Thoughts for a 5's team
I've finally decided to give arenas a real shot, instead of just putzing around for points, and I was talking it over with some friends on a good setup. What we've come up with is: Arms Warrior, Discipline Priest, Elemental Shaman, Holy Paladin, and with the last slot being variable. We're probably going to fill it with a SL/SL Warlock, since that's what's going to be available most of the time, but we've got a Mage (who we will almost certainly tell to spec Frost) that said he'd like to put in some games every now and then, so we're probably either going to swap the Elemental Shaman (me) or the Warlock out to let him in for some games.

I think our general gameplan would be to outlast and/or control our opponents, since our lineup is somewhat light on the DPS. With a Mage, we have all defensive dispels covered, and the Priest and Shaman are more than capable of handling offensive dispels. With the Mage, we've even got Spellsteal. We also have solid spell interruptions with Counterspell, Earth Shock, and Pummel.

It'll also probably end up that the five of us (plus alternates when they're up for it) will be queuing for BGs together, since we figure that if all five of us are together, we at least stand a chance against the endless legions of Alliance premades.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:What we've come up with is: Arms Warrior, Discipline Priest, Elemental Shaman, Holy Paladin, and with the last slot being variable.
What you describe is known as the "2345 team," a setup very common from Season 1 on. The joke is that such a team can roll their face across their keyboard, hitting the 2, 3, 4, and 5 keys to cast abilities, and win. :)

But, like Warrior/Druid in 2v2, it's not the players' fault the combo is so strong. Blizzard sets the rules, and the players eventually find the best combos.

You may find this forum thread full of useful tidbits. Also, a decent article showing why 2345 is so strong, for those who are wondering.

My 5v5 lacks a Paladin. It's really starting to hurt us. If we encounter teams with heavy physical DPS, we pretty much lose because I as a Priest am a total liability to my team due to lack of survivability in that situation. We're Warrior/DiscPriest/RestoShaman/Warlock/Mage, and it's close to a 2345 but has some weaknesses that 2345 teams don't have.

Good luck!

-Bolty

P.S. According to the latest data mining, 21.3% of all 2v2 teams above 2000 rating in the US are Warrior/Druid. That number shoots up to 28% for teams over 2200.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:But, like Warrior/Druid in 2v2, it's not the players' fault the combo is so strong. Blizzard sets the rules, and the players eventually find the best combos.

Remember when Warrior/Druid was rare, and we faced up against the #1 Ruin team that was smurfing as Warrior/Druid, and thought "there's no way in hell we'd ever beat them?"

And back then the Druids were whining en masse.

Quote:We're probably going to fill it with a SL/SL Warlock, since that's what's going to be available most of the time, but we've got a Mage (who we will almost certainly tell to spec Frost) that said he'd like to put in some games every now and then, so we're probably either going to swap the Elemental Shaman (me) or the Warlock out to let him in for some games.

You have the exact cookie cutter group, right down to a lock being interchangeable with a mage. It's not the powerhouse that it was in Season 1, but it's still the best overall.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:Remember when Warrior/Druid was rare, and we faced up against the #1 Ruin team that was smurfing as Warrior/Druid, and thought "there's no way in hell we'd ever beat them?"

And back then the Druids were whining en masse.

Well to be fair, I think in S1, 5's was more of the big draw, especially at the start. 5's gave **way** more points then the other brackets then, 5's was what the big bliz sponsored tournament was based on, and points were all you needed, not PR.

Most people would agree that druids still need help in 5v5. There are of course successful druids, but they are relatively rare.

Now that many people are focused on 2v2 as the easiest way to get their PR up, druids seem overpowered.