Dwarf Fortress
Heiho,

more or less by accident I've stumbled recently over Bay12 Games, specifically the one called Dwarf Fortress. I still have that soft spot for ASCII Art games, maybe this is a Nethack leftover. Not that I'm any good at it, but I like it.
After all, the game which caused my appearance here at the Lounge years ago was heavily outdated in graphical appearance even when it was published.

Still there are game developers who don't pay too much (... or any ...) attention to showy eye-candy, and amongst those is Bay 12.
So if you like a challenge in adventuring either in some Civilisation-like or in a Rogue-like manner, and don't mind 'Extended ASCII character set rendered in 16 colors (including black) as well as 8 background colors (including black)' as a reason for instant dismiss, check it out. It'll give you a hell of a game.

The initial steps are quite hard, and first step of all when firing up the game is it'll start to generate the world. Which needs 25min at least.
What the ... ?
Yeah, it's an ASCII Art game, and it needs half an hour at the initial start. All the CPU power it can get it'll spend on generating a complex world some thousand miles across including erosion, geologics, and a thousand years of history.
This might give you an idea of the game's complexity, because all of this affects the game, it is not just background noise.

Just thought I give it a heads up here, for some fellow Lurkers who might be interested.

so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
I gave this a try a while back, but I probably didn't give it a fair chance. ASCII art doesn't bother me at all, but the learning curve that inevitably comes with such a UI is just about unbearable. I mastered Angband (how to play that is.. I've only won the thing 3 times in several hundred attempts), but it is a very simple game compared to some of the others.
I tried Dwarf Fortress a few months ago and was very excited about it, but the learning curve threw me off too. Still, watching it generate a world was enough to make the experience worthwhile.
The error occurred on line -1.