The Canadian Press v. Sean Taylor
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/AL...wxu1thIhgnPNr4g

Sean Taylor was shot early this morning. Who dun it? Nobody knows yet. Why, nobody knows. However, thanks to the above article we all now know that Mr. Taylor probably deserved it, or at least that is what the author wants you to think.

Why did The Canadian Press find it important that Sean Taylor's entire criminal record should be brought up in an article breaking news about his possible murder? If Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer was shot and killed do you think The Canadian Press would report his arrest record, or would they praise him for his wonderful career as a football player with the NFL? If Senator Ted Kennedy was shot on the way to capitol hill, would The Canadian Press feel a need to taint the news with his awful Chappaquiddick accident? I doubt it. For some reason though, Sean Taylor's breaking news is not held to the same standard.

Over half of the article was in reference to Mr. Taylor's criminal record. His criminal record is in no way important at this time. If he was John Gotti I could understand it. It's disgusting that during his time of crisis, whether self inflicted or not(no one knows yet), that The Canadian Press jumps on the chance to bash him, creating an image of a man who probably put himself in the situation. They treated the article as if it was a report on a criminal rather than a football player in his time of need. I hope Sean survives, and his family gets all the support they need.

PS: I'm don't watch a lot of football, nor am i a Redskins fan(yet). I just couldn't believe how twisted this article was.
Do you happen to have a copy of the article you read? I'm fairly certain the article you're referencing was pulled, as the one that showed up when I clicked the link had perhaps 1/10 about his record, and not in a terribly disdaining light.

It happens... usually gets corrected; on the internet it's alot easier to do damage control than in print!:)
Yeah, I didn't really see where the article implied in any way that he "deserved" it.

Someone clearly wanted Sean Taylor dead. This wasn't any random robbery as police officials seem to be indicating at the moment. How is it "just a coincidence" that a week prior someone broke in a left a knife on his pillow? What robber busts open the door and immediately starts blasting at people? In the next couple weeks I expect it to surface that Taylor was involved in some shady dealings - he was always a thug at both The U and at Washington. No, I'm not implying that he deserved it, don't jump all over me... just saying that he clearly rubbed someone the wrong way the past couple years.

I remember Sean Taylor at The U. He was a standout player on one of the sickest college football teams in history.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:he was always a thug at both The U and at Washington.

Pretty much everyone who knew him would argue with that "always" - they all claim he turned his life around after his daughter was born. Antrel Rolle believes he was targeted because he turned his life around. Why he didn't move out of that state, I don't know. He was advised to.

When I first heard, I steadied myself against the "they must find this guy and deal with it harshly!" lines, because ever murderer should be dealt with - not just the ones we hear about. But if it's true this was premeditated because Sean Taylor was cleaning up his life, I might change my mind.

As a final note, the AP article on SI.com was very similar when it first came out. Stupid space-filling when not enough was known, in a rush to get the story out.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
And here I was getting all worked up about what I thought was you broad stroking all canadian press in one harsh light. Heh, good thing I clicked on the link.

Gogo sensationalizing bad new with a spin. Bleh.
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee
Quote:Pretty much everyone who knew him would argue with that "always" - they all claim he turned his life around after his daughter was born. Antrel Rolle believes he was targeted because he turned his life around. Why he didn't move out of that state, I don't know. He was advised to.

When I first heard, I steadied myself against the "they must find this guy and deal with it harshly!" lines, because ever murderer should be dealt with - not just the ones we hear about. But if it's true this was premeditated because Sean Taylor was cleaning up his life, I might change my mind.

As a final note, the AP article on SI.com was very similar when it first came out. Stupid space-filling when not enough was known, in a rush to get the story out.
Interesting study in people who have trouble using their heads. Taylor was a Redskin, but couldn't be bothered, when he "wanted to turn his life around" to move to DC. No, he had to stay in Miami, even though, according to Rolle, he was in fear for his life due to past associations.

Sure, it's expensive up there in the DC area, but a first round draft pick makes the money needed to live in a decent neighborhood.

His dad was a Miami cop. Something tells me the cops in Miami are going to take this one personally.

Newsweek had an article with a similar focus to the Canadian piece, but with the question more directly asked: why is his gangsta past being emphasized, when he grew up sorta middle class, the son of a cop?

The article then went on to discuss the apologetics for gangsta lifestyle running rampant through the black community, and even took a shot at Denzel Washington's playing a gangster boss in his latest film, American Gangster.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:...
but with the question more directly asked: why is his gangsta past being emphasized, when he grew up sorta middle class, the son of a cop? ....

The article then went on to discuss the apologetics for gangsta lifestyle running rampant through the black community, and even took a shot at Denzel Washington's playing a gangster boss in his latest film, American Gangster.
The title of one of the articles was "Cards' Rolle: Slain NFL star had many enemies" so the article provided evidence that the Star had many enemies that were out to get him. Part of that evidence was his criminal record with pointed to the Star's association with criminal who are known to take the law into their own hands, or simply take revenge when they want to. Since criminal cannot resort to the law to settle their disputes, they go directly to violence for dispute settlement.

Edit: removed spam link. -Bolty