How to install and start middle earth mod?
Hi!

I played Diablo often all night long when I was at school some years ago. Now I installed it on my new notebook, what was pretty easy. But then I also tryed to install the V&K Middle Earth Mod again what completly failed. First I had to download the 1.07 version because I only have the 1.00 on cd. Then I found it pretty tough to get the mod. I'm not sure what to think about the page where I finally found it but what I'm sure of is that I had problems to download it. then I tryed to start the .dat file by dhack 206. But it allways says: "Failed to write to offset 0x47a649, len0x7: unzulässiger zugriff auf einen Speicherbereich". So I tryed the .exe file but to be honest I don't know how exactly how to do this because I have to start the game by the .exe file which updates the game to the 1.07 version, don't I? When I try to start it by the middle earth mod .exe file it says it can't find the access point in diabloui.dll file. :wacko:

PLEASE HELP!
It's been so long since I've played any of those that my memory would probably fail me should I attempt an explanation. Fortunately, there is a page with a basic explanation as well as files that are all correct on this very website.

Mods

If that doesn't help, I'm sure someone not as absentminded will show up shortly. And in the future, you might want to avoid that cross-posting the same post bidniss.

--me
If youll read this debate carefully, you will find out what people think about mods and how to install EXE and DAT version of mods.
Install Diablo, patch it up to 1.07, throw the .exe file in the same folder with that installation (or use the .dat version). But Middle Earth mod also uses graphics and sounds that are not found on the Diablo CD, so you need to make sure you have downloaded those and put them in the right folder, too.
Thank you so much for your answers! unfortunately the middle earth mod for diablo I is not to be found under diablo mods here. apart from that sadly the sites the links i tryed should lead to don't exist anymore.
but i will try to find the graphics and sounds and then reattempt. if this won't work out I'll read this pretty long debate.
I'll soon report if my endeavours were crowned with success.

So long!
I have all the files needed for the ME mod here (Just scroll down the page a bit)
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Quote:Install Diablo, patch it up to 1.07, throw the .exe file in the same folder with that installation (or use the .dat version). But Middle Earth mod also uses graphics and sounds that are not found on the Diablo CD, so you need to make sure you have downloaded those and put them in the right folder, too.

More specifically, download the relevant sound and graphics files (be sure you have them all, there are two zips of graphics and one of sounds) and unzip them into C:\Diablo (or wherever you installed the game.)

I got the same errors you did trying the DAT (albeit in English, not German), but the .exe version worked. You can get around this by making copies of clean Diablo installations if you want to play other mods.