I think I just made a couple of clerks' days...
I'm in a bit of a financial crunch at the moment, and when casting about for ways to make it through to the next paycheck, I realized that I had a whole shelf of console games that I hadn't even thought about (much less played) in the last six months or so. So I boxed up all my console games and offloaded them at a local GameStop. The look on the clerk's face when I asked if I could sell them 50+ games was pretty interesting. ;)

I ended up selling the following to the store for $243 in store credit (which magically became $201 since I wanted cash:():

---X-Box---
Advent Rising
Arx Fatalis
Breakdown
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Phantom Dust
Shenmue II

---PS2---
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
Beyond Good & Evil
Burnout: Revenge
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
Disgaea - Hour of Darkness
Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII Collector's Edition
Freedom Fighters
Front Mission 4
Future Tactics: The Uprising
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Gladius
Growlanser: Heritage of War
ICO
I-Ninja
Katamari Damacy
Kill.Switch
La Pucelle Tactics
Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
Mark of Kri
Rise of the Kasai
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
Metal Saga
Musashi: Samurai Legend
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Okami
Oni
Phantom Brave
Psychonauts
Romancing SaGa
Project: Snowblind
Rez
Ring of Red
Robotech: Battlecry
Seven Samurai 20XX
Shadow of the Colossus
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Shadow Hearts: From the New World
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga I
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga II
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity
Tekken 5
Tenchu: Fatal Shadows
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
Viewtiful Joe
Wild ARMS 4
Xenosaga
Xenosaga II
Xenosaga III

In addition I sold a few games directly to the clerks (accomplished by them taking 'smoke breaks' after I had left). I sold Growlanser: Generations, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, and Final Fantasy Tactics to one for $65, and Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 to the other for $20. I guess it's a no-no for them to buy used games from the store they work at or something, it's the only reason I could come up with for them wanting to pay more to get them from me than to buy them off the used shelf themselves.

I feel horrible for getting rid of my collection, even though I would never have finished all those games. I'm just such a packrat; I know I am but I can't stop. :wacko:

It was weird hearing them say 'Wow, all your stuff is in good condition!' though. I guess most of the games they get back are dirty, sticky and bent to hell, but I only bought games in good condition (no disc scratches, manual present and in good condition, sleeve not bent or torn - heck, I'd go buy DVD cases at CompUSA to put them in since the used cases were always gunky from the stickers the store would put on them!) - I guess I'm a bit weird like that. :blush:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Quote:I
It was weird hearing them say 'Wow, all your stuff is in good condition!' though. I guess most of the games they get back are dirty, sticky and bent to hell, but I only bought games in good condition (no disc scratches, manual present and in good condition, sleeve not bent or torn - heck, I'd go buy DVD cases at CompUSA to put them in since the used cases were always gunky from the stickers the store would put on them!) - I guess I'm a bit weird like that. :blush:

The majority of PS2 users who take good care of their games do not resell them

The majority of PS2 users who resell their games are probably not even adults.

It doesn't really surprise me.

I still play my PS2 when I'm not playing WoW. You can get some REALLY good games cheap, and if you don't care so much that the graphics are not as good as they could be if you were playing a PS3 or Wii or 360, it's a very economical way of entertaining yourself.

Games like ICO and SOTC are virtually timeless.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Yes, heresy that you sold your ICO.

;)

But if you're hungry some things don't matter much anymore. I know that feeling.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
You'd be surprised at the state of things folks try to return/sell. In my line of work, we run a small movie rental section. There are some new movies we've had for...2 weeks, tops (We get new movies every week) that look like they have been used as someone's kitchen Brillo pad. I don't understand it. You take the dvd out of it's case. You place it into the dvd player. You watch the movie. You return the dvd to it's case.

Where in there do folks get "Do the dishes with the dvd"?

My fiancee works at a used/second hand shop, and some of the stuff she gets from folks is stunning. Getting stuff from someone who's actually taken care of their stuff, makes her day. Though bringing her 50+ games might not.;)But then she's also in a small store, not a bigger chain.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Quote:You'd be surprised at the state of things folks try to return/sell. In my line of work, we run a small movie rental section. There are some new movies we've had for...2 weeks, tops (We get new movies every week) that look like they have been used as someone's kitchen Brillo pad. I don't understand it. You take the dvd out of it's case. You place it into the dvd player. You watch the movie. You return the dvd to it's case.

Where in there do folks get "Do the dishes with the dvd"?
One of my cousins has (maybe had) the habbit of misplacing every cover for every cd/dvd he owns, thus his cds/dvds are strewn about the room without any care (usually not on the floor though). Him being a smoker probably doesn't help their condition any. He just doesn't really care all that much about their condition as long as they work.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
I remember back in the days of SNES and Genesis, some stores used to give you extra trade-in credit if you brought the case and manual with the game. Nobody does that anymore, but I have to wonder if something similar might make people treat games better; i.e. trade in a game in good condition and get an extra 10% of the value. Not saying everybody would embrace it, but you have to figure people that buy games and then trade them in once they beat them a few weeks later might make more of an effort to take care of the games.

Quote:So I boxed up all my console games and offloaded them at a local GameStop.
Ouch. Gamestop has notoriously crappy trade-in prices. But, if you needed the money and didn't want to deal with the hassle of Ebay, then I suppose you didn't really have much of a choice.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Quote:One of my cousins has (maybe had) the habbit of misplacing every cover for every cd/dvd he owns, thus his cds/dvds are strewn about the room without any care (usually not on the floor though). Him being a smoker probably doesn't help their condition any. He just doesn't really care all that much about their condition as long as they work.

Yeah, I think most of the people who rent a significant number of DVDs or games have kids. And kids have a different procedures for DVD usage.

While you or I may go:
Remove DVD from case
Place DVD in player
Watch DVD
Remove DVD from player
Place DVD in case

I think kids go:
Remove old DVD from player
place it on top of the stack of other DVDs removed from player in the last 6 months
Remove DVD from case
Place DVD in player
Place case in obscure location mom or dad will have trouble finding when it's time to return DVD
Watch DVD
Leave disc in player until you want to watch something else
Flip through huge pile of discs with the "52 card pickup shuffle" method of finding the disc you like
Remove DVD from player
Place in DVD pile
Place new disc in DVD player
repeat last few steps 3 more times in the next 24 hours

voila!
rental DVD scratched to hell.

My brother in law's kids do almost exactly as I listed (ages 9 and 10)
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:Yeah, I think most of the people who rent a significant number of DVDs or games have kids. And kids have a different procedures for DVD usage.
I wouldn't call a 30 year old a kid, but that does seem to describe how he treats CDs/DVDs.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->