Mass Effect 2
I recently re-bought Mass Effect (for my PC this time, since I no longer have a 360) and have been playing through again to get ready for the sequel, which is shaping up to be pretty darn nice. I thought the original was great, it was just a little clunky where the RPG systems and third-person shooter combat converged. But based on gameplay videos of the second installment, this has been rectified.

Here's the E3 preview video. Sadly they've continued to use the male Shepard in all the promo stuff, even though Jennifer Hale's voice is sooo much better.

If you haven't played ME, that video is a bit 'off', and doesn't really capture the game's feel (it's not really about heavy metal in space) but I guess BioWare figures Mass Effect fans will be buying the sequel anyway, so they might as well try marketing for a wider audience (like they did with Dragon Age).

In any case, my favorite little sister sidekick, Tali, is back and still kicking butt hardcore. I can't wait for January 26th. 3 days after my birthday, too. B)

I know I can't be the only lover of space opera here. :wub:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
There were serious flaws in the first Mass Effect, for sure. Combat was less "action" and more "take cover and wait for the enemy to be stupid," and on the higher difficulties, you were punished for even the smallest hint of boldness or initiative with instant death. The plot and characters had a genericky flavour that was never tough to swallow, but had a bland after-taste sometimes. The item and inventory system was just stupid - I could have sworn the box said "Mass Effect," not "Bulk Used Weapons Salesman Simulator." Using a sniper rifle at the beginning of the game was like downing a bottle of scotch and attempting to fly a plane - and I never did find anything I liked better than the good 'ol pistol. Don't even talk to me about driving the All-Terrain-Whale up the side of a mountain.

But, despite all that, I'm actually really excited for Mass Effect 2. I enjoyed Mass Effect enough to play through it three times. Mostly, I enjoyed the whole ("gestalt") of ME more than any single part, and the universe itself was very promising. Of all the characters I'd like to see again, Tali wasn't really high on my list, but I'll put up with her.

-Jester