from Zorba the Greek [broadway musical] :whistling:

Quote:"Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is a Season)", often abbreviated to "Turn! Turn! Turn!", is a song written and composed by Pete Seeger in the 1950s. Seeger waited until 1962 to record it, releasing the song on his album The Bitter and The Sweet on Columbia Records.

The lyrics are taken almost verbatim from the King James version of the Bible (Ecclesiastes 3, verses 1–8). The Biblical text posits there being a time and place for all things: laughter and sorrow, healing and killing, war and peace, and so on. The lines are open to myriad interpretations, but as a song they are commonly performed as a plea for world peace, with stress on the closing line: "a time for peace, I swear it's not too late," the latter phrase being the only part of the lyric written by Seeger himself.

Turn! Turn! Turn! From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :D

Quote:4/12/2008

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Hello :w00t:

Because you live in...Minneapolis, Minnesota...where it is COLD even in April :w00t:

Forecast for Mesa, Arizona...71°F at 11:42 pm, Feels Like 68°F, Sunny Days 296 avg. :wub:

Quote:Right now it should be spring! Why am I freezing my buns off huddled in my furs by a fire?

I will share my Warmth with you...> [Image: weather-01s.gif]

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Quote:Hello :w00t:

Because you live in...Minneapolis, Minnesota...where it is COLD even in April :w00t:

Forecast for Mesa, Arizona...71°F at 11:42 pm, Feels Like 68°F, Sunny Days 296 avg. :wub:
I will share my Warmth with you...> [Image: weather-01s.gif]
Thanks! I'm warming up already. :wub:

The low was 18F here this morning, so not really even April weather AT ALL! Couple that with the fact that we've had the longest and coldest winter in my recollection.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:Thanks! I'm warming up already. :wub:

The low was 18F here this morning, so not really even April weather AT ALL! Couple that with the fact that we've had the longest and coldest winter in my recollection.

Maybe you haven't been burning enough gasoline in your pit.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Quote:Thanks! I'm warming up already. :wub:

Wow, that's crazy! It was so hot here today in Santa Barbara at 88F; the low was 61F and it was definitely HOTTER yesterday! Here's a quote from MSN Weather:

Quote:HOT WEATHER TO CONTINUE ON SUNDAY ACROSS THE SOUTHLAND WITH ANOTHER ROUND OF RECORD HIGHS EXPECTED...
AN UPPER LEVEL HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM COMBINED WITH MODERATE OFFSHORE FLOW BROUGHT SEVERAL RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES TO THE SOUTHLAND ON SATURDAY...
WITH MANY COASTAL AND VALLEY AREAS SOARING WELL INTO THE 90S. THE SANTA ANA WIND CONDITION BROUGHT SOME OF THE WARMEST TEMPERATURES TO THE COASTAL PLAIN.

ON SUNDAY... THE IMMEDIATE COAST WILL LIKELY HAVE A FEW DEGREES OF COOLING DUE TO WEAKER OFFSHORE FLOW AND AN EARLIER ARRIVAL OF THE SEA BREEZE.

HOWEVER... THE OVERALL AIR MASS IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE WARMING ON SUNDAY... LEADING TO EVEN WARMER TEMPERATURES ACROSS INLAND PORTIONS OF THE COASTAL PLAIN... VALLEYS... MOUNTAINS... AND DESERTS. SOME OF THE WARMEST INLAND LOCATIONS COULD SOAR INTO THE UPPER 90S ON SUNDAY... WITH ISOLATED READINGS POSSIBLY REACHING THE CENTURY MARK. THE LOWER MOUNTAIN ELEVATIONS AND ANTELOPE VALLEY WILL LIKELY REACH THE 90 DEGREE MARK.

SEVERAL MORE RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED ON SUNDAY.

ONSHORE FLOW IS EXPECTED TO INCREASE CONSIDERABLY ON MONDAY... LEADING TO SIGNIFICANT COOLING ACROSS MUCH OF THE REGION... .WITH TREMENDOUS COOLING ON TUESDAY. IN FACT... MANY COASTAL AND VALLEY AREAS COULD EXPERIENCE OVER 30 DEGREES OF COOLING FROM SUNDAY TO TUESDAY.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:If there's anything else you need help with, I'll be in the bar, quaffing Guinness.
Occhi

Since this is a topic on quotes, I just thought I'd quote that for you :D. I get a kick out of your sense of humor Occi; keep up the good work. I just hope I don't get flamed for this comment :whistling:.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
4/14/2008

Everday somebody does something amazing. Make today your day.
Quote:Since this is a topic on quotes, I just thought I'd quote that for you :D. I get a kick out of your sense of humor Occi; keep up the good work. I just hope I don't get flamed for this comment :whistling:.
No flames, and thanks for the tip 'o the cap. :D

When the muse strikes, I get enjoyment out of my attempts at humor, even when nobody else does.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
4/15/2008

The tax man cometh.

If people would spend more time thinking of ways to make more money, instead of thinking about how to avoid taxes, they just might come out better.
Oh, Tris! You knew this would get a rise out of me! Here are some other thoughts;

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. -- Frederic Bastiat

The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets. -- Will Rogers

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss. -- Robert A. Heinlein

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill

The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.... -- James Madison

America is a land of taxation that was founded to avoid taxation. -- Dr. Laurence J. Peter

Congress can raise taxes because it can persuade a sizable fraction of the populace that somebody else will pay. -- Milton Friedman

When there is an income tax, the just man will pay more and the unjust less on the same amount of income. -- Plato, The Republic

To force a man to pay for the violation of his own liberty is indeed an addition of insult to injury. -- Benjamin Tucker in Instead of a Book

It would be a hard government that should tax its people one-tenth part of their income. -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanac, 1758

Politicians never accuse you of 'greed' for wanting other people's money --- only for wanting to keep your own money. -- Joseph Sobran, (1946- ) American writer and editor.

People who relieve others of their money with guns are called robbers. It does not alter the immorality of the act when the income transfer is carried out by government. -- Cal Thomas

Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.

Sun Tzu
Quote:Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.

Sun Tzu

Truer words were never spoken. A wise person once told me the U.S. government was based on "legislation through crisis," or in other words, things only got done in Congress when there was a real need for it. He said that saying was true in his day in the 50's, and I'd say it's very true today (i.e. global warming). Humans do have an uncanny knack for survival when confronted with dismal odds, however when will we as a society stop looking at the immediate picture and start focusing on the "big", long-term one?
Quote:Truer words were never spoken. A wise person once told me the U.S. government was based on "legislation through crisis," or in other words, things only got done in Congress when there was a real need for it. He said that saying was true in his day in the 50's, and I'd say it's very true today (i.e. global warming). Humans do have an uncanny knack for survival when confronted with dismal odds, however when will we as a society stop looking at the immediate picture and start focusing on the "big", long-term one?
Do you find it ironic that you posted this in a discussion connected to taxation and government? ;)

Self interest is where any interest begins, even public interest, and is oft described as a variation on:

"What's in it for me?"

I think that answers your question.

DR
In Memory of Pete
4/17/2008

Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.
Confucius
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." - Bruce Lee

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Bruce Campbell, Army of Darkness

"What you do if someone doesn't understand your song, is to keep on singing your song." - Bruce Springsteen, attributed

"This is the same fight the US fought 60 years ago." - Bruce Willis on the War on Terror
Quality over quantity.
- BruceGod -
4/20/2008

Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, give up

Winston Churchill
Quote:Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, give up

Winston Churchill
So why is that admirable in Winston Churchill but not in Hillary Clinton?

hmm, think think think ...

Certainly you should never give up when outsiders are visiting violence among the people you love. Never give up against the Nazis, or any authoritarian rule. And there are other righteous causes against horrible things -- slavery, apartheid, British rule, no-jeans-at-work policies -- that should be fought without faltering.

But at some point, "not giving up" is just hardheadedness. At what point does it change? I think that unfortunately, there's no definitive answer. Also, like beauty, it's subjective. If Hillary were my candidate because she was the only one advocating something dear to me, I would want her to continue trying to win and her struggle would be a valiant one. However, those not in that category would see this as hardheaded ambition gone unchecked. Which is it really?

I think the barometer in this case is whether she is helping her causes by continuing. Pick an issue -- let's see -- how about health care. She should look at whether continuing on is just hurting the party by turning people off to both Democandidates. If fighting Obama increases McCain's chances, that is going against the cause, and then it would be hardheadedness that makes her continue.

Aside: Of course, it may help Obama in the long run to get some adversity now rather than getting swiftboated. Or, getting crap early may give time for a label to stick and fester. Right now, the term "elitist" is being tacked on. That one will probably stick -- after all, Obama graduated Harvard Law (with some distinction that I can't remember), and can't bowl very well.

-V
Improprietor
The Forsaken Inn
"Browse Our Antiques and Souvenirs"