The Horrible Effect of Parry
Code:
4/30 20:15:38.515  Gruul the Dragonkiller misses Tank.
4/30 20:15:39.437  Tank's Heroic Strike was parried by Gruul the Dragonkiller.
4/30 20:15:39.453  Hurtful Tank is afflicted by Cave In.
4/30 20:15:39.453  Rogue 1 is afflicted by Cave In.
4/30 20:15:39.453  Rogue 2 is afflicted by Cave In.
4/30 20:15:39.453  Rogue 3 is afflicted by Cave In.
4/30 20:15:39.468  Rogue 4 is afflicted by Cave In.
4/30 20:15:39.468  Feralol is afflicted by Cave In.
4/30 20:15:39.468  Fury War is afflicted by Cave In.
4/30 20:15:40.031  Gruul the Dragonkiller hits Tank for 3882. (403 blocked)
4/30 20:15:41.062  Tank attacks. Gruul the Dragonkiller parries.
4/30 20:15:41.609  Gruul the Dragonkiller hits Tank for 5277. (403 blocked)
4/30 20:15:41.968  Fury War attacks. Gruul the Dragonkiller parries.
4/30 20:15:42.031  Tank's Shield Slam was parried by Gruul the Dragonkiller.
4/30 20:15:42.140  Fury War's Sunder Armor was parried by Gruul the Dragonkiller.
4/30 20:15:42.140  Rogue 1's Sinister Strike was parried by Gruul the Dragonkiller.
4/30 20:15:42.265  Fury War attacks. Gruul the Dragonkiller parries.
4/30 20:15:42.281  Rogue 3 attacks. Gruul the Dragonkiller parries.
4/30 20:15:42.390  Gruul the Dragonkiller hits Tank for 4549. (403 blocked)
4/30 20:15:42.671  Tank's Heroic Strike was parried by Gruul the Dragonkiller.
4/30 20:15:43.484  Tank dies.
This log exerpt from an actual Gruul raid shows how terrible things get when attacks from raid bosses are parried. When a mob parries your attack, its next attack is sped up via a haste modifier. I'm not sure how well-known this is to your average WoW player. It's why it's crucial that melee DPS always remains behind a raid boss (where attacks cannot be parried), because being in front can literally kill your main tank. In the above log, a cave-in causes all the melee to run around to the front of Gruul...and parries result.

Looking at the combat log, you can see the time differential of attacks.

Attack 1: 40.031
Attack 2: 41.609 (1.578 seconds later)
Attack 3: 42.390 (0.781 seconds later)

Total: 13,688 damage in 2.359 seconds, shorter than the casting time of a Priest's greater heal.

Gruul's attack was sped up from around 1.5 seconds to about half that due to multiple parries from both the tank, some rogues, and a fury warrior. The melee DPS literally killed the tank. Don't think that extra 0.8 seconds doesn't matter; ask any healer how often a target dies with "milliseconds left on my heal."

Healers need to watch out for those dodge/parry/miss Strings of Doom. It's why tanks can go for seemingly ages without getting hit and then suddenly get *destroyed*. When you see that happening, it's time to get even more aggressive, rather than the tendency to do the opposite. "Oh, he's not getting hit, lol, this is easy."

Melee DPS needs to recognize that if they are hitting a raid boss and it is parrying them, they are contributing to a potential wipe. This falls into the "it's not always the healers' fault, you know" thing. :)

Hunters must realize that if they use pets against a boss, this also contributes to the problem! A parry from a pet attack is the same as from a character. It's not that pets are "illegal" for use, it's that the Hunter must be very aware of their pet's location relative to a raid boss' position.

Food for thought.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Very interesting. Thanks, Bolty.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
That's scary.

Of course, assuming he has a 5% parry chance (most mobs have base 5%, right?) the chance of that happening is really small. 1.953e-12 small:whistling:

Thanks for the heads up, though. I've never thought of that.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Quote:Of course, assuming he has a 5% parry chance (most mobs have base 5%, right?) the chance of that happening is really small. 1.953e-12 small:whistling:

:huh:

It's actually a very large chance. Each and every attack will have a 1/20 chance of triggering a parry. The attack roll is just one roll on a chart to get the outcome, the game doesn't roll them seperately for miss, dodge, block, parry, etc. Having a 20% miss chance for example doesn't overwrite also still having a 5% chance to be parried.

Now consider most melee with dual wields and instant attacks can pound out around 40-60 attacks a minute. (A feral cat due to 1.0 speed auto without the dual wield miss rate can put out around 80 attacks a minute :P). Thats basically 1/20 chance every second per melee person to trigger a parry. If you have 5 people in there doing it... pray for the tank.

Bosses also have instant attacks that they can put out on top of their auto attacks just like players on cooldowns. So if you're triggering parries as above and it has instants.. you can see a situation where the tank drops dead instantly no matter what the healers are doing. Regular attack, instant, regular attack again .5s later due to parry, Dead.

The biggest time this happens is when people are attacking large bosses from the side. They don't realize that even though it looks like they are behind the are actually not. Rogues and feral druids can tell easily because you go to hit a backstab or shred and receive the 'You are not behind your target' error. Warriors... well.. pick a smart rogue who backstabs to follow. :D
Quote:Warriors... well.. pick a smart rogue who backstabs to follow. :D

Hence why it was an important maxim for dps warriors to line up with Quark.:)
Quote:Hunters must realize that if they use pets against a boss, this also contributes to the problem! A parry from a pet attack is the same as from a character. It's not that pets are "illegal" for use, it's that the Hunter must be very aware of their pet's location relative to a raid boss' position.
-Bolty

In many fights this isn't as hard as it might seem either. If the pet ends up not on the side or behind you can just tell it to stay. Shift your position tell it follow send it back in. It does not need to get all the way back to you either since it will beeline to you and beeline back so you can change position pretty fast. The issue is that while you can move and not delay an autoshot if you stop in time you can't fire steady on the move. But when a beast hunter pet can push over 200 DPS you learn how to deal with it. You also want the pet behind the boss anyway to up it's damage to avoid the blocks and parries anyway.

And with a lot of bosses tanked with the warrior having his back to the wall and the boss facing away from the raid anyway it's not too big a deal.

But yes hunters should pay attention to it. Hunters are very micro intensive this is another aspect, though I do wish Blizzard would make the pet a bit smarter on this issue to cut down on some of the micro.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote::huh:

It's actually a very large chance. Each and every attack will have a 1/20 chance of triggering a parry. The attack roll is just one roll on a chart to get the outcome, the game doesn't roll them seperately for miss, dodge, block, parry, etc. Having a 20% miss chance for example doesn't overwrite also still having a 5% chance to be parried.
I counted 9 attacks parried in a row. The chance of that happening is 0.05^9. Assuming he has 5% Parry.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Quote:I counted 9 attacks parried in a row. The chance of that happening is 0.05^9. Assuming he has 5% Parry.

I think you misunderstand the situation. It is not solely the tank's attacks. In this case a bunch of people were all melee dpsing from the same side as the tank and Gruul parried 9 out of dozens of attacks.
Quote:I think you misunderstand the situation. It is not solely the tank's attacks. In this case a bunch of people were all melee dpsing from the same side as the tank and Gruul parried 9 out of dozens of attacks.

Depends on whether the combat log was edited or not. We know that were 9 parries in a short period of time, but the actual number of successful attacks in the that same 4 second period is unknown.

Next question: Is this behaviour universal or limited to just Gruul? One combat log from a single encounter isn't conclusive evidence. (Unless this feature had been added recently I would have thought it would have been noticed much much earlier).

The first sentence of Bolty's post should also be edited to clarify that the issue is parries by the boss on player attacks, and not parries by players on the boss's attacks. (I'm sure he meant the former but it read like the latter).

Chris
Quote:Next question: Is this behaviour universal or limited to just Gruul? One combat log from a single encounter isn't conclusive evidence. (Unless this feature had been added recently I would have thought it would have been noticed much much earlier).

It applies to all parries by all entities, and has been known for at least a year (the behaviour was first documented in the early Naxx days). Players parrying get their attack speed increased, bosses parrying get their attack speed increased. It's why Parry rating has always cost more than Dodge rating (even in the earliest WoW 1.00, 1% parry clearly cost more than 1% dodge - see Hyzenthlei's original formulas).
Why is the Fury Warrior using Sunder Armor?
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:Why is the Fury Warrior using Sunder Armor?

Back in the original BWL days, Horde guilds trying Broodlord were having issues with the deaggro and had to maximize their threat generated. One way they did this was by handing off the Sunder Armor duties to a DPS warrior, which allowed the tanks to focus on attacks that had higher threat per rage.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:Depends on whether the combat log was edited or not.
Oh, it's definitely edited. Peoples' names are removed and the log was trimmed to show the number of parries that came in. Yes, there were other successful attacks on Gruul during the log timeframe.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:Why is the Fury Warrior using Sunder Armor?

Might be trying to trigger an overpower if he's two handed fury.
Quote:Might be trying to trigger an overpower if he's two handed fury.
Hamstring would be better for this, though, less rage, and does damage.
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
Quote:Hamstring would be better for this, though, less rage, and does damage.

It would.
Quote:Back in the original BWL days, Horde guilds trying Broodlord were having issues with the deaggro and had to maximize their threat generated. One way they did this was by handing off the Sunder Armor duties to a DPS warrior, which allowed the tanks to focus on attacks that had higher threat per rage.

Yeah, Sunder isn't a high priority for the main tank to get up quickly, so sometimes people will help finish the 5-stack for maximum melee DPS. The main tank is more concerned with high-threat moves, and keeping shield block up. The tank can hold aggro better if another warrior finishes the sunder stack, and they can do even more TPS if someone keeps imp thunderclap and imp demo shout up, too.

As far as the threat issue of sundering by someone other than the maintank, it shouldn't be a problem, as revenge/shield slam > sunder by a large margin, especially with the threat modifiers on def stance vs battle/zerk.
--Mav
Besides, if someone else does Sunders, the MT can start Devastating much faster.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
And you'd want to Devastate why? :whistling:

I'll take mine dry, waiter.
~Frag B)
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Quote:Besides, if someone else does Sunders, the MT can build threat much faster.

Fixed.

The only person in that situation who would want sunders up to use Devastate might be a 2nd prot war who is DPSing, for whatever reason, whether they just came off an add, or they were just an extra. I mainly only use Devastate for DPS/some solo situations, not much for tanking. Heroic Strike isn't on the GCD, Devastate is, so if I have the rage to use Devastate, I'm usually using it to stack Heroic Strike on top of everything else, instead. One use I do have for it when tanking is to hit it often enough to keep the sunder stack up.

A full stack of sunders does help melee DPS and hunter DPS, so it's a good thing to have up, but if the tank doesn't need to worry about it, that's more threat they can build.

--Mav