I miss Mr. Rogers
[Image: mister_rogers.jpg]

The folks over at mentalfloss.com wrote an article about Mr. Rogers. They give a good list of reasons why he was such an incredible person while he was alive. I found it interesting to learn things I never knew, like the fact that he wrote all of the songs for the show. It's a quick read, and I think it's worth a thread.

I have many fond memories of that trolly, the sweaters, and the mailman. And I remember my uncle telling me about running into Mr. Rogers at a grocery store. He said he was exactly like he was on television, and one of the kindest most genuine people he's ever met.

So here's a cheers to Mr. Rogers, a man many of us surely loved.

Cheers,

Munk
He wore long sweaters all the time because he had so many tats from being in the Marine Corps.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
RofL@ the car bit.

"Oh dear, we stole Mr. Roger's car!"
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Quote:He wore long sweaters all the time because he had so many tats from being in the Marine Corps.

That's true. He had a tat for every man he killed. Anytime anyone answered 'no' to won't you be my neighbor... it was lights out.

Cheers,

Munk
Trolley and the whole "Kingdom of Make-Believe" thing messed with my mind when I was a kid. It was a crash-course in grasping the concept of parallel realities for me, a subject that I've had "issues" with ever since then.

One of my earliest childhood paranoias was the fear that, every time I turned a corner around a building, I was actually entering an alternate reality that merely looked like home, and the only way to get back was to make sure I turned the corner in the opposite direction some time soon.

Turning corners = Trolley running along that curving track. See the connection?

If I successfully invent a transdimensional-warp cataract projector, I'll have to dedicate it to Fred Rogers— right before the first wave of bloodthirsty demons break into the physical plane.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Quote:Trolley and the whole "Kingdom of Make-Believe" thing messed with my mind when I was a kid.

I always heard it as "Kingdom of Maple Leaf", which for me meant Canada. It looked nothing like where I lived :angry:
Quote:I always heard it as "Kingdom of Maple Leaf", which for me meant Canada. It looked nothing like where I lived :angry:

Canada? I worked in the Kingdom of Make-believe; I knew the people of Make-Believe. Canada, you're no kingdom of Make-Believe.

:P
Quote:One of my earliest childhood paranoias was the fear that, every time I turned a corner around a building, I was actually entering an alternate reality that merely looked like home, and the only way to get back was to make sure I turned the corner in the opposite direction some time soon.

I don't think I could handle something like that as a kid. Heck, the only dillusions I had to deal with was from playing outside too much. I had this odd feeling that any car that drove by would realize my incredible skills at all things related to sports (most notably Soccer, which I was indeed terrible at, and never played on a team), and wisk me away to play at a professional level.

It's definitely not the same thing. But I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Cheers,

Munk
Quote:I had this odd feeling that any car that drove by would realize my incredible skills at all things related to sports (most notably Soccer, which I was indeed terrible at, and never played on a team), and wisk me away to play at a professional level.

And I always had this odd feeling that any car that drove by would get hit by my golf balls. Although, that wasn't really delusional, as many of those balls did end up on the street or in the cornfield beyond. I really miss that big yard...

I don't miss mowing it so much though. Especially when you have to be on the lookout for buried golf balls.