Upcoming games that makes me glad I'm a species born with opposabl
(that title should've read: Upcoming games that makes me glad I'm a species born with opposable thumbs.
Apparently it was too long and the forum chopped it off. The title only thankfully and not my thumbs.)

- Metal Gear Solid 4
(I'm hoping this will not be delayed.)

- Fallout3 by Bethesda
(Loved Fallout, and I liked Morrowind. I'm really hoping that the construction sets is made available and the modder community follows this game.)

- Bioshock
(Spiritual successor to System Shock2. Yes it's a good looking shooter, but what really gets my crank going is the underwater dystopian setting, and hints that it was built by someone described as Ayn Rand meets Howard Hughes. Some spoilers, don't click if you want to go in fresh http://www.gametrailers.com/player/20691.html )
Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Metroid 3, and Mario Galaxy all look pretty nifty and they're coming out within the next few months. I haven't even finished Resident Evil 4 yet :angry:

Also, Hellgate: London.
Quote:Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Metroid 3, and Mario Galaxy all look pretty nifty and they're coming out within the next few months. I haven't even finished Resident Evil 4 yet :angry:

RE4 is *fun*

I haven't beaten it on professional mode, but that is something I intend on coming back to when I get bored... if I ever do.

I just picked up Madden '08 the other day, and I'm having a good time with it, even if it feels like that the controls aren't very well refined.

Other games I'm looking forward to... Guitar Hero III, Battallion Wars: 2 (aka bwii), NiGHTs, Soul Calibur Legends, Mario & Sonic @ the Olympic Games, and Mario Kart: Wii. That is all in addition to SSBB, MP3:C, and Mario Galaxy.

I don't have NEARLY enough money for all of them. Go Christmas?

-Baylan
*Deep Breath*

BioShock - ohmygodohmygodohmygod... technically this isn't an upcoming game for me because it is presently sitting in my 360. This is probably one of the best games ever. Seriously, buy this game. Some people will claim that this type of game needs to be played on the PC because you neeeeed to have K+M to truly play a FPS but the controls on the 360 are very tight and if you happen to have a decent tv, playing this game on a bigscreen HD in the dark with the surround sound turned way up is the true experience.

Eternal Sonata - Ever since the demo hit for this game RPG fans have been drooling all over the internets. Forget Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata is the real JRPG experience of 2007. Playing this game gave me the good ol' feeling i used to get with FFII, III, Chrono Trigger, etc.

Lost Odyssey - This one is actually a bit iffy for me. unlike Blue Dragon, this will probably be the Final Fantasy experience people have been looking for on the 360, but with all the other major hitters coming in the RPG lineup (See above and below) this one is the only one that still has question marks around it.

Guitar Hero III - What is there to say? Duh, this one is on the list. Plus presently this is THE guitar controller for the next generation.

Rock Band - This one actually should be higher on the list if I were doing this in any sort of order, which i am not. As much as I love Guitar Hero, Rock Band is the next evolution. I actually have my doubts as to whether there will be a Guitar Hero IV. (and if they do make one i have great fears as to how badly they will mangle it to differentiate it from Rock Band.) If playing with a full band didn't sell you on this the massive downloadable content should just push it over the edge. This game is going to be huge. The only thing left in uncertainty is how Microsoft will deal with so many people upgrading their 20 gig hard drives to the 120 gigs so that they can store all the content.

Mass Effect - Thank god this game doesn't come out until november, maybe by that time my salivatory gland will have refilled after BioShock. I've got my Eternal Sonata JRPG coming, and this will not just satisfy my BioWare fix, but totally bring the house down. What you don't have a 360 yet? :blink:Here's your reason. Oh, and if you haven't noticed all the other games on this list are also 360. I hate to be a corporate shill, but when microsoft says they have the best holiday lineup ever this year they aren't just blowing smoke. it really is the best.

Also of note:
Super Puzzle Fighter HD Remix
Puzzle Quest
Space Giraffe
Undertow
Two Worlds (yeah i know; bug bug bug, delay delay delay, what can i say i've just got a hankering to play oblivion multiplayer)

p.s. if you haven't noticed Halo 3 didn't make the cut. Honestly, i don't think i'll get this game. will it be good? definately. but, personally, deathmatch shooters only entertain me for about 2 weeks. If i were to put any FPS on here (I don't count BioShock or Mass Effect even with thier shooter content) it would be Call of Duty 4. That game is going to be really nice. plus the developers are smart enough to realize that putting achievements into the multiplayer aspect of a FPS just ends up destroying the game experience and have limited achievements to the single player. now i can play a FPS without getting into a game with the settings all jacked up just so a couple random crankshafts can farm grenade kills.
Quote:Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Metroid 3, and Mario Galaxy all look pretty nifty and they're coming out within the next few months. I haven't even finished Resident Evil 4 yet :angry:

Some of those games for the wii may only require use of the wii-mote, not the buttons, so if you taped the wii-mote to your hand, you wouldn't need opposable thumbs thus they wouldn't be in this list;); I motion to strike those games from this sacred list!

J/K :lol:I couldn't resist!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:RE4 is *fun*

I haven't beaten it on professional mode, but that is something I intend on coming back to when I get bored... if I ever do.

I just picked up Madden '08 the other day, and I'm having a good time with it, even if it feels like that the controls aren't very well refined.

Other games I'm looking forward to... Guitar Hero III, Battallion Wars: 2 (aka bwii), NiGHTs, Soul Calibur Legends, Mario & Sonic @ the Olympic Games, and Mario Kart: Wii. That is all in addition to SSBB, MP3:C, and Mario Galaxy.

I don't have NEARLY enough money for all of them. Go Christmas?

-Baylan

Personally, I'm looking forward to Dance Dance Hottest Mix which not only requires a dance pad, but the wii-mote and nun-chuck. OMG, thats a lot of moving!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Personally, I'm looking forward to Dance Dance Hottest Mix which not only requires a dance pad, but the wii-mote and nun-chuck. OMG, thats a lot of moving!

I've never been a huge Dance Dance fan, but I do plan on buying GH3 for the Wii... and SSBB, and Mario Galaxy, and and and nad nad... so many more. Its going to be an expensive year :-(... :-)... :-(... :-)

I think that adequately describes my emotion about that one.

-Baylan
Quote:(that title should've read: Upcoming games that makes me glad I'm a species born with opposable thumbs.
Apparently it was too long and the forum chopped it off. The title only thankfully and not my thumbs.)
- Metal Gear Solid 4
(I'm hoping this will not be delayed.)
Too late. MGS4 delay has already been announced. Expect it Q1/Q2 2008. Will be worth the wait though. No question about it. Have you seen the last trailer with the fight between the two characters from Sons of Liberty? Breathtakingly awesome!

--------

As for other games, in the realm of RPGs, I'm looking forward to Fallout 3 and Hellgate: London. FPS-wise, Crysis and Bioshock are both :w00t:and :shuriken:. Guitar Hero 3 is also very high on my list. Latest news said Metallica's "One" will be featured. Can't wait for the 'machinegun-section' with semiquaver-triplets!!

The game on the very top of my list, however, is Rock Band. For the 2 or 3 of you out there who have no idea what this is... shame!

Rock Band is game that takes the premise of Guitar Hero, and cranks it up a couple of notches. In addition to being able to play guitar on a wide selection of rock classics, you'll also be able to sing as well as play the drums and bass. There are a couple of video-clips out there on the net. The first we ever got to see of Rock Band was Guns and Roses - Welcome to the Jungle

This is from Gamespot's coverage of E3 this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjrhM1Nh7PI
It's the Rock Band stage show. 40 minutes long, but still very cool! Highly recommended:)

Can't wait for this game. I'm a drummer myself, but I've enjoyed Guitar Hero with a passion. Can't wait to get the feel of the drum kit for Rock Band.

Wohoo!

Edit: For more information on Rock Band, see http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/puzzle/rockban...g=tabs;previews

For Metallica-fans, I can tell you that Enter Sandman will be available at the launch of the game, and large chunks of their back-catalogue will be available for download some time in the future. For Rock Band, it's not just one or two songs by a single artist, but rather whole albums. MTV and EA are large contributors to Rock Band, and they've got a lot more backing than they did for Guitar Hero.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:Angel' date='Aug 17 2007, 11:12 AM' post='135309']
Too late. MGS4 delay has already been announced. Expect it Q1/Q2 2008. Will be worth the wait though. No question about it. Have you seen the last trailer with the fight between the two characters from Sons of Liberty? Breathtakingly awesome!
I still need to play MGS3... Oh well, at least 4 is for the PS3 so I won't have to worry about buying it for another couple of years (aka the amount of time that will probably elapse before I can afford a PS3).

Unfortunately for my entertainment and fortunately for my wallet, there's very little coming out that I'm interested in. I'll probably get Guild Wars: Eye of the North once it drops in price ($40 for an expansion? yeah right...), but that's about it. HG:L seems ok but the crappy character options for non-suscribers lost me. Still undecided about Fury, hasn't really been able to hold my interest, but we'll see how the game develops.

Right now I'm looking forward more to games that have been out for a while that I haven't gotten a chance to play, especially games that continue a series. The next time Gamestop/EB does a buy 2 get 1 free sale I think I'll stock up on a bunch of "older" games I have yet to play.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
This is a little off-topic, but still related to video games and i thought it may be something that lurkers may be interested in.

For anyone who does have an xbox 360 you probably know that the HDdvd add-on has recently dropped price to 179.99. This in itself is a pretty decent deal. But it's also bolstered by the fact that the drive comes packaged with the Universal xbox remote control (MSRP 19.99) and the movie King Kong (normal price 24.99-29.99).

King Kong never really pushed me to pick up the HD drive but until the end of September there is an offer of 5 free HDdvds which you can choose from a List.

This really started to peak my interest and Best Buy, this week, pushed me over the edge. BB has a deal this week where if you purchase the HDdvd drive add-on you will also get the 300 HDdvd for free.

Total deal:

HDdvd drive
Universal Remote
King Kong
+5 HDdvd of your choice from the above list

(My personal choices for the 5 i think will be Blazing Saddles, Sky Captain, Chronicles of Riddick, and Casablanca. I'm a little bit torn between We Were Soldiers and U-571 right now. I think i may be leaning a little bit towards We Were Soldiers though.)

Any way if you happen to have the 360 and have interest in getting into the HD dvds this week is probably the best possible deal you can get.
Quote:This is a little off-topic, but still related to video games and i thought it may be something that lurkers may be interested in.

For anyone who does have an xbox 360 you probably know that the HDdvd add-on has recently dropped price to 179.99. This in itself is a pretty decent deal. But it's also bolstered by the fact that the drive comes packaged with the Universal xbox remote control (MSRP 19.99) and the movie King Kong (normal price 24.99-29.99).

King Kong never really pushed me to pick up the HD drive but until the end of September there is an offer of 5 free HDdvds which you can choose from a List.

This really started to peak my interest and Best Buy, this week, pushed me over the edge. BB has a deal this week where if you purchase the HDdvd drive add-on you will also get the 300 HDdvd for free.

Total deal:

HDdvd drive
Universal Remote
King Kong
+5 HDdvd of your choice from the above list

(My personal choices for the 5 i think will be Blazing Saddles, Sky Captain, Chronicles of Riddick, and Casablanca. I'm a little bit torn between We Were Soldiers and U-571 right now. I think i may be leaning a little bit towards We Were Soldiers though.)

Any way if you happen to have the 360 and have interest in getting into the HD dvds this week is probably the best possible deal you can get.

Bleh... Blue-ray is where it's at! 1080i all the way baby! I was at Fry's Electronics two days ago and asked then why their HD DVD was only $250 and they told me because it was only 480p/i and didn't do 1080i. The cheapest blue-ray was $500+ :(. I'm waiting until after xmas, but won't bother with the HD-DVD. If microsoft put that digital compression on the blue-ray, imagine how much data you could cram onto a blue-ray; greedy SOB's! I'll never support HD-DVD!
edit: bizzare forum issues.
IIRC, the XBox HD player can just as easily attach to your PC as it can to your XBox.

As for the 480/720/1080 confoogles, HD-DVD and Blu Ray are both capable of going up to 1080p (and beyond, really - all it is is a screen resolution). That drive you saw at Fry's sounds more like an upconvert player, which isn't capable of playing real HD-DVDs.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Quote:IIRC, the XBox HD player can just as easily attach to your PC as it can to your XBox.

As for the 480/720/1080 confoogles, HD-DVD and Blu Ray are both capable of going up to 1080p (and beyond, really - all it is is a screen resolution). That drive you saw at Fry's sounds more like an upconvert player, which isn't capable of playing real HD-DVDs.

that's what it sounds like to me. and in that case, $250 is waayyyyy overpriced. you can get upconverting dvd players with hdmi for around $100.

I also think that the cheapest stand-alone HDdvd player out at the moment is around $350. if the guy at frys was telling you that HDdvd can only output 480p he was blatantly lying to you.

As for the xbox 360 HD dvd add-on, it can work on a PC but I believe it requires the use of "unofficial drivers". I haven't looked into trying mine on my PC. Why bother when i've got 50 inches of 1080p goodness?

edit: many edits today: Paramount announces exclusive deal with HD-dvd First titles to arrive will be Blades of Glory. Transformers, and Shrek the Third.

Transformers could push a lot of HD-dvd player sales.
Quote:that's what it sounds like to me. and in that case, $250 is waayyyyy overpriced. you can get upconverting dvd players with hdmi for around $100.

I also think that the cheapest stand-alone HDdvd player out at the moment is around $350. if the guy at frys was telling you that HDdvd can only output 480p he was blatantly lying to you.

As for the xbox 360 HD dvd add-on, it can work on a PC but I believe it requires the use of "unofficial drivers". I haven't looked into trying mine on my PC. Why bother when i've got 50 inches of 1080p goodness?

edit: many edits today: Paramount announces exclusive deal with HD-dvd First titles to arrive will be Blades of Glory. Transformers, and Shrek the Third.

Transformers could push a lot of HD-dvd player sales.

Humm, I find that very interesting. Would they intentionally lie to me for better sales? Not only does that seem unethical, but illegal :angry:! Perhaps it was the upconvert thing you were referring too, although I have no idea what that is. To be honest, I haven't seen any HD-DVD's available, but have seen a ton of blue-ray DVD's for sale.
Quote:Humm, I find that very interesting. Would they intentionally lie to me for better sales? Not only does that seem unethical, but illegal :angry:!
Or the sales monkey didn't have a clue what he was selling. If America is anything like the UK, then sales staff in high street electronics hardly get any training about the specifications of the products, only on "dealing with the public". Generally, they work with the knowledge they already possess, or just wing it.

Quote:Perhaps it was the upconvert thing you were referring too, although I have no idea what that is. To be honest, I haven't seen any HD-DVD's available, but have seen a ton of blue-ray DVD's for sale.
Or: HD-DVDs are selling out fast, while stores can't shift Blu-Ray units even with promises of free cake:)
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Actually, latest numbers report that Blue-Ray discs are outselling HD-DVDs 2:1. This is, however most likely (partly) due to the PS3 price cut in the US. ($599 --> $499. Oh, and by the way, it's still $1000 in Norway...:angry:)

This could all change though with Viacom's recent pledge to release its products solely on HD-DVD.

suuurce

The battle for world domination continues...

On a brighter note: gamespot gave Bioshock ("System Shock 3") a whopping 9 out of 10!
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:With sales of Blu-ray high-definition video discs three times those of rival HD DVDs and with some retailers even refusing to stock HD DVDs, analysts were puzzling Monday over an announcement by Paramount/DreamWorks to release movies in the future exclusively in the HD DVD format. Some openly speculated that a fix was in -- that the HD DVD group had paid Paramount/DreamWorks a significant fee to secure exclusivity for their format.

Andy Parsons, who heads the promotions committee of the Blu-ray Disc Association, fell short of accusing the HD DVD association of bribing the recently conjoined studios, saying that "we can only imagine what could have enticed Paramount to walk away from a format that is clearly selling significantly more software than the HD-DVD format."

Several analysts suggested that the real loser will be high-definition video generally, with consumers reluctant to buy new players for either format until one or the other wins out. That could take a long time, Jan Saxton of Adams Media Research told the Los Angeles Times. "Most people are not aware that the original video format [battle] between Betamax and VHS lasted 10 years," he said.

Stole that quote from IMDB's news section today.
Quote:Stole that quote from IMDB's news section today.

Taking just what Paramount has said in their press release and the present trend of HDdvd price points I expect they are betting on HDdvd because that format will obviously be the first to have their stand alone players break the mass market $250 price point.

blu-ray is selling more software at the moment but most of that i would suspect is coming from people that bought a playstation. the blu-ray stand alone players are selling like... well they aren't. by the time that HDdvd can get thier players down to $250 (possibly even this christmas) blu-ray players, playstation included, will still be above 400.

this paramount switch is big news for the so-called HD format war, because prior to this the blu-ray camp tended to rely on their "exclusive support" to justify claims that blu-ray was the clear winner. what people don't like to mention is that BD hasn't really done much with all these exclusive studios. most of the movies released are available on both formats and ironically out of all the exclusive movies i find the most interesting ones on HDdvd. Blu-ray has really dropped the ball on their exclusive support (Casino Royal being the only real exception.) This fact really undermines the Fox Announcement that followed Paramounts. Blu-ray studios, fox included, have been saying forever how they will have the most exclusive content but we sure haven't seen it yet. Add to that they've announced movie releases which never panned out, and i still have my doubts as to the effect of the "exclusive content" on blu-ray.

The end result of all this is that yes, Playstation 3 is a big blu-ray benefit now as it is the sole reason that they are moving so much software. All bets are off, however, when HDdvd can lower their player prices down to $250 or below (which will happen much sooner than blu-ray) If a price point down near $200 isn't enough to push the tide in HDdvds favor than nothing probably will.

Edit: and back on topic, Space Giraffe hits this weds!
Quote:Taking just what Paramount has said in their press release and the present trend of HDdvd price points I expect they are betting on HDdvd because that format will obviously be the first to have their stand alone players break the mass market $250 price point.

blu-ray is selling more software at the moment but most of that i would suspect is coming from people that bought a playstation. the blu-ray stand alone players are selling like... well they aren't. by the time that HDdvd can get thier players down to $250 (possibly even this christmas) blu-ray players, playstation included, will still be above 400.

this paramount switch is big news for the so-called HD format war, because prior to this the blu-ray camp tended to rely on their "exclusive support" to justify claims that blu-ray was the clear winner. what people don't like to mention is that BD hasn't really done much with all these exclusive studios. most of the movies released are available on both formats and ironically out of all the exclusive movies i find the most interesting ones on HDdvd. Blu-ray has really dropped the ball on their exclusive support (Casino Royal being the only real exception.) This fact really undermines the Fox Announcement that followed Paramounts. Blu-ray studios, fox included, have been saying forever how they will have the most exclusive content but we sure haven't seen it yet. Add to that they've announced movie releases which never panned out, and i still have my doubts as to the effect of the "exclusive content" on blu-ray.

The end result of all this is that yes, Playstation 3 is a big blu-ray benefit now as it is the sole reason that they are moving so much software. All bets are off, however, when HDdvd can lower their player prices down to $250 or below (which will happen much sooner than blu-ray) If a price point down near $200 isn't enough to push the tide in HDdvds favor than nothing probably will.

Edit: and back on topic, Space Giraffe hits this weds!

Another thing to note about the two formats, right now HD has the ability to hit 50 G of space on a single disk while Blueray is struggling to hit 25 G. If the drives get down in price, can achieve rewritable access, and someone produces these drives for computers, HD will get a major coupe. Overall, Blueray has some very steep technology hurdles to overcome that HD has already gotten over. If more information on these techonology hurdles comes to light, HD is going to start looking better and better over Blueray.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.