This Thing Still On?
Still here? Obviously it's been a while (almost a year) since any updates have occurred on the front page. If anyone would like to take a stab at being a Lurker Lounge content administrator, please get in touch with me.

What makes a good content admin? Well, here's the Jeff Foxworthy edition:
  • If you like reading forums related to your favorite game multiple times a week, you might be a good content admin.<>
  • If you enjoy being the guy who informs your friends about in-depth game issues, strategy, and news, you might be a good content admin.<>
  • If you get a kick out of being "in the know" about current game affairs, you might be a good content admin.<>
  • If you have an analytical bent and get a kick out of reading/writing strategy just as much as playing, you might be a good content admin.<>
    [st]No HTML experience or knowledge is needed. You also get to put up fun screenshots in our Screenshot That's Somewhat Interesting section. What you will NOT get by being a content admin are:
    • Girls<>
    • Money<>
    • Respect<>
      [st]What you WILL get includes the adoration of your fellow gamers, and thanks from Bolty who will rake in all the ad revenue you generate, especially when he finally sells the site to IGE for $2 million. Oh, forget that last part.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:What you will NOT get by being a content admin are:
  • Girls<>
    [st]
And here I was all excited about content admin until you just had to throw in this part. What other reason did I have for doing it?! I'm out.
Intolerant monkey.
Quote:And here I was all excited about content admin until you just had to throw in this part. What other reason did I have for doing it?! I'm out.
GG is such a lucky d00d.
~Frag :whistling:
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Quote:GG is such a lucky d00d.
I'm so not going there.

I also forgot that you get a really cool LURKERLOUNGE.COM EMAIL ADDRESS! Be the envy of...well, nobody in particular. But it's COOL!

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:I'm so not going there.

Wuss. :P
Quote: What you will NOT get by being a content admin are:
  • Girls<>
    [st]
Girls seem to prefer bad boys, so to get them you'd have to be a malcontent admin.

-V
Improprietor
The Forsaken Inn
"All rooms 50% off all the time"
Quote:I also forgot that you get a really cool <strike>LURKERLOUNGE.COM EMAIL ADDRESS!</strike> spam magnet.
-Bolty
There, a truth in advertising moment arrives, courtesy of your friendly neighborhood Rogue-who-sucked-as-an-Admin.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Are you looking for a site admin in general, with duties including forum maintenance or updating static site content? Or are you looking primarily for someone to update the news post a few times a week?

Also, are you looking for one primary admin, or maybe several people to add news posts?
Quote:Are you looking for a site admin in general, with duties including forum maintenance or updating static site content? Or are you looking primarily for someone to update the news post a few times a week?
Good questions. I should clarify that I'm looking for content admins. That goes from news posts to static content to site layout (including the menus and such) for World of Warcraft. I handle the technical affairs, the "oh my god the site is down" stuff, security, etc. Otherwise I pretty much stay out of your way. If you want something installed on the site, I evaluate it, make sure it's not filled with security holes, and get it done. But it would be up to you to fill it with content/make it useful.

Forum Administration can come with this - you could be a moderator if you like - simply because it makes a bit of sense for someone who's controlling the content of the site to also control its forums. However, if you don't want to be bothered with that (and you're nuts if you really want to), no biggie.

Quote:Also, are you looking for one primary admin, or maybe several people to add news posts?
I'm looking for anyone with a general interest level. Could be one person, could be multiple. At one time, this site was the "Elitist Jerks" of Diablo II. It could be again, actually, if someone dedicated enough stepped up to the plate to make the site a haven for intelligent strategy/tactics discussion. I mean, you look around the 'Net, and you have WoW sites that:

1) Cater to general WoW interests, typically casual-focused (WoWInsider)
2) Are bigtime into stats, data mining, and getting the scoop on upcoming changes (MMO Champion)
3) Are vast databases of WoW spell and item information (Thottbot, WoWHead)
4) Are huge mod depositories (Curse, WoWInterface, WoWAce)

All those sites are great for their focus and goals. There's no point in reinventing what they do because you can't beat them at it anyway. All those are sites that are in it for the money, have a "paid" staff (sometimes around-the-clock, too), and the Lurker Lounge is at heart a hobbyist website, run and operated by people for the love of it.

There's no website out there that you could read multiple times a week and find out about the latest game theorycrafting, discoveries of game mechanics, analysis of how upcoming changes will affect said mechanics, etc. Sure, that can all be grabbed from forums in various places, but there's no editor to say "This is the good stuff you shouldn't miss." A content admin doesn't have to actually write any of this stuff. They just have to LINK to it...just as I did for Diablo/Diablo 2. I never actually did very much; I think my warrior guide from Diablo 1 was the only real piece of strategy I ever wrote. I just linked to and collected the stuff everyone else did, making sure to give credit of course. The Lurker Lounge started, after all, as a site pointing out good Diablo Strategy Forum posts to read. There was no forum at all at first.

Think of it as being the editor of a Reader's Digest to Hardcore WoW Strategy, and you have the mindset I'm looking for. That's what brought people here long ago, and it developed into a great atmosphere. What happens is that people start learning of the site, hearing about this place to go to read collated information about in-depth play. They make a forum account. They start to hang out. Next thing you know, the Lounge is getting Slashdotted, and the server dies in a fire. Blizzard employees are emailing you on a regular basis to get information. Blizzard employees post on your forums (sometimes in disguise). You get free stuff and access to betas. But you still don't get girls. :)

MongoJerry was a fantastic writer, able to develop long and interesting stories about his adventures in Diablo and World of Warcraft. You don't need to do that, but of course nobody would stop you if you did.

-Bolty
Hey look, I scared people off. :)

-Bolty
Quote:Hey look, I scared people off. :)

-Bolty

Ho ho, that's because the Munchkins don't know if you're a good witch or a bad witch! Witch are you?

-Glinda
Quote:Hey look, I scared people off. :)

-Bolty

6 months ago I might have actually considered it but I don't play WoW anymore, I don't play D2 anymore, and I don't play D1 anymore. I also don't read about any of them anymore either.

Besides if I can't get chicks for Treesh by taking the job (or making her take it) what's the point. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
The idea of a consolidated strategy/mechanics link list is intriguing, but it's a pretty big job especially when you consider the depth that some people will go to in order to find out how things work. Just keeping up with theorycrafting for one class is pretty much a full-time job.:)

I don't know how it would work, but maybe have a few people who are really REALLY into their classes do updates on current theorycrafting for that class? For example, if there's some new mechanics discovery or maybe an obscure yet crazy awesome new talent build with some sort of wacky synergy that shows up buried in a class thread on Elitist Jerks, chances are that just one person wouldn't discover that until it was pretty much public knowlege. A few people with lots of experience in a particular class would know about it though. This would also spread the load lighter. Admittedly, it would spread the girls thinner too...
Quote:A few people with lots of experience in a particular class would know about it though. This would also spread the load lighter. Admittedly, it would spread the girls thinner too...
What math are you using? By my count 0/9 = 0. :lol:

I would possibly be interested in this, but...as a long-time *forum* lurker I don't have really a "face" around here, and far less experience with the game than everyone else (I'll be hitting 70 for the first time probably within the next week). I see those as relatively large obstacles, haha.
Oh, if you haven't yet, you might want to check the front page. I expect it'll get changed more often from now on. :)

-Bolty