The 2.4 mana regen model for "other" classes
Paladins:

1) Some priests / druids may get more regen from Kings than Imp. BoW... Whether this is true depends on their buffed Int & Spi.

Pretty much all of them probably should prefer Kings because Stamina is going to generally be more useful than a small amount of mana regen considering how much was gained by decently geared priests / druids in 2.4. Yes, this statement is absolutely opinion. I like stam in raids, on everyone.

Most raids this isn't an issue, with enough pallies for Wisdom + Kings + Salv on healers, but in the event that you are choosing between Kings and Wisdom on a priest or druid, I'd generally consider Kings better even if they are not at the point where regen will be the same as with Wisdom.

-----------------

Shaman and Paladin healers:

You should feel justified in asking for innervates. If Priests and Druids need their innervates anywhere before Sunwell, either the healing assignments aren't right or they aren't geared properly for the content. (or it's a CoH gimmick fight and the priests are supposed to be spamming CoH all fight and you are supposed to give Innervates to Priests).

looking at the value of Innervate on a class like this...
Consider a raiding paladin (base spirit 83) will have Divine Spirit as well (+50 spirit) and Blessing of Kings (146 spirit).

Now consider small changes to gearing in anticipation for getting an innervate:
- Weapon swap with + SPI enchant. This is a staple priest swap since Molten Core. Now Priests will almost never get innervates, and when they do, they need an INT weapon swap to get more out of an innervate because it's almost certain to completely fill their mana pool, so SPI adds nothing for them on an innervate :wacko:
- Bangle of Endless Blessings a decent regen trinket by itself, the proc is incredibly useful for use with innervate.

Base MP5 also plays a role. I am going to assume a raid buffed flat MP5 value of 200 MP5, which is probably slightly low, it doesn't affect the overall conclusion really.

The following table shows innervate mana amounts with base spirit levels (base raid buffed, so I am assuming +50 from Divine Spirit and Blessing of Kings, humans will see slightly more than this due to 'The Human Spirit' racial.) and what happens with additional spirit on a weapon swap (+75, which is Nightstaff of the Everliving and a +20 spirit enchant) and/or use of the Bangle to coincide with innervate.

Code:
                 Base   75 on staff    bangle    bangle+staff
INT     Mana   146 SPI   221 SPI      276 SPI     351 SPI

500    10173    7045      8609         9756       11320
600    11673    7336      9049        10306       12019
700    13173    7603      9454        10811       12662
800    14673    7852      9830        11281       13260
                 ^^^^ Mana for a full innervate ^^^^
                          1564         2711        3128*
                          1713         2970        4337*
                          1851         3208        5059
                          1979         3429        5408
                    ^^^^ Mana gained from SPI swap ^^^^
* = hit 100% mana so artificially low, that is the number indicates never exceeding max mana and assumes an innervate from zero mana

Edit: I screwed up the base spirit, it should have another ~20 SPI for Mark of the Wild, I'll fix it later.
It doesn't actually affect the delta mana, only the base gets a little extra regen.

Conclusions:
1) spirit needed to fill your mana bar completely increases with intellect.
2) The mana gained during innervate is linear with additional spirit until you have enough to max out your mana.
3) A weapon swap, which should have little impact on gear, can yield decent amounts of mana (slightly less than an extra potion worth)
4) Bangle of Endless Blessings + spirit weapon swap will generally give 100% mana or very close to it if used to coincide with an innervate.

-------------------

Raid Leaders:

You should probably work with your healing druids, shaman and paladins to help understand how these mechanics change the usage of innervate. Your priests shouldn't be running out of mana if they are geared for spirit, except for the occasional CoH spam fight, which they can get innervates for anyway since everyone knows these fights are CoH spam fights (Gurtogg anyone?).

But your Druids need to be aware that an innervate on a shaman or Paladin is a pretty significant amount of mana. Even without a weapon swap it's 7k mana for a pally with no spirit (Shaman should be right in the same ballpark).

---------------------

Healers in general

Mana conservation is much less a concern. Priests and Druids got huge buffs to MP5. Even though Pallies and Shaman aren't seeing much difference in their current MP5 values (maybe even a slight decrease?), they are now ideal targets for Innervate, which should mean that at least a couple of them have more mana available.

As a priest, I am adapting to having more mana available. I am making less use of Greater Heal Rank 1 (my mana conservation heal for raid healing) and using more Flash Heal Rank 7 (heals for about the same amount as GHeal Rank 1 for more mana, but in 1.5 seconds instead of 2.5 seconds). I am trying to use the mana I have so that the raid in general has more "verticality" and less lying dead on the floor. It's a change I'm still getting used to.

What this means for me also is that I'm expecting my % overhealing to increase. I am essentially bumping up my insurance coverage to the next level, or buying larger premiums, whatever analogy you want to use. I see %overheal as a less useful stat for healer evaluation as we enter the realm of virtually unlimited healer mana.

---------------------

Low Intellect & Spirit DPS classes with mana (Enh. Shaman, Ret Pally, maybe some Hunters):

These classes see some decrease in MP5 compared to previous patch. In combat MP5 is obviously unaffected, but out of combat MP5 is decreased compared to 2.3x when soloing. However, each of these classes also sees an increase after receiving simple raid buffs, compared with previous patch and these same raid buffs (Divine Spirit + Mark of the Wild + Arcane Intellect is generally enough to make them have positive MP5 delta compared with last patch.)

---------------------

Feel free to add insight to what the 2.4 mana regeneration model changes. Please keep discussion in this thread general and not specific to classes that have talents that make Spirit especially useful (Meditation / Intensity / Arcane Meditation, for example)
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Sometimes our shadow priests ask for Innervates, and they sometimes get them if healers are okay for mana. Theory-wise it seems justified, because shadow priests with mana generate mana for the rest of the party while OOM shadow priests don't.

I think the regen changes will affect how classes are allocated to shadow priest groups, with priority being given to paladins, shaman and DPS classes except for particular intensive fights.

Current fights where I would want a shadow priest: Warlord Naj'entus, Gurtogg Bloodboil, Illidan (only really for Flames of Azzinoth and the Demon Phases), Kalecgos.

I do everything I can to try to avoid asking for Innervates - in my experience when I really need one it's never available. Most of my innervates have come after getting battle rezzes. With the new regen model, I think the typical Innervate would probably fill my mana pool several times over with the cap being the size of your mana pool in the first place. Makes me wonder whether the class with the largest mana pool would benefit the most from Innervate.

Pallies can't use staves.

That leaves them with Light's Justice as their best spirt weapon swap weapon to get the +20 spirit on for a total of 40. You could drop down to Dathrohan's Ceremonial Hammer from heroic OHB as well for 18 spirit.

If you wanted to keep a shield on you would pair it with the old Garret's Family Crest with it's 17 + 9 more for 26 (I think 9 spi is the biggest spi shield chant) spirit or spend some badges on [ulr=http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33325]Voodoo Shaker[/url] to swap in for 25 spirit from an offhand item. If you ahve access to Hyjal drops you can get Scepter of Purification for that off hand as well.

But it looks like 66 spirit is the best a paladin can do on a weapon swap, which is slightly better than the Etherium Life staff WITHOUT a chant and slightly worse than a Nightstaff of the Everliving WITH the chant. But I could be incorrect on some of the enchants.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:But it looks like 66 spirit is the best a paladin can do on a weapon swap, which is slightly better than the Etherium Life staff WITHOUT a chant and slightly worse than a Nightstaff of the Everliving WITH the chant. But I could be incorrect on some of the enchants.

Yeah I'm quoting myself but it's been a few hours since I posted.

I wonder how much spirit you can get on a green "of spirit" item? That might be the way to go for pallies (and possible shaman since they could get 29 spirit from chants and not just 20). But I'm not sure where to find data on that. I'll have to poke around for it.

Looks like 24 on a weapon and 31 on a shield if you get a L70 of spirit. So a fully chanted pally wearing green "of spirit" looks like they could hit 84 spirit but have no other stats on those items. But if the idea is a swap for innervate that would also be the best spirit swap in for a shaman as the best chanted 2 hander will only get you to 82.
---
Quote:Looks like 24 on a weapon and 31 on a shield if you get a L70 of spirit. So a fully chanted pally wearing green "of spirit" looks like they could hit 84 spirit but have no other stats on those items. But if the idea is a swap for innervate that would also be the best spirit swap in for a shaman as the best chanted 2 hander will only get you to 82.

It would have +179 heal if he got the right item:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=25323

pretty sure only the 1H maces have the +heal:
http://www.wowhead.com/?items=2.4&filter=q...nrl=68;maxrl=70

Some are for breakin' people and some are for fixin' 'em.

I didn't realize pallies couldn't use staves, figured they just didn't because it didn't make sense.

It's okay that a weapon swap for innervate doesn't have mass stats, it's for 20 seconds of a 10 minute fight.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:It would have +179 heal if he got the right item:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=25323

pretty sure only the 1H maces have the +heal:
http://www.wowhead.com/?items=2.4&filter=q...nrl=68;maxrl=70

Some are for breakin' people and some are for fixin' 'em.

I didn't realize pallies couldn't use staves, figured they just didn't because it didn't make sense.

It's okay that a weapon swap for innervate doesn't have mass stats, it's for 20 seconds of a 10 minute fight.

Ah didn't think about the stuff that has some fixed and some random stats. But yeah I don't think it's a big deal either. Just got curious about it. And yeah I think pallies are the only class in the game that can't uses staves but it's still interesting that it would work better for a shaman. I wonder if there is a shield out there that could get the 31 spirit and something else as well.

Though it feels a bit like old school AQ40 where you farmed green nature resist crap since it was better than blue and purple stuff for what you wanted it for. Having to tote some green crap around just feels wrong even it it does mean a nicer kick from an innervate. :)
---
Even in 2.3, I found that mana was a relatively minor issue for a well geared shaman. With about 140 unbuffed mp5 and all the usual shaman tricks I didn’t have problems most fights. For the really mana intensive fights, an alchemist stone and chain chugging potions usually solved all my problems. I really only ran out when things went wrong and fights lasted far longer than they should have.

If I can get 7k mana from an innervate without any spirit on my gear, that’s awesome, especially since I do have about 40 odd sprit on my gear I can’t get rid of. I honestly can’t see myself anticipating the innervate, switching weapons, then switching back once it’s over. The circumstances where that would be worth the effort are too rare. I didn’t get to do much healing back at level 60, but it seems to me that the game has changed. Not running out of mana is very low on my list of priorities, because it pretty much takes care of itself. Water shield, mana stream, potions, mana tide, shadow priests, innervates; there are just too many ways to get mana back for it to be a big issue to me.