Possible source of FPS issues
This may be moot with the release of the 2.2 patch, but evidently conditional macros can have a HUGE impact on your frame rate. I've been struggling with 5-7 fps numbers on lurker below that have made it extremely difficult at times to be effective. This thread at elitistjerks.com documents the issue.

http://elitistjerks.com/f32/t12504-2_1_mac..._affecting_fps/

Some of the reports later in the thread about improvements in frame rates is pretty astonishing.

D

Blue confirmation:

https://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.h...31192&sid=1#722
Quote:Althor, we believe we have isolated the primary source of the slow down with the conditional macros, and the reason our QA department did not produce results that matched yours early on. The cost of the conditional macros grows based on how many items there are in your inventory. The cost of each conditional macro is a constant amount, but that amount varies based on how many items are in your inventory. The more items, the bigger the cost. If your inventory and bank are full, and you have a lot of conditional macros, the cost is likely very high, and has a severe impact on your frame rate. Unfortunately, this connection to the items in your inventory was discovered too late to get a fix in for the 2.1.2 patch. It will be fixed in the following client patch. In the mean time, as I mentioned in my earlier post, adding the "#show" line to the top of your macros, indicating the spell or action you want to associate with said macro should remove the cost of the conditionals and restore your frame rate.

I use a lot of macros, with just two conditional ones (my shackle and mind control macros). Hopefully this helps my woes. I think SSC framerate will suck anyway -- I blame some water effect.

Quote: I think SSC framerate will suck anyway -- I blame some water effect.

A little off-topic, but for people with video framerate issues, you may receive framerate benefit by checking the Level of Detail box. Typically people think that checking boxes = higher quality and lower performance, but in the case of LOD this is the opposite.

Level of Detail allows the game to use less precise geometry as objects are further from you. In static scenes it is virtually indistinguishable from normal rendering, but with motion the 'transition distances' where it switches rendering complexity can be very obvious and annoying to some people.

I just thought I'd mention it because the checkbox is counter-intuitive. People probably have this unchecked who really want it checked.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:A little off-topic, but for people with video framerate issues, you may receive framerate benefit by checking the Level of Detail box. Typically people think that checking boxes = higher quality and lower performance, but in the case of LOD this is the opposite.

Level of Detail allows the game to use less precise geometry as objects are further from you. In static scenes it is virtually indistinguishable from normal rendering, but with motion the 'transition distances' where it switches rendering complexity can be very obvious and annoying to some people.

I just thought I'd mention it because the checkbox is counter-intuitive. People probably have this unchecked who really want it checked.

Wasn't there a bug in a recent patch where LOD was causing issues for some people? Was that ever fixed?
So the big thing that is hurting me now is the new sound engine. Blizzard decided to move away from all hardware acceleration for sound. My sound is choppy at best now (since I use wine under Linux I depended on the hardware). My machine is also more than three years old now, so the combination isn't kind to me.
Quote:So the big thing that is hurting me now is the new sound engine. Blizzard decided to move away from all hardware acceleration for sound. My sound is choppy at best now (since I use wine under Linux I depended on the hardware). My machine is also more than three years old now, so the combination isn't kind to me.
I had the same problem. There is a pretty decent fix towards the bottom of the WoW on wine page that has worked for me. I have still have reduced FPS and occasional sound issues, but not as bad as it was on patch day. Moving to software sound = stupid imo.
Delgorasha of <The Basin> on Tichondrius Un-re-retired
Delcanan of <First File> on Runetotem