Virtual Terrorists, or Killing two birds with one stone
Yes, that's right, Rupert Murdock's Newscorp is back at it again. Only this time they aren't just drudging up fear about masses of radical islamic terrorists banging on our doorsteps. According to This article they may already be here! In a much more insidious form than ever! *cue ominous music* VIDEO GAMES!!!!!!

I'm guessing that the majority of the readership of The Australian either knows so little about the games mentioned that they will not know that practically everything said about second life in the article is a flat out LIE or that they are so conditioned to be fearful that it doesn't matter what the content of the article says. Maybe they should just cut production costs and release a one page paper that just says "Terrorists... Be Afraid" over and over again.

Here's a choice excerpt from the article:

Quote:Kevin Zuccato, head of the Australian High Tech Crime Centre in Canberra, says terrorists can gain training in games such as World of Warcraft in a simulated environment, using weapons that are identical to real-world armaments.

I guess next week there will be a report coming out telling us to forget about the duct tape and start instance grinding for our L33t epics so we can fight off the terrorists.

On the up-side however now we will know when the terrorists will strike, we just have to listen for "LEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOY JEEEEEEEENKIIIIINS!!!"
Quote:Kevin Zuccato, head of the Australian High Tech Crime Centre in Canberra, says terrorists can gain training in games such as World of Warcraft in a simulated environment, using weapons that are identical to real-world armaments.

I had no idea!

Where is it exactly I can get a Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker IRL?

If only I'd known earlier, I could have started skilling up for real life!

-Jester
Quote:Yes, that's right, Rupert Murdock's Newscorp is back at it again. Only this time they aren't just drudging up fear about masses of radical islamic terrorists banging on our doorsteps. According to This article they may already be here! In a much more insidious form than ever! *cue ominous music* VIDEO GAMES!!!!!!

I'm guessing that the majority of the readership of The Australian either knows so little about the games mentioned that they will not know that practically everything said about second life in the article is a flat out LIE or that they are so conditioned to be fearful that it doesn't matter what the content of the article says. Maybe they should just cut production costs and release a one page paper that just says "Terrorists... Be Afraid" over and over again.

I guess next week there will be a report coming out telling us to forget about the duct tape and start instance grinding for our L33t epics so we can fight off the terrorists.

On the up-side however now we will know when the terrorists will strike, we just have to listen for "LEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOY JEEEEEEEENKIIIIINS!!!"
Counterstrike would be too obvious.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Counterstrike would be too obvious.

Are you OK Kandrathe?

>Are you OK Kandrathe?

?

Kandrathe probably meant Counterstrike, the video game. Specifically, the online Half Life mod, a popular fps shooter. A video game version of cowboys and indians, or cops and robbers. Or by today's standard, Terrrrsts vs Countrrtrrrsts. SOMEONE SET US UP THE BOMB!!!!1111
Quote:>Are you OK Kandrathe?
?
Kandrathe probably meant Counterstrike, the video game. Specifically, the online Half Life mod, a popular fps shooter. A video game version of cowboys and indians, or cops and robbers. Or by today's standard, Terrrrsts vs Countrrtrrrsts. SOMEONE SET US UP THE BOMB!!!!1111

I meant if he was not involved in that bridge accident.
Sorry for the topic hijack.

>I meant if he was not involved in that bridge accident.

I was puzzled until you clarified it with the key word 'bridge'.

Quote:I meant if he was not involved in that bridge accident. Sorry for the topic hijack.
Yeah, I drive over that bridge at least twice every day. I had a meeting from 10:00am-3:00pm so when I returned to the office I had 50 e-mails to read/reply. I didn't leave the office until 6:10, so I missed the main event, but was in time for the traffic snarl and didn't get home until 8:30pm last night. It's weird though, I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the bridge last week and I had one of those momentary premonitions when the bridge was shaking that suddenly I was not safe. Some of my friends are rescue/recovery divers and are on Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT) who helped last night and today. Its a bit surreal though, in this cosmic game of roulette that when the music stopped it was those 50 car loads of people who got caught on the bridge.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:Its a bit surreal though, in this cosmic game of roulette that when the music stopped it was those 50 car loads of people who got caught on the bridge.
It would be interesting to hear the stories of just what brought each person to be at that point at that exact time. It makes you wonder how many were running late or got an early start in case of traffic. How many took that route because they thought it would be faster than another. How many cross there every day and how many hadn't been on that span in years. They interviewed one family from Texas(?) where the wife had donated a kidney to the husband and they were here for a 3 year checkup. Their car bounced three times but they were OK, other than having to call the rental company to tell them they weren't getting their car back.:oWhen I think of the thousands of times I've been over that bridge it makes me wonder why them and not me.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:It would be interesting to hear the stories of just what brought each person to be at that point at that exact time.
I've talked to many coworkers who crossed safely minutes before it fell. Like I said, it took me almost 2.5 hours to get home that night, but I was very thankful I was one of those who was going to get home.

Quote:Yes, that's right, Rupert Murdock's Newscorp is back at it again. Only this time they aren't just drudging up fear about masses of radical islamic terrorists banging on our doorsteps. According to This article they may already be here! In a much more insidious form than ever! *cue ominous music* VIDEO GAMES!!!!!!

I see no need to make a new thread when this little tidbit fits in so perfectly with terrorism:

Black Hatters are at it again, and this time, no computer is safe from the dreaded elite terrorists hackers! In all seriousness though, at my work we use Micros computers and they went way out of their way to encrypt and code all data to and from our terminals to Visanet so the data never stays on our computers, but I'm willing to bet any hacker with real skill could crack that puppy in a few minutes flat.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:I see no need to make a new thread when this little tidbit fits in so perfectly with terrorism:

Black Hatters are at it again, and this time, no computer is safe from the dreaded elite terrorists hackers! In all seriousness though, at my work we use Micros computers and they went way out of their way to encrypt and code all data to and from our terminals to Visanet so the data never stays on our computers, but I'm willing to bet any hacker with real skill could crack that puppy in a few minutes flat.

Wow. Reminds me of an article I read a while back by a 'security expert', talked about a 'solid defense' against anyone. At the end of his post there was a comment and a link to another article, showing easy exploits in the majority of his list of items.

Guess it goes to show, nothing is ever as safe as it seems.

The final question is which is worse; the government monitoring your every phonecall, google holding all your searches in a database, or a hacker controling your computer with a Blue Pill Rootkit?

Cheers,

Munk
Quote:The final question is which is worse; the government monitoring your every phonecall, google holding all your searches in a database, or a hacker controling your computer with a Blue Pill Rootkit?

Cheers,

Munk

We should all stop worrying so much and play Grand Theft Walrus instead.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Quote:We should all stop worrying so much and play Grand Theft Walrus instead.

take care
Tarabulus

I think I'll go fishing instead;)

Cheers,

Munk