2.2 Test Realm patch notes
Quote:Looking at the crafting professions, the two most profitable have got to be enchanting and jewelcrafting. They're lucrative, and the majority of the "rich" players with whom I've spoken (aside from those who play the auction house) are currently holding onto one of these two. They're ALWAYS in demand. Every time someone upgrades his gear at 70, he has an interest in either a new enchantment or some new gems (or both).
Only 375 enchants make money, the others are given away for free when provided with mats to upgrade the skill.

Enchanting is NOT a money-making profession.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:Only 375 enchants make money, the others are given away for free when provided with mats to upgrade the skill.

Enchanting is NOT a money-making profession.
Do you enjoy being contrary?

~Frag B)
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Quote:I predict server-wide shortages of small prismatic shards.
Not with the other recipes that they've added in. Being able to go back and forth between larges and smalls will help as will having the converting nexus crystals to small prismatics.
Intolerant monkey.
Quote:Not with the other recipes that they've added in. Being able to go back and forth between larges and smalls will help as will having the converting nexus crystals to small prismatics.

OOh, I didn't notice that. That's pretty cool.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:Looking at the crafting professions, the two most profitable have got to be enchanting and jewelcrafting. Every time someone upgrades his gear at 70, he has an interest in either a new enchantment or some new gems (or both).

Interesting. I'm not sure I agree with you on jewelcrafting. Our AH has cut gems selling for an unprofitable margin over the cut ones. You might be able to make some cash selling your services when people need gems cut, but without many really rare cuts I can't see it being more profitable then some of the easy farming options. Prospecting is easy to get a friend to do.

Quote:Blacksmiths get a great weapon... if they're a weapon smith. Otherwise the armor is lackluster and surpassed by easily obtained epic gear. And even the superiority of the BoP weapons is being challenged by the arena rewards.

I hesitate to play the "you should have known better card" but TBC was a fantastic time to reroll your professions. The info was pretty much out there well before it hit. Also, you can respec between specialties for a nominal fee, so I don't feel bad for blacksmiths. I don't think the BoP weapons are getting passed by arena rewards. Neither do most people on top arena teams. 8/10 of the top warriors are using a crafted mace, 1 is using a kael drop and the last one has an arena weapon - but is clearly not in his PvP gear.

Yay, Enchanting got a much needed buff! Yay, Jewelcrafting got a much needed buff! Good to see that filthy Engineering is still in the gutter...

...Wait, why did I go Eng again?
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Quote:Do you enjoy being contrary?

~Frag B)

For what it's worth I agree that enchanting isn't a money maker. I didn't track my expenses in BC until the last portion (360 to 375 and making the rod needed to do Mongoose) but that alone cost me over 2000 gold. I think I managed one out-of-guild sale for a 100g fee.
Quote:Looking at the crafting professions, the two most profitable have got to be enchanting and jewelcrafting. They're lucrative, and the majority of the "rich" players with whom I've spoken (aside from those who play the auction house) are currently holding onto one of these two. They're ALWAYS in demand. Every time someone upgrades his gear at 70, he has an interest in either a new enchantment or some new gems (or both). Now they're adding a new line of BoP gems, akin to the self-only enchants that can be placed on rings.

Definately not on my server. Oh sure, it was great when everyone was leveling to 70 and getting gems for the first time. They had no idea how stable costs were, so I could buy a gem for 50g and sell it cut for 150g. Now it's more like 40g/45g, and sometimes there's no profit at all. Daily quests are where my money comes from, not JC.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Hey Bolty ...
Purge Me!

You were complaining about the visibility of BoP?
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:Hey Bolty ...
Purge Me!

They could have made it a tad more obvious, I agree.

Also, interestingly the level 70 Nethermine Ravagers are now tamable. At least on the PTR.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:I hesitate to play the "you should have known better card" but TBC was a fantastic time to reroll your professions.

I'm speaking of overall balance between professions, not personal preference for any of my characters.
See you in Town,
-Z
Quote:For what it's worth I agree that enchanting isn't a money maker. I didn't track my expenses in BC until the last portion (360 to 375 and making the rod needed to do Mongoose) but that alone cost me over 2000 gold. I think I managed one out-of-guild sale for a 100g fee.

Interesting. The 375 enchanters I know rather enjoy advertising a Mongoose, etc., in trade chat and then getting pure profit as people walk up to them. Perhaps that's part of being on a smaller server.
See you in Town,
-Z
There are two ways to make money out of enchanting: grinding up items to sell the disenchanted parts, or selling rare enchants for a profit. I tend to horde my enchanting materials and I don't have any rare recipes, so I don't really consider enchanting to be a money maker for me. Disclaimer: I stopped trying to level enchanting once I hit 360 when I realised there weren't any easily acquirable recipes that needed me to level it higher. I think I've boosted it to 370-something doing free enchants for guild members.

Correction: A third way to make money out of enchanting is to disenchant other people's good for a cut of the profits (or in my case, more raw material for my stockpile).

Jewelcrafting is similar. You can either sell the uncut gems found by prospecting, or attempt to profit on cuts. I get the sense that margins on cut gems (sold via AH) depend entirely on the rarity of the cut. Veiled Noble Topaz for instance have a fair mark up at the moment (~20 gold on my server when I last checked) because the design was only introduced in 2.1 and many JCs don't have it yet.

Chris
Quote:Not with the other recipes that they've added in. Being able to go back and forth between larges and smalls will help as will having the converting nexus crystals to small prismatics.
I didn't notice that either, but I've been saying since I got into the high 200's that enchanters should be able to upgrade/downgrade essences and shards. (Large Brillies are a pain to come by, particularly.) Make it require an extra reagent or have a c/d or something, but if I could turn Small Prismatics into Large Brillies it would have been a lot easier to break 300. As it is, thanks be to Lurkers donating Greater Eternal Essences.^_^
Terenas (pst !enchant <keywords> or !craft <keywords> to any of my characters)
Shimoyake 375 SW Tailor / 375 Enchanter (Exalted w/ Scryer, CE, Sha'tar, Thrallmar, LC, VE; Revered w/ KoT)
[Image: 551160rumOC.png]
Shikigami 375 SW Tailor / 375 Skinner (Honored w/ Aldor)
[Image: 551176xgSAM.png]
Kosokoso 375 Alchemist / 375 Herbalist (Revered with CE)
[Image: 551190IuloU.png]
et alts
Quote:I didn't notice that either, but I've been saying since I got into the high 200's that enchanters should be able to upgrade/downgrade essences and shards. (Large Brillies are a pain to come by, particularly.) Make it require an extra reagent or have a c/d or something, but if I could turn Small Prismatics into Large Brillies it would have been a lot easier to break 300. As it is, thanks be to Lurkers donating Greater Eternal Essences.^_^

All the essences can be converted between each other by right clicking them. 3 lesser essences <-> 1 larger essence.
Quote:All the essences can be converted between each other by right clicking them. 3 lesser essences <-> 1 larger essence.
Yes, but I was meaning for instance, some way of converting from e.g. Eternals to Planars and vice versa.
Terenas (pst !enchant <keywords> or !craft <keywords> to any of my characters)
Shimoyake 375 SW Tailor / 375 Enchanter (Exalted w/ Scryer, CE, Sha'tar, Thrallmar, LC, VE; Revered w/ KoT)
[Image: 551160rumOC.png]
Shikigami 375 SW Tailor / 375 Skinner (Honored w/ Aldor)
[Image: 551176xgSAM.png]
Kosokoso 375 Alchemist / 375 Herbalist (Revered with CE)
[Image: 551190IuloU.png]
et alts
Quote:Hey Bolty ...
Purge Me!

It was more the visibility of things like BoF, though. In 5v5s, however, it is difficult for me to track the health bars of my party, figure out who's getting focused on and how much healing they'd need from me, locate/face the targets I want to mana burn, monitor my own status of getting pounded on by some Warrior, and track the targets I need to Mass Dispel.

In an unrelated question, when an enemy target casts Bloodlust/Heroism, is there an audible or visual cue that I can pick up on to dispel it? Mass Dispelling a Bloodlust/Heroism on an enemy team is one of the most critical things I can do in an Arena fight to tip the scales in my team's favor.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:In an unrelated question, when an enemy target casts Bloodlust/Heroism, is there an audible or visual cue that I can pick up on to dispel it? Mass Dispelling a Bloodlust/Heroism on an enemy team is one of the most critical things I can do in an Arena fight to tip the scales in my team's favor.

-Bolty
Bloodlust/Horde: Throaty roar (anyone who has played Warcraft 2 recognizes the sound easily) and glowing red hands and eyes I think...

Heroism/Alliance: Metallic high gong sound, and large glowing hammer over the heads

Both: size increases and hands are a-glowing
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
Quote:Bloodlust/Horde: Throaty roar (anyone who has played Warcraft 2 recognizes the sound easily) and glowing red hands and eyes I think...

Heroism/Alliance: Metallic high gong sound, and large glowing hammer over the heads

Also, you can compare it to the kings' buffs in the Chess Event.
Quote:Bloodlust/Horde: Throaty roar (anyone who has played Warcraft 2 recognizes the sound easily) and glowing red hands and eyes I think...

There's been a few forum threads on the official WoW boards. Basically, how big can you get a Tauren by combining size-increase buffs, pots, and the like. Draenei Shamen can hope for a teleporter malfunction if they want to try this on their Elekk mount:)
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386