"At gold limit"
WOW Insider

214,748 gold, 36 silver, 48 copper. This is the maximum size of your wallet in World of Warcraft.

For me this is just another number now. Four months ago I'd probably fainted... B)

And yep, it's a power-of-two.

-Arnulf
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
What I wonder is if the Guild Banks are also limited to that number. I would hope they'd make it larger capacity but we will shortly see.
Currently enjoying liberating the land of Sanctuary

[Image: arethor.jpg]
Stormrage - US (Inactive)
Quote:WOW Insider

214,748 gold, 36 silver, 48 copper. This is the maximum size of your wallet in World of Warcraft.

For me this is just another number now. Four months ago I'd probably fainted... B)

-Arnulf

So, gold is stored as a 32 bit number (2^31 = above). Anyone having a Diabloesqe Durability moment? :whistling:
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Pssht, I've barely managed to scrape together 2.3k gold. I'll never have an epic flying mount at this rate.

Gold limits are for the motivated and the Chinese, and I am neither.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:214,748 gold, 36 silver, 48 copper. This is the maximum size of your wallet in World of Warcraft.

This reminds me of the guild that was complaining that it wanted to move servers, but would end up losing like 100k gold if they did because even if they gave every member account the maximum transfer amount of gold, they couldn't transfer all their funds.

Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
hmmm - how can lochnar spend one more copper than he has???:whistling:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:This reminds me of the guild that was complaining that it wanted to move servers, but would end up losing like 100k gold if they did because even if they gave every member account the maximum transfer amount of gold, they couldn't transfer all their funds.
Don't quote me, but I think I read somewhere that if you transfer servers, you can only take 5k gold with you. I think Blizzard's rationale for this is that long-time players transferring onto a new server with huge gobs of gold could then literally dominate the server's entire economy. Imagine someone appearing with 100,000 gold on a newish server - they could own the entire auction house and force everyone to pay insane prices for anything.

Hardcore no-life players easily have over 20,000 gold, so a hardcore raiding guild could indeed have a problem transfering all that gold over...I suppose they could buy expensive BoE epics from the AH and then resell them on the new server, right? Might take a loss doing that, especially if moving to a low-pop server, but it's better than nothing.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:What I wonder is if the Guild Banks are also limited to that number. I would hope they'd make it larger capacity but we will shortly see.

I expect that the guild banks are at the same limit. That value is as Lissa listed a signed 32 bit number (Long DWORD). The only way they can make it larger, which is a possibility, is to use an unsigned Long DWORD to store the value.

A signed 32 bit number uses the first bit for the sign and leaves 31 bits for value. 2^31 = 2147483648 =214,748 gold, 36 silver, 48 copper.
An unsigned 32 bit value would allow 2^32 = 4294967296 = 429,496 gold, 72 silver, 96 copper.

But this would usually require quite bit of checks each time that money is added to that value to avoid possible wraparound of the value. For example if it was an usigned storage amount, then if you added 3 copper to 429,496 gold, 72 silver, 96 copper; the resulting amount of money would end up being 2 copper total. Those types of checks to avoid that condition can be a lot more involved than the types of checks that are needed witht the current system; a potentinally sever performance hit if this is accessed as frequently as players are typically looting bodies on a server.
Quote:Hardcore no-life players easily have over 20,000 gold
Someone in my guild has over 50k. Proof JC is the thing to be if you want to make money. He made 10k the weekend season 3 came out alone. We laugh when he dies in raids because he can afford to do it many many many many times. :lol:
Quote:Someone in my guild has over 50k. Proof JC is the thing to be if you want to make money. He made 10k the weekend season 3 came out alone. We laugh when he dies in raids because he can afford to do it many many many many times. :lol:

How is it even feasible to JC for profit? I see gem cuts get 5g, or 10g tips (For metas) at most... And people aren't looking for them *that* often.
Quote:How is it even feasible to JC for profit? I see gem cuts get 5g, or 10g tips (For metas) at most... And people aren't looking for them *that* often.
Because that guy sold everyone else all the jewels they need first.

Duh:P
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:How is it even feasible to JC for profit? I see gem cuts get 5g, or 10g tips (For metas) at most... And people aren't looking for them *that* often.

My understanding is (I don't have a JC) that you make the most money from prospecting ore & selling the results.
Rare metagems make money, but yeah, most of the money through JC comes from prospecting ore. The problem is -- you have to have the ore first, and getting worthwhile gems is almost hit-and-miss. The cheaper you can get the ore, the bigger the profit you make. Getting the ore yourself is of course also an option -- but with the amount we're talking, it's usually easier to let other people do it, and buy it from them -- especially if you have 3-4 people do it, and mail you the ore COD; both sides benefit from skipping the AH due to the fees.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:Don't quote me, but I think I read somewhere that if you transfer servers, you can only take 5k gold with you. I think Blizzard's rationale for this is that long-time players transferring onto a new server with huge gobs of gold could then literally dominate the server's entire economy. Imagine someone appearing with 100,000 gold on a newish server - they could own the entire auction house and force everyone to pay insane prices for anything.

Hardcore no-life players easily have over 20,000 gold, so a hardcore raiding guild could indeed have a problem transfering all that gold over...I suppose they could buy expensive BoE epics from the AH and then resell them on the new server, right? Might take a loss doing that, especially if moving to a low-pop server, but it's better than nothing.

-Bolty

The limit is 10kg per character at level 70, so really all the limit does is ensure people will grab one extra mule character (who has to be high level) to move that gold over and dominate said economy.

And hey... I've got over 20k and have a life, dammit! :ph34r:
See you in Town,
-Z
Quote:The limit is 10kg per character at level 70, so really all the limit does is ensure people will grab one extra mule character (who has to be high level) to move that gold over and dominate said economy.

And hey... I've got over 20k and have a life, dammit! :ph34r:

You play WoW and have several characters, that kinda negates that last line... :whistling:
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Guild banks don't have the same gold cap
[Image: gbank863.jpg]

Quote:Guild banks don't have the same gold cap
[Image: gbank863.jpg]

If they don't store copper, I bet they have the exact same 32 bit number, just two more decimal places for gold. Instead of being limited at 214,748g 36s and 48c it's probably 21,474,836g and 48s.

Quote:If they don't store copper, I bet they have the exact same 32 bit number, just two more decimal places for gold. Instead of being limited at 214,748g 36s and 48c it's probably 21,474,836g and 48s.

Oh good, so our guild bank can continue to grow a little. Makes sense too the way you explained it.