Help with resizing windows (XP)
Hello Lurkers,

How do I explain this; okay, you know those how some websites have popups that crop up here and there with no Minimize, or Close feature at the top, and you cannot click on the side of the window to drag it and make it larger? Well the problem I'm having is sometimes on websites, I need to see what these windows say, like when I'm trying to register something and the bottom of the Register Email box is cut off. My resolution is currently 1280 x 1024 with the highest resolution setting enabled. The words in my internet browser and windows explorer are set to normal - setting them to small doesn't help, nor can I read the bottom of the box. So, my question is how do I scroll up or down in/or better yet resize these windows?

Also, I have another program with the same type window, but when I alt-tab to it from another application, it shrinks so small, I can't even see the screen and I have no idea how to resize it!

Any and all help much appreciated!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Any and all help much appreciated!

Hail MEAT,

Any chance you could give us an example?

In case you can't, are the pop ups layered on top of the website screen, or opened in an entirely different window? I think I know what you're talking about, though unfortunately there are a lot of different ways for a website to make this kind of headache for the user.

Cheers,

Munk
Quote:Hail MEAT,

Any chance you could give us an example?

In case you can't, are the pop ups layered on top of the website screen, or opened in an entirely different window? I think I know what you're talking about, though unfortunately there are a lot of different ways for a website to make this kind of headache for the user.

Cheers,

Munk

Alright, I downloaded a freware program called Resize Enable, which allows me resize normally unresizable windows. The problem I'm having now is still, everytime I alt-tab to this window, it changes it's size back to this minature size and I have to "resize" it every single time. I guess now I'm just wondering why it keeps shrinking everytime I alt-tab back to it. Maybe it's a setting in my video card? I'll have to check later when I get home.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Also, I have another program with the same type window, but when I alt-tab to it from another application, it shrinks so small, I can't even see the screen and I have no idea how to resize it!
Might I ask what program this is? Because if this behaviour is typical of it, I think it was very poorly coded.

It's pretty easy to code a window to resize itself on getFocus. Very easy and, in most circumstances, very stupid.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:Hello Lurkers,

How do I explain this; okay, you know those how some websites have popups that crop up here and there with no Minimize, or Close feature at the top, and you cannot click on the side of the window to drag it and make it larger? Well the problem I'm having is sometimes on websites, I need to see what these windows say, like when I'm trying to register something and the bottom of the Register Email box is cut off. My resolution is currently 1280 x 1024 with the highest resolution setting enabled. The words in my internet browser and windows explorer are set to normal - setting them to small doesn't help, nor can I read the bottom of the box. So, my question is how do I scroll up or down in/or better yet resize these windows?

Also, I have another program with the same type window, but when I alt-tab to it from another application, it shrinks so small, I can't even see the screen and I have no idea how to resize it!

Any and all help much appreciated!

These sound like very poorly designed websites. You should notify the webmaster that the site is unnecessarily difficult to use. In the meantime, set dom.disable_window_open_feature.resizable to true in about:config to override the resize restriction.
Quote:Kp' date='Oct 10 2007, 08:53 PM' post='138568']
These sound like very poorly designed websites. You should notify the webmaster that the site is unnecessarily difficult to use. In the meantime, set dom.disable_window_open_feature.resizable to true in about:config to override the resize restriction.

If I use Internet Explorer, the web sites where I have to enter information - such as WAMU when applying for a credit card - can easily be seen. It's when I use my favorite browser, Firefox, that the problems ensue. I also use the plugin called No Script, and I think that may be the culprit for web pages. I'm not sure [where] to find that dom.disable_window thing, perhaps in a Java plugin? For now, I'll just use IE for these difficult web sites - it is a little annoying though because all my bookmarks are on Firefox.
Quote:Might I ask what program this is? Because if this behaviour is typical of it, I think it was very poorly coded.

It's pretty easy to code a window to resize itself on getFocus. Very easy and, in most circumstances, very stupid.

I'm using d2loader to run my [valid copy] of Diablo 2 in windowed mode on battle.net without blizzard hogging up my CD ROM drive (which should be illegal, I'm paying for their intellectual property, not allowing them to use my drive). Sometimes while playing, my son and I want to lookup runewords on Arreat Summit, so I fire up Firefox, but whenever I alt-tab back to D2 in windowed mode, the window becomes about |--------------------| big and as tall as these letters. The program I got for resizing windows works well enough, however it's still frustrating having to resize the window each and everytime I alt-tab. There has to be a reason it keeps shrinking everytime I alt-tab! I thought it might be related to the website issue, but atlas, the web site issue seems more and more like a Javascript issue, so I'm not sure if the two are even related.
Quote:I'm not sure [where] to find that dom.disable_window thing, perhaps in a Java plugin?
Type about:config as a url.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Quote:I also use the plugin called No Script, and I think that may be the culprit for web pages.

That can happen. Many poorly designed (read: professional) websites break pretty badly if JavaScript is disabled. If you suspect problems, open the NoScript menu and examine what sites were blocked from using JavaScript. Selectively enable them until the page starts working.