World of Warcraft Patch 2.4
Quote:An interesting note about the new 25 man dungeon: None of the bosses encountered so far crush.

EJ posters seem to concur this is probably an experiment on Blizzards part in doing away with the crush mechanic altogether (something they have expressed unhappiness with in the past, apparently).

Tank itemization could get more interesting in WotLK if this continues. Seems like, offhand, quite a boost to bear tanks as well, that traditionally get crushed and just deal with it by having capped armor rating.

I'm pretty sure I read where Blizzard are not happy with the crush mechanic and were looking at removing it. The change away from block gear on Warrior gear to dodge may be a move in that direction.
If so, I hope they compensate paladin tanks appropriately (Which, knowing Blizzard, is not likely to happen any time soon). One of their main advantages over a warrior for a boss tanking is consistent crush immunity - it doesn't take long for both Shield Block charges to get eaten.
Quote:If so, I hope they compensate paladin tanks appropriately (Which, knowing Blizzard, is not likely to happen any time soon). One of their main advantages over a warrior for a boss tanking is consistent crush immunity - it doesn't take long for both Shield Block charges to get eaten.

Just as soon as they compensate druid and warrior tanks to be able to tank omgeverythingallatonce.;)
Quote:Just as soon as they compensate druid and warrior tanks to be able to tank omgeverythingallatonce.;)

At least once you're done with the trash, they can DPS, instead of tap the mob once every few minutes with a pre-BC epic axe, while running around bandaging.
Quote:At least once you're done with the trash, they can DPS, instead of tap the mob once every few minutes with a pre-BC epic axe, while running around bandaging.

What?
Quote:What?
Some prot paladins get nightfall (the +% magic damage axe from MC) to use when they aren't tanking. Since any amount of dps they could do with a better weapon is offset by the extra damage is provides the casters.

Also prot warriors are just as worthless as prot paladins when they aren't tanking. Druids are unique in their ability to switch between dps and tanking.
Delgorasha of <The Basin> on Tichondrius Un-re-retired
Delcanan of <First File> on Runetotem
Quote:Also prot warriors are just as worthless as prot paladins when they aren't tanking. Druids are unique in their ability to switch between dps and tanking.

That is true only in fights where the prot warrior must wear his tanking gear. Fury geared prot warriors can do DPS about on par with cats at tier 5+ gear levels, I understand.

This is why in my ZA runs, I generally tank mobs like Akil'zon, since adding an extra healer would be meaningless, but adding a prot warrior in DPS gear adds a good 600+ dps for us.
Jormuttar is Soo Fat...
Protection warriors in Fury gear (using a very simple Whirlwind/Devastate rotation) deal respectable DPS. Not awesome, but they've hit the 1k mark in Hyjal, as I understand.

Of course, that's not competitive with a DPS class (who, I understand, can surpass 1500+ easily in BT), but still, it's respectable. It requires Fury gear, though, which is difficult to get for a Protection warrior.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:Protection warriors in Fury gear (using a very simple Whirlwind/Devastate rotation) deal respectable DPS. Not awesome, but they've hit the 1k mark in Hyjal, as I understand.

Of course, that's not competitive with a DPS class (who, I understand, can surpass 1500+ easily in BT), but still, it's respectable. It requires Fury gear, though, which is difficult to get for a Protection warrior.

We generally just run one fury warrior, so our prot warriors are collecting fury gear pretty easily.

Of course, we allow for it (encourage it) in our loot system. If no one is bidding for a main-spec item, folks can /roll for it if it is off-spec to them, so there is no charge for a prot warrior taking fury gear under our loot system whatsoever.
Jormuttar is Soo Fat...