email client
I'm thinking of changing email clients. I'm still using Eudora 7.1.0.9 on Windows XP SP3. It still seems to do what I want to do in the way I expect to do it. However, it seems like it is struggling a bit lately and I'm also worried that if I make the change to Windows 7 with a new laptop that it would not migrate well.

Any recommendations? I would really like close to the same look and feel. Importing my Eudora mailboxes is a must. I know there is Eudora 8.0 but what I've read seems to say it is Thunderbird with a new skin so, if people do recommend that, I would probably just check Thunderbird. Any other good ones to look at?
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:I'm thinking of changing email clients. I'm still using Eudora 7.1.0.9 on Windows XP SP3. It still seems to do what I want to do in the way I expect to do it. However, it seems like it is struggling a bit lately and I'm also worried that if I make the change to Windows 7 with a new laptop that it would not migrate well.

Any recommendations? I would really like close to the same look and feel. Importing my Eudora mailboxes is a must. I know there is Eudora 8.0 but what I've read seems to say it is Thunderbird with a new skin so, if people do recommend that, I would probably just check Thunderbird. Any other good ones to look at?

Thunderbird
Outlook 2010.
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
Quote:Outlook 2010.

O.O

That's not even out yet.
Hi,

Quote:O.O

That's not even out yet.
And until it *is* released, it will be a fine product. :lol:

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:I'm thinking of changing email clients. I'm still using Eudora 7.1.0.9 on Windows XP SP3. It still seems to do what I want to do in the way I expect to do it. However, it seems like it is struggling a bit lately and I'm also worried that if I make the change to Windows 7 with a new laptop that it would not migrate well.

I use Eudora 4.3.2. I have used nothing but Eudora as an email client on my home machines for fifteen years. Why would you want to switch? Eudora is a great product.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Quote:O.O

That's not even out yet.

Sure it is. If you work for a Microsoft Gold partner megacorp with a multi-milion contract with Microsoft and the company asks Microsoft for some beta clients to test it for it's features on SharePoint integration.

It's really good btw.:)

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

I switched from Eudora to Thunderbird long enough ago that I don't remember when it was. It was okay then, it's much better now and it's about the only decent mail client that uses standard mail files anymore.

I guess that makes the mail files no longer standard...?

Our company is going to google mail, I am curious to see what the corporate google mail client is like. It can't be worse than Lotus Notes, so I'm looking forward to it.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:Our company is going to google mail, I am curious to see what the corporate google mail client is like. It can't be worse than Lotus Notes, so I'm looking forward to it.

We've been on google mail for quite some time now (a year?). Is there such a thing as a corporate google mail client?

At least as far as we are set up, we use the web client, same as any free gmail account. The only differences are if your administrator decides to screw you by going all conservative and disabling 'labs' features.

Of course you can use whatever mail client you wish via IMAP.

Switching mail clients was no big deal for me (I personally love being able to get my work email without going through a VPN). I've learned to love the google search with my mail (though there is no partial word search matching).

Switching to the calendar from MS Exchange had a lot more bumps in it. Google calendar works ok, we schedule conference rooms from within it which is nice. Certainly has some odd bugs, and doesn't necessarily play nice with Outlook 100% of the time.
I use thunderbird; so much better than that annoying gmail interface.:)Well gmail is less sluggish now, but I was never a fan of the interface.

The new version of thunderbird seems to have changed the search feature to opening a new tab for every search you make, instead of acting as a filter which annoyed the hell out of me; I changed it back to the old way (Tools---> Options---> advanced ---General tab---> uncheck global search and indexer.)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Quote:Is there such a thing as a corporate google mail client?

I don't know. I haven't known what to expect. I figured they couldn't have us doing email in our browser, that's so kludgy... but I guess that's what's going to happen.

If I don't have to sign in via VPN to get email from home, that will be a major plus though.

At least they finally let us update from IE6 to IE7. That's right, we were mandated to stay on IE6 for our corporate browsing until last month. Needless to say I did most of my browsing with a different browser and just used IE6 for those corporate apps that didn't work in anything else.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:I figured they couldn't have us doing email in our browser, that's so kludgy... but I guess that's what's going to happen.

The browser client isn't too shabby if you learn the keyboard shortcuts. I'd say that is what about 75% of our company is using (including myself even as an old text-based email snob). If it doesn't work for you, at least they have a very fast IMAP server.

The proliferation of everyone using IM now (since that is built in) has been nice. We had some crappy Oracle messaging thing before, which was pretty much Windows only (unless you wanted to fight with some crappy old Java VM) and it never really reached critical mass.
I have another one: Lotus Notes.

But it has its pros and cons, so for the pros: It's clearly arranged, it has an good-structured address book and is easy to use (as soon as it's established).

The cons are: If you connect your phone with it, it will crash when somebody calls you; it will send errors if you change some things in the options (at least thats what happened to me so far).

I would recommend to test it for yourself^^
Dear lord, no, Lotus Notes SUCKS. It was slow, ugly, cumbersome and counter-intuitive. I was soooo happy when the company ditched it in favor of Exchange/Outlook 2007.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,