I have been playing with my wii...
I just got a Wii for an early birthday/late Christmas present and have been really enjoying it. The family came over this past weekend and of course had a blast with Wii Sports, and even my dad got into some of the tennis tournaments. Super Mario Galaxy (the only other game I've got for it ATM) is the most fun I've had playing a Mario title. Pretty much every stage has me going "wow, awesome!"

What other games are recommended? I was browsing a few review lists and it looks like there is a huge amount of crap games for the system. I plan on picking up Zelda: Twilight Princess of course, and Excite Truck looks like fun (I'm a sucker for arcade racers). Other than that and SSB:B coming down the pipe, there doesn't look like there's a huge library of AAA titles yet.

Oh! I heard Endess Ocean is fun in a super-relaxed way. At $30 new, I will have to pick that one up soon.
We have a Wii in the house, but it's not hooked up to the projector. The reason? No good games. It's sad to say it, but I think the complete and utter disaster that was the Gamecube is one of the main reasons why the Wii isn't seeing more AAA-titles at this point. Developers were wary of developing a game for a system's console that might have to endure the same fate as its predecessor.

Hopefully, with the millions and millions of Wiis now sitting patiently in people's living rooms all across the world, we'll start to see some decent titles coming out.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles. Not because I'm a huge fan of the genre (rail shooter), but because it retells the entire Resident Evil-saga.

Squeeeeeeee!!

I'm also wondering if No more heroes is as good as Gamespot says it is.

Other than those two games, I really wouldn't recommend anything yet. Enjoy Wii sports. (Oh and Guitar Hero 3 if you haven't picked it up for another platform). People will also probably recommend Metroid Prime, but I've never played a single installment of the series myself, so I couldn't vouch for it.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:What other games are recommended? I was browsing a few review lists and it looks like there is a huge amount of crap games for the system. I plan on picking up Zelda: Twilight Princess of course, and Excite Truck looks like fun (I'm a sucker for arcade racers). Other than that and SSB:B coming down the pipe, there doesn't look like there's a huge library of AAA titles yet.

Oh! I heard Endess Ocean is fun in a super-relaxed way. At $30 new, I will have to pick that one up soon.

Check out Super Paper Mario, Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, Wario Ware and Metroid Prime. I haven't played Excite Truck but everyone keeps telling me how fun it it. Link's Crossbow Training is a steal at the $20 price point. The only other Wii game I have is Blazing Angels, which I bought because a store had it in a bargain bin for $7.50. It's okay, but probably not worth paying the full retail price.

I got Endless Ocean the other day and it's a lot of fun. It's the most relaxing game I've ever played. You go scuba diving and just wander around to some really relaxing tunes. You are given "quests" to go on like finding a certain marine animal or exploring a certain area, but you can just wander around and do what you want. Endless Ocean is a lot more fun than it probably should be. I highly recommend it.

I'm not much of a fighting game fan so Smash Brothers doesn't do anything for me, but I'm looking forward to Mario Kart and the Ghostbusters game that is in the works.
This ALMOST makes me want a Wii.

--me
Quote:This ALMOST makes me want a Wii.

--me

THAT technology has been around for ages... You can buy a pair of 3D glasses (no, not the red/blue ones) which connect to your computer, and dig this, you can have multiple pair so more than one person can see what your seeing in 3D. Furthermore, this technology can be applied to your home entertainment system for watching DVD's. Haven't heard of this yet? I've already had a pair which broke. Check Stereo Vision on google. Nvidia video cards support it, but don't come with the glasses.

Check it out!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Angel' date='Jan 29 2008, 08:18 AM' post='143150']
We have a Wii in the house, but it's not hooked up to the projector. The reason? No good games. It's sad to say it, but I think the complete and utter disaster that was the Gamecube is one of the main reasons why the Wii isn't seeing more AAA-titles at this point. Developers were wary of developing a game for a system's console that might have to endure the same fate as its predecessor.

Hopefully, with the millions and millions of Wiis now sitting patiently in people's living rooms all across the world, we'll start to see some decent titles coming out.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles. Not because I'm a huge fan of the genre (rail shooter), but because it retells the entire Resident Evil-saga.

Squeeeeeeee!!

I'm also wondering if No more heroes is as good as Gamespot says it is.

Other than those two games, I really wouldn't recommend anything yet. Enjoy Wii sports. (Oh and Guitar Hero 3 if you haven't picked it up for another platform). People will also probably recommend Metroid Prime, but I've never played a single installment of the series myself, so I couldn't vouch for it.

Karorinpa: Marble Mania is a fantastic Wii title you that touts the ability of the wii-mote very well, as does Geometry Wars. Both are multi-player. If your looking for Halo or the button-mashing fighter type games, your looking at the wrong system. Super Mario Galaxy reminds me almost exactly of Super Mario 64, one of the best Mario games of it's days. Metroid Prime is a great example of what an FPS can be on the wii, but why it's not multi-player in the day and ago of Halo, I'll never know; BIG disappointment there. Don't go looking just for games with all the glitz in them, because wii has some well hidden gems if you ask me.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:I'm not much of a fighting game fan so Smash Brothers doesn't do anything for me, but I'm looking forward to Mario Kart and the Ghostbusters game that is in the works.

Oh man, Luigi's Mansion was one of the funnest (and shortest) games I have ever played. I beat the game normal and with the mansion backwards twice.

Now if they make Ghostbusters like LM, and utilize the wii-mote, I just can't imagine how much fun this game will be. It boggles the mind.
Merlinios:

One of my flat mates discovered this and *had* to try. It was a bit tricky, but he got it working. It was really interesting to see.:)Can't wait to see if they can implement this technieque in game development.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:THAT technology has been around for ages... You can buy a pair of 3D glasses (no, not the red/blue ones)...

It's not just a 3D display. The link I posted has a tracking function--IE if you move to the left of your TV, the display will shift as though the "camera" viewing the TV has moved with you. So you could, say, peek behind a wall, simply by moving your head.

--me
Quote:THAT technology has been around for ages... You can buy a pair of 3D glasses (no, not the red/blue ones) which connect to your computer, and dig this, you can have multiple pair so more than one person can see what your seeing in 3D. Furthermore, this technology can be applied to your home entertainment system for watching DVD's. Haven't heard of this yet? I've already had a pair which broke. Check Stereo Vision on google. Nvidia video cards support it, but don't come with the glasses.

Check it out!
Sorry, but that youtube video does not show stereo vision, but head-tracking. That's different. In that video the screen acts like a window into a virtual room. You can move that window by moving your head. Stereo vision cannot react to the movements of your head. In fact when you move your head you notice how fake stereo vision really is.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
Quote:It's not just a 3D display. The link I posted has a tracking function--IE if you move to the left of your TV, the display will shift as though the "camera" viewing the TV has moved with you. So you could, say, peek behind a wall, simply by moving your head.

--me

Humm, that is a very cool concept; the next step in truly integrated video game Virtual Realty I wonder? IMO stereo vision glasses produce a very similar result of the image in making the depth look truly 3D. Despite what Arnulf says, I beg to differ that images produced from stereo vision glasses look insanely 3D and seem to "come out at you" or very far away. There were times when playing Dungeon Siege that I had to stop because the trees seemed to be brushing my face. You can set the amount of 3D persepective to your liking; note that some people cannot see 3D very well at all - their eyes just cannot focus on it - while others like myself can set the 3D to almost maximum and still enjoy the immersive environment. They play 3D movies here in Santa Barbara one of our many local theaters from time to time; well worth the money. Arnulf is correct that you cannot turn your head and see the 3D effects... because you will be staring at the wall. All of my experiences with stereo vision glasses didn't matter if I moved around in my seat at lot, which I did when totally awed by what I was seeing and wanted to "look around," - very similar to the nintendo wii VR concept - the image stayed 3D and moved slightly as my head moved.

I like the whole idea of VR games, and I like the idea of stereo vision after having personally experienced it. While stereo vision is here and now, it will be exciting to see how and if this whole VR thing kicks off with the wii. Now having both VR and stereo vision in one gaming system would be too incredibly fun to believe.
There are at least two points in that video that truly demonstrate the difference that the head tracking adds to the stereo vision effect. One is the view of the stadium. As he moves in, the view expands, just as in approaching a real window. The one that really wowed me is when the front target passed his head and disappeared to the side/back. That is where the increased potential for immersion in a first person gaming world comes. Exciting.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
The technology is really great stuff. And actually it's already there on the PC.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_AO0F5sLdVM

And, although I'm going to sound like a nit-picking jerk here, I'm still going to say it's very different from stereo vision. Stereo vision relies on the fact that you have two eyes that see two (slightly different) pictures from the same scene. Each eye is fed one of these, and your brain combines them to the final scene.

The problem is, if you do not have two functioning eyes, like me, then this will fall flat. But head-tracking comes from a different angle and thus will still work for these people. Ok, ok, bad puns... I know. :rolleyes:
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
Quote:And, although I'm going to sound like a nit-picking jerk here,

No, I was the one that was out of place here. I apologize for my cynicism towards you. I did not realize that "head-tracking" works with only one eye. This is some amazing technology and very exciting stuff to look forward too ;), no doubt about it!
omg wtf bbq Super Smash Brothers Brawl

I played for about 2 hours today on my friend's copy. I refuse to buy it till after this week because I have two exams on Thursday. It is going to be a distraction... Forever.
Quote:omg wtf bbq Super Smash Brothers Brawl

I played for about 2 hours today on my friend's copy. I refuse to buy it till after this week because I have two exams on Thursday. It is going to be a distraction... Forever.

Your telling me! I've had this game reserved since freekin Oct. and it was delayed... twice! I've been working all day and just got home, but I plan on getting this game in the very near future, like maybe tommrow :D.
Diddy Kong for teh winz!
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. At least you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes." ~?

Stonemaul - Sneakybast, 51 Rogue
Terenas - Sneaksmccoy, 1 Rogue

Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!
Quote:Diddy Kong for teh winz!

Phushaaaa.... GO GO MARIO KART!!!! I already have mine reserved. :D
Quote:I just got a Wii for an early birthday/late Christmas present and have been really enjoying it. The family came over this past weekend and of course had a blast with Wii Sports, and even my dad got into some of the tennis tournaments. Super Mario Galaxy (the only other game I've got for it ATM) is the most fun I've had playing a Mario title. Pretty much every stage has me going "wow, awesome!"

What other games are recommended? I was browsing a few review lists and it looks like there is a huge amount of crap games for the system. I plan on picking up Zelda: Twilight Princess of course, and Excite Truck looks like fun (I'm a sucker for arcade racers). Other than that and SSB:B coming down the pipe, there doesn't look like there's a huge library of AAA titles yet.

Go buy Zack & Wiki.
Quote:Diddy Kong for teh winz!

Marth, my man, Marth.