Zombie Movies
I don't know what it is, but for some reason I love zombie movies. Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead is probably my favorite zombie movie ever, but I really enjoyed 28 Days Later and the Resident Evil series (although I have not seen the third one). Obviously Romero's movies are the cornerstone, but I hated Land of the Dead with a passion - mostly since it contained two of my least favorite actors ever, Dennis Hopper and John Leguizamo.

Peter Jackson's Braindead is another great zombie movie if you're looking for humor in addition to horror.

After seeing so many zombie movies I really feel as though I am very, very prepared for a zombie invasion. Bring that sh*t on. I am ready to pwn some undead. Is it weird that I have gone out of my way to find out where the armory is for the local police in case there is a zombie invasion? Shotguns and M-15s and grenades - oh my!
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Hi,

Quote:[...] I really enjoyed 28 Days Later
If you enjoyed 28 Days Later, you really should watch its successor 28 Weeks Later - I liked it even better than the original.

Quote:Peter Jackson's Braindead is another great zombie movie if you're looking for humor in addition to horror.
Definitely agree. My D2 Paladins loved to shout "Stay back, boy, This calls for divine intervention!". :D And if you like the Zombie/Humor combination, try out "Shaun of the Dead" by Edgar Wright (director of "Hot Fuzz"). The zombies appear only in the second half of the movie, but it's really worth watching. During the first half, when you expect the zombies to appear every minute, the leading character meets all kinds of people who look and act like zombies, but who only are tired/dumb/whatever. This is done very well! :lol:

Quote:After seeing so many zombie movies I really feel as though I am very, very prepared for a zombie invasion.
That really depends on the kind of zombies that invade.:PAre they capable of running, like in "28 Days", or are they only moving slowly like in Romero's classics? Do they only claw and bite, or can they wield weapons? (There is a movie with knife-throwing zombies...uh oh, not fun!)

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
Quote:Hi,
If you enjoyed 28 Days Later, you really should watch its successor 28 Weeks Later - I liked it even better than the original.
Definitely agree. My D2 Paladins loved to shout "Stay back, boy, This calls for divine intervention!". :D And if you like the Zombie/Humor combination, try out "Shaun of the Dead" by Edgar Wright (director of "Hot Fuzz"). The zombies appear only in the second half of the movie, but it's really worth watching. During the first half, when you expect the zombies to appear every minute, the leading character meets all kinds of people who look and act like zombies, but who only are tired/dumb/whatever. This is done very well! :lol:
That really depends on the kind of zombies that invade.:PAre they capable of running, like in "28 Days", or are they only moving slowly like in Romero's classics? Do they only claw and bite, or can they wield weapons? (There is a movie with knife-throwing zombies...uh oh, not fun!)

-Kylearan

Shaun of the Dead is truly a classic and a must see. One neither of you have recommended is the old black and white Night Of The Living Dead - a very scary zombie movie and a must see for all zombie affiliates.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin

>After seeing so many zombie movies I really feel as though I am very, very prepared for a zombie invasion. Bring that sh*t on. I am ready to pwn some undead. Is it weird that I have gone out of my way to find out where the armory is for the local police in case there is a zombie invasion? Shotguns and M-15s and grenades - oh my!

I'm a fan of this http://zombiehunters.org/forum/ myself. Stumbled on them a few years back. Here's one aspect of them I like. http://zombiehunters.org/who.php

By large they take a more realistic approach to the necropalypse scenario. (Ok, about as realistic as you can get with the walking undead scenario, but people always scoffs about these things anyway. UNTIL IT HAPPENS!!111)

I'm hooked on zombie flicks as well. And after watching a fair share of them, I must say 28 Days Later is hands down one of the best ever made, especially since it stayed true to the genre while introducing a more 'believable' plot line. Romero's movies will have a special place in my heart, including the modern iterations (except for Land of the Dead which is downright terrible).

Jackson's film is a masterpiece of the 'comical zombie film' genre, one that I believe holds its ground against contemporary films like Shawn of the Dead. Though admittedly, it's still hard for me to believe that Dead Alive was directed by the same guy who did the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

As for the on coming zombie invasion, it's just a matter of time. I'll meet you at Caiger Mall with a loaded shotgun in hand.

Cheers,

Munk
Hi,

Quote:[...]it's still hard for me to believe that Dead Alive was directed by the same guy who did the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Have you seen Jackson's first movie then, Bad Taste? At the time the Lord of the Rings movies were new, a double DVD with Braindead and Bad Taste was sold here with a sticker on it advertising it as "Made by the producer of the Lord of the Rings trilogy!". :blink:

I wonder what people thought when they bought and watched this DVD. :ph34r:

My favorite line from Bad Taste, when the main character wielding a chainsaw is about to jump on the boss alien from above: "Suck my spinning steel, sh!ithead!" - the perfect quote for a WW barbarian. I just love Jackson's early work. :D

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
Quote:Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead is probably my favorite zombie movie ever

Same here. It's not only my favourite zombie movie, it's also one of my favourite movies of all time.

If you like zombies and you like sheep, you might like Black Sheep.

The great thing about zombies movies is that even the really bad ones are a lot of fun to watch.
Have you seen Jackson's first movie then, Bad Taste? At the time the Lord of the Rings movies were new, a double DVD with Braindead and Bad Taste was sold here with a sticker on it advertising it as "Made by the producer of the Lord of the Rings trilogy!". :blink:

I wonder what people thought when they bought and watched this DVD. :ph34r:

My favorite line from Bad Taste, when the main character wielding a chainsaw is about to jump on the boss alien from above: "Suck my spinning steel, sh!ithead!" - the perfect quote for a WW barbarian. I just love Jackson's early work. :D

-Kylearan

I believe Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens were instrumental in LotR's creation, not just Peter. However I did like The Frighteners quite a bit, despite all the bad reviews.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:I don't know what it is, but for some reason I love zombie movies.
How about C.H.U.D. which even won some awards? I believe technically, since CHUD are undead they qualify as zombies.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I did see 28 Weeks Later but was pretty disappointed in it. I thought that 28 Days was far superior. The opening sequence of 28 Weeks is damn good however and really, really suspenseful.

Quote:And if you like the Zombie/Humor combination, try out "Shaun of the Dead" by Edgar Wright (director of "Hot Fuzz"). The zombies appear only in the second half of the movie, but it's really worth watching. During the first half, when you expect the zombies to appear every minute, the leading character meets all kinds of people who look and act like zombies, but who only are tired/dumb/whatever. This is done very well!

I've seen parts of Shaun of the Dead but couldn't really get into/saw it at bad times where I couldn't full pay attention to the movie. Everyone I talk to loved it though, so I'll definitely give it another chance.

Quote:That really depends on the kind of zombies that invade. tongue.gif Are they capable of running, like in "28 Days", or are they only moving slowly like in Romero's classics? Do they only claw and bite, or can they wield weapons? (There is a movie with knife-throwing zombies...uh oh, not fun!)

Any kind of zombie invasion:shuriken:

Quote:One neither of you have recommended is the old black and white Night Of The Living Dead - a very scary zombie movie and a must see for all zombie affiliates.

Yar, that is a good movie and I feel silly for not mentioning it. There are a couple unintentionally goofy moments, but the close ups of the zombies eating flesh in black and white are damn creepy.

Quote:I'm a fan of this http://zombiehunters.org/forum/ myself. Stumbled on them a few years back. Here's one aspect of them I like. http://zombiehunters.org/who.php

That is actually pretty damn hilarious. Gotta love the internet - giving the world ample opportunity to show that when provided a completely anonymous social context, deep down everyone is a weirdo.

Quote:How about C.H.U.D. which even won some awards? I believe technically, since CHUD are undead they qualify as zombies.

Hmm, don't think I've seen it. Would you recommend the film?
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Check out "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks. Awesome read.
See you in Town,
-Z
Have sword. Will decapitate.

Then again, why bother with the CNS issue? How grabby can a zombie be when you lop his arms off?

I don't watch zombie movies, but if they ever made some adaptation of Mark Frost's The List of Seven, there'll be an eye opener for ya'— zombi, as they were originally depicted. Bad guys take executed criminals, reanimate them into becoming unliving servants, and these gray-hooded chaps end up as footsoldiers into their shadowy little army: fast, lethal, and utterly poor conversationalists.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
One of my favorite Zombie movies is the 1966 Hammer flick The Plague of the Zombies. Needless to say, you have to like low budget Hammer/Corman type movies to enjoy it, but this one is actually on the well-produced side for a B-movie: The distinguished medical doctor, Sir James Forbes, goes to a Cornish tin mining village at the request of a former student to investigate a rash of mysterious deaths (bringing along his daughter, since that's what one does when investigating rashes of mysterious deaths). One of the little touches I like is that when Sir James eventually encounters his first zombie (coming out of a grave in the middle of the night, of course) he maintains his stiff upper lip and calmly slices its head off with a shovel. Yet later on when he's caught in a fire, he goes beserk with fear.

Also good, though neither a classic zombie movie nor a Hammer movie but morally both (strangely filmed in Spain as Pánico en el Transiberiano starring Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and Telly Savalas) is the 1973 movie Horror Express, involving the not-quite-dead fossil of a brain-draining ape on the trans-Siberian express.

Dr. Wells (Cushing): "Are you telling me that an ape that lived two million years ago got out of that crate, killed the baggage man and put him in there then locked everything up neat and tidy and got away?"

Saxton (Lee): "That's exactly what I'm saying!"
Quote:Check out "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks. Awesome read.

I'm waiting to see how the movie adaptation of 'World War Z' goes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z

This can go in either:

1) Development hell.

2) Be one of the best movie of all time.

3) Get butchered beyond recognition, and become a collosal turkey that will shut down the fairly recent
zombie fever. (But it's hard to kill something that's already dead, I hold some hope that it will just be in remission for a while.)
Quote:I don't know what it is, but for some reason I love zombie movies. Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead is probably my favorite zombie movie ever, but I really enjoyed 28 Days Later and the Resident Evil series (although I have not seen the third one). Obviously Romero's movies are the cornerstone, but I hated Land of the Dead with a passion - mostly since it contained two of my least favorite actors ever, Dennis Hopper and John Leguizamo.

Peter Jackson's Braindead is another great zombie movie if you're looking for humor in addition to horror.

After seeing so many zombie movies I really feel as though I am very, very prepared for a zombie invasion. Bring that sh*t on. I am ready to pwn some undead. Is it weird that I have gone out of my way to find out where the armory is for the local police in case there is a zombie invasion? Shotguns and M-15s and grenades - oh my!

I haven't watched Zynder's Dawn since my initial viewing a few years back, but I have been trying to find time to re-watch it as part of Zombie Movie Nights with friends. Likewise I've not yet gotten to Braindead or 28 Weeks Later, though I do own the former.

I think Romero's Dawn is pretty much my favorite at the moment (even the mall music is classic -- and so many people don't recognize it at the end of Robot Chicken!), with the original Night a close second. And one way I found to make Night even more terrifying is the option on my disc to watch a colorized version instead of the classic B&W. The colorized version of the house is just something that has to be experienced. It's painfully '60s. I'd be scared to be in that place even without zombies outside.

For odd and quirky zombie flicks, I'd recommend Dead & Breakfast and Undead. But if you want a true zombie movie, something faithful to the origins of zombi, you've gotta go with Weekend at Bernie's 2.

-Lem
Quote:...But if you want a true zombie movie, something faithful to the origins of zombi, you've gotta go with Weekend at Bernie's 2.
I find Universal Soldier to be the closest thing to a true 'zombi' flick if there ever was one, exploring what would happen when two of them come "alive" once more.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Quote:One of my favorite Zombie movies is the 1966 Hammer flick The Plague of the Zombies.

I know what I'm going to watching the next Zombie movie night. Thanks Thecla

Cheers,

Munk
I cannot believe that this movie has not been mentioned:

Zombi 2

Zombie vs Great White Shark nuff said.
Quote:Zombie vs Great White Shark nuff said.

I think my head just asploded.
--Mith

Jack London
I can't believe theres been a zombie movie thread without even a mention of Planet Terror! Yes it is new, but you can't tell me it doesn't evoke all kinds of 60s-70s B-movie camp... and its got bruce willis! and minibikes! and machine gun legs!

Yes, maybe it is part of a somewhat cheesy, grindhouse package. But it's still a damn fine popcorn/laugh and cheer your ass off movie.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"