Looking for a good, simple and small no cost webserver
I am looking for a webserver to run on my home computer. It will only be used for various private uses and hence can and should be simple, small but reliable and good (and safe of course). Long ago, I used to run the xitami web server (it served well, allowing hundrads of thusands of downloads of my guide by the way). I liked it, it was simple and easy to handle (for the uses I had, I could easilly handle som simple accounts and protect pages and direct different uses, the few I had to different places and so on). It seems it is still at trhe same release I used back then and was discontinued in 2001. However, I liked it. So my question is, is there som other similar new web server I should look at? If anyone knows it, it is still OK and safe to use (seems so). Any input or suggestion appreciated.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
I'm afraid I'm not going to be too much help here, since I use my servers for web design/sites only. My work is done on a virtual server (a WAMP setup on my computer) and then posted on a pay-per-month hosted server (running a run of the mill LAMP setup w/ php5). The last 'home' server I used was in 2001 on an old Debian box. I couldn't tell you what I was running back then for the life of me.

But since it might help, what do you need out of your server?

Webpage interfaces? File storage/FTP access? Etc.

If you are looking primarily for website hosting, do you require databasing a la mysql, sql-lite, etc? Programming languages like PHP, Ruby, etc?

Like I said, I am of little help here. But I am in frequent contact with some folks who could be very helpful with a bit more information.

Cheers,

Munk
The only thing I require is simple hosting of files and some simple html pages. That is basically it. Nothing else, no databases nothing special.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Quote:I am looking for a webserver to run on my home computer. It will only be used for various private uses and hence can and should be simple, small but reliable and good (and safe of course). Long ago, I used to run the xitami web server (it served well, allowing hundrads of thusands of downloads of my guide by the way). I liked it, it was simple and easy to handle (for the uses I had, I could easilly handle som simple accounts and protect pages and direct different uses, the few I had to different places and so on). It seems it is still at trhe same release I used back then and was discontinued in 2001. However, I liked it. So my question is, is there som other similar new web server I should look at? If anyone knows it, it is still OK and safe to use (seems so). Any input or suggestion appreciated.
Apache? Pretty standard, easy to install, lots of features, lots of add-ons, used all over on many OS's, and is free. Spend some time securing it though. Since it is well known, so are the sploits.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]