April quotes
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote:Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

Napoleon Bonaparte
Napoleon couldn't get it up with a crane.

~Empress Josephine~
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

Quote:Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

Napoleon Bonaparte
"On the other hand, I think I'll retire to Elba." -- Nappy the Bone

In other news:

"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -- H.L. Mencken

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Hello :w00t:

Quote:No matter how good you get you can always get better and that's the exciting part.

-Tiger Woods
ps: Why the HELL should I have to PRESS 1 for ENGLISH [Image: icon14.gif]

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Quote:Hello :w00t:
ps: Why the HELL should I have to PRESS 1 for ENGLISH [Image: icon14.gif]

Because you'd be even more pissed if you had to press 9?
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Hello :w00t:

Quote:Because you'd be even more pissed if you had to press 9?

Why the HELL should I have to PRESS 9 for ENGLISH :P

New Thread: Press "1" for English, Idiotic questions that repeatedly crop up.

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
4/4/2008

We are terrible for each other, and, yes, we are a disaster.

But tell me your heart doesn't race like a hurricane or a burning building.

I'd rather die terrified than live forever.

- A Softer World
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
4/5/2008 -- I'm back in FL after the trip to Pittsburgh/Youngstown.

Do I believe in luck? Yes, I believe in bad luck. I believe I will always have it. I plan accordingly.
-- Napoleon (Paraphrased)
Quote:4/5/2008 -- I'm back in FL after the trip to Pittsburgh/Youngstown.
Do I believe in luck? Yes, I believe in bad luck. I believe I will always have it. I plan accordingly.
-- Napoleon (Paraphrased)
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." -- Seneca
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

4/8/2008

All the gold which is under or upon the earth is not enough to give in exchange for virtue.
-- Plato
Quote:4/8/2008

All the gold which is under or upon the earth is not enough to give in exchange for virtue.
-- Plato
"It gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head." -- Warren Buffet on Gold
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:"It gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head." -- Warren Buffet on Gold

Somebody that makes huge amounts of money just by buying 'air' cheap and selling it for more should not say these things.:)
4/9/2008

No one has yet discovered the limitations of hte power of his own mind.

Napoleon Hill
Hi,

Quote:. . . It has no utility. . . .
Spoken like the true ignorant money person he (Warren Buffet) is. Ask any engineer about gold's density, malleability, heat and current conductivity, etc., etc.. If it weren't so expensive, it would be the most used material after water.

--Pete

Quote:Hi,
Spoken like the true ignorant money person he (Warren Buffet) is. Ask any engineer about gold's density, malleability, heat and current conductivity, etc., etc.. If it weren't so expensive, it would be the most used material after water.

--Pete
But but....

I had the impression that was his point. The monetary value of gold has no relationship to its utility. :unsure:
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Hi,

Quote:. . . The monetary value of gold has no relationship to its utility.
That is a true statement, but it is not at all what he said. A lot of things have little or no correlation between their cost and their value. Diamonds, for instance. Many gem size and quality uncut diamonds are crushed into industrial powder to keep the (inflated) value of gemstones up.

To a large extent, the cost of gold does effect it utility. As an example: if gold were as cheap as copper, it would completely replace copper for traces in circuit boards, but when all the design parameters are considered, gold loses because of its high cost. Of course, unlike diamonds which have few uses and are relatively plentiful, gold has many (potential) uses and is relatively rare. That alone is enough to drive the vale up, though perhaps not enough to match its cost.

--Pete

Quote:Somebody that makes huge amounts of money just by buying 'air' cheap and selling it for more should not say these things.:)
Are you talking about my little WOW auction house worker who is making a killing on Elementals, or Warren Buffet? :lol: We both do the same thing, establish a true value for a commodity then buy it when its under valued and sell it for much more. I do that with stocks as well, but Warren's been doing it better and longer.

Quote:Hi,

--Pete
I still think the Martians would think it odd that we treat something so useful, so uselessly.

Quote:4/9/2008

No one has yet discovered the limitations of the power of his own mind.

Napoleon Hill
Chess is mental torture. -- Garry Kasparov

Quote:4/8/2008

-- Plato
Plato never met an easy lay.

~Aristotle~

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete