The official "What did you get for Christmas?" thread
My wife and I didn't exchange much in the way of gifts. We usually decide to spoil the youngling.

She did, however, buy me a giant can of beer. I've already posted it in the other Christmas thread, but one can never post too many images of giant beers:
[Image: heinbm5.jpg]

I also got my expected gifts of socks, underwear, and a new toothbrush. It just ain't Christmas without those things.

This year I decided to splurge and buy myself a few gifts. Tomorrow is Boxing Day in Canada, which is roughly equivalent to Black Friday in the US. Every major retailer puts tons of stuff on sale for ridiculous prices.

Working retail myself, I won't be caught dead in a store on Boxing Day so I decided to shop online. Most online stores started Christmas Eve, which was perfect for me.

I bought a new video card. XFX GeForce 7900GS XT for $69.99 after rebate. It's time to put the trusty old 7600GS to rest.

[Image: xfxww2.jpg]

I also bought a 2-pack of 2GB SD memory cards for $25. I needed a new one with at least 2 GB capacity, so a two-fer was great. One goes in the memory card reader to stream Divx/Xvid to my TV, and one goes in the Wii for future use.
Mmm, beer. Quite the kingly gift.

Here goes...

A calender (Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band themed), another calender (Georgia Tech football themed), battery charger for my camera, drill bits (Hurrah! My fraternity house's toolroom, while extensive, has the worst drill bits on the planet), a Slinky (they never get old, seriously), Pirates of the Caribbean III, Harry Potter III, a shirt that will probably be too big and a check for the amount of $100. Pretty good haul, I gotta say.

In the category of "hey, that's really not cool", was the painter's tape... while useful, it served as a reminder to all the painting I have upcoming as a friend and I both move into new rooms at our house up at school...:(
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
I forgot to include the coolest gift!

My in-laws bought us a Kodak digital picture frame. The really cool thing about it is that it has built-in wifi. It has 256MB of onboard memory, a USB cable, and accepts every kind of memory card, but it's really cool to be able to view whatever pictures are on my connected PCs.

When I connect via wifi, I can see that a couple of my neighbours have unsecured routers. I am really tempted to see what pictures they might have on their computers:shuriken:
Quote:When I connect via wifi, I can see that a couple of my neighbours have unsecured routers. I am really tempted to see what pictures they might have on their computers:shuriken:
Speaking from personal experience, you may regret exploring people's picture folder. It took a long time for those images of my friend's parent's extra-curricular activities to fade.

:(
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Two new RC aircraft to assemble. I took one out into the snow today. At least the landings were soft and fluffy. Although I spent most of the day completing the assembly of a 1400 plus Lego castle collection. Curses to you Santa, you are an evil man.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Games, Movies, Music - just what I wanted;)

Nintendo DS Lite, with a FFXII: Revenant Wings copy to go with it. Heavenly Sword, Mass Effect. Guess I'll be bumming the roommate's Xbox360 for Mass Effect.

The Departed, Identity, Phonebooth, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within for Blu-Ray. Perfect Blue anime regular DVD.

And a bunch of music much of you will hate;) CDs from Disturbed, Finger Eleven, 311, and Socialburn.

I'll have to finish off the games collections by buying some Uncharted and The Witcher myself, though that gets put off until I finish what I have.

We played Rock Band (again, roommate's copy) on Christmas, and man are the drums fun. I had never played one of those games before. Best part was him going "Don't be surprised if you fail, I did my first time on drums" - followed by me getting a 92% on my first try, admittedly on easy.

Then watching my step-dad fail out in horrible fashion:)
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
We got ourselves a Wii this year.:) We're hoping it will finally get our (almost 10-year-old!) daughter to play some games, and so far, it's working. You see, she thinks that video games are boring things that old people do, since we've both been playing all her life. So, she hasn't shown the slightest interest in playing herself.

But, she likes making miis, is better than us at bowling, and shows it to her friends when they come over. So, there's hope yet.:)

In the mean time, Mr. Gris and I have been playing Super Mario and Mario Kart64. We spent our first summer together playing Mario Kart when it came out, so that's been fun.:) One of these days, we'll crack open the Mario Galaxy box, but we haven't needed to just yet.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Quote:We got ourselves a Wii this year.:)

Yay! Wiis are fun :wub:

Myself, my son, and my extended family and friends all clamour around the Wii. Everyone wants a turn. I've had mine since last Christmas. The crazy thing is that my wife has not even so much as picked up a Wii remote. It's been over a year and my wife shows no interest whatsoever in playing the Wii. She'll sit and watch my son punch the crap out of me in Wii boxing, but she has no interest in trying it out herself :huh:
It's not every day that you can feel sad that your wife doesn't want to punch the crap out of you. :whistling:
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
I think I can take her :angry:
I also got some CDs that people would hate. :) Reel Big Fish and Death Cab for Cutie.

In other things, I picked up a set of speakers for my second computer, a bunch of new running clothes (good since I don't really have much for colder weather and it's really cold here, now), and some other random things like clothes and a filing cabinet.

However, I didn't get a case for my phone, so I'll be buying one of those soon. :)
-TheDragoon
I got a new bathrobe.

My daughter surprised me with a guitar. (Now, I need to play with son, who is taking lessons.)

I cooked a turkey on the grill (indirect heat) and it turned out beautifully. It is just as well.

I am now sick as a dog, and need the turkey soup, which I made the day after from the bones, etc.

Mnnnnnnn, turkey soup.

I hate quitting smoking, again.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Mainly, I got the pleasure of having my family all together for a couple of days. :wub:

My family gave me Michael Palin travelogues - Around the World in 80 Days, Sahara and Himalaya. :wub: They all know that I would leave them in a heartbeat, if Michael showed up on my doorstep and asked me to leave with him, but they are practical folk who reckon that this is a low risk. ;)

Guitar Hero, Legends of Rock came into the house too, and has been the source of much merriment. :D

Son the tower crane operator apprentice got a Lego™ tower crane, because he said he needed one for his desk, to compete in a friendly way with his employer who has a collection of 'serious' model cranes. :lol:

The rest of my family scattered to varying destinations. The one miracle of this was that the 80 year old father in law and the 53 year old brother in law who went on their first vacation together ever managed to return from the cruise with pleasant stories to tell about each other. :blink:
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Quote:You see, she thinks that video games are boring things that old people do, since we've both been playing all her life.

:blink: Say it ain't so!

As for getting a Wii, congrats. Careful with Galaxy, it'll take up what little non-video game playing time you may have left:)

Cheers,

Munk
My mother surprised me with a pair of kittens for christmas. Brother and sister from the same litter, three months old and jet black. I love 'em to death, even when Loki insists on waking me up at 2 in the morning with his bass rumble of a purr.

I was worried about Hera for a while, she's real small (possibly the runt of the litter?) but she's adjusting well, and gets into everything. I left my dresser drawer open earlier and she climbed in, apparently just to see what was inside. :wub:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Quote:We got ourselves a Wii this year.:) We're hoping it will finally get our (almost 10-year-old!) daughter to play some games, and so far, it's working. You see, she thinks that video games are boring things that old people do, since we've both been playing all her life. So, she hasn't shown the slightest interest in playing herself.

So that is how you make kids do useful stuff like sports and homework instead of wasting their time playing computer games.
Mind if I quote you the next time my wife is complaining about me playing games?.......well maybe I should wait for when we actually have kids....
Alaska Airlines lost my luggage on my business trip, this week, so most of my new clothes are now gone. :( I really hope they find the luggage by Friday or I'll just have to make a claim for it and go re-buy everything.
-TheDragoon
Quote:My mother surprised me with a pair of kittens for christmas. Brother and sister from the same litter, three months old and jet black. I love 'em to death, even when Loki insists on waking me up at 2 in the morning with his bass rumble of a purr.

I was worried about Hera for a while, she's real small (possibly the runt of the litter?) but she's adjusting well, and gets into everything. I left my dresser drawer open earlier and she climbed in, apparently just to see what was inside. :wub:

Wow, my girlfriend also has a black male cat named Loki. :blink:

Who knew it was so popular?;)

Cheers,

Munk
Quote:Wow, my girlfriend also has a black male cat named Loki. :blink:

Who knew it was so popular?;)

Cheers,

Munk

It's just people agreeing that cats are evil, so they name them after eeeeevul things.
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
Quote:It's just people agreeing that cats are evil, so they name them after eeeeevul things.

Don't let Loki hear you say that, or he'll purr you to death. :shuriken:

My dad also sent me a $40 Wal-Mart gift card for Christmas, and I finally used it the other day. Picked up the Oblivion GOTY package and am enjoying being a kleptomaniacal dark elf assassin. I stole all of the Legion armor out of the South Tower while I was there getting the tax records for the Gray Fox, hope nobody checks the cabinet in my shack before I fence it all. :wacko:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]