John Rambo
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32721

I originally held of on posting this since AICN originally said it would be up for two days and I didn't feel like linking to something that would soon be dead, but we're on day four and it's still up... so whatever.

I thought Sly Stallone was kinda of a joke now because of the latest Rocky movie, but John Rambo looks frigging awesome. I am really looking forward to this movie. Nice work Sly.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
I saw this a few days ago and also considered posting a thread. There was some really awesome Rambo stuff in that trailer. He cuts a guy's head off with his giant knife, grabs a giant machine gun, and turns another guy into hamburger at point-blank range :w00t:

I'm just worried that the movie will be limited in these awesome action scenes. I want at least 3/4ths of the movie to be killing and blowing up stuff, but the trailer makes it look like most of the movie will be focused on Rambo's soul-searching :rolleyes:

Sorry Sly, as awesome as you were 20 years ago, I just don't think I could handle you in another action role. I can suspend my disbelief only so much.
He rips a dude's throat out and looks like more of a badass than he did during Rambo 3... how can this movie be bad? I am still waiting for Judge Dredd 2, though.

"I AM THE LAW." - Sly
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:He rips a dude's throat out and looks like more of a badass...

I agree. I'll take a ticket now.

Cheers,

Munk
Call me weird, but I don't get the "Yay, somebody died in a gruesome way, it's cool!" attitude.

I don't understand my own perception of the "OKness" of violence in movies too well, so feel free to bash me, but seeing a now bizarre looking Stallone take apart (literally) some Asian guys with gusto doesn't do it for me.

I kind of liked the first Rambo movie. It had a message.

Part two and three are utter crap, clichee heaped upon clichee to glorify the American Warrior Against Evil™.

If it's violent, let it be done like Starship Troopers (part one, mind you), with a meaning or message, something to think about. Not a brainless gorefest rehashing a "plot" that has been smelly for decades.

Opinion above based on the Rambo trailer and comments, so I might be totally wrong about the movie, though I doubt it.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Quote:Call me weird, but I don't get the "Yay, somebody died in a gruesome way, it's cool!" attitude.

Weird! :P

But more seriously, I don't think there's anything wrong with your opinions on violence. In fact, civilization as a whole would benefit much more from people like you.

Quote:Opinion above based on the Rambo trailer and comments, so I might be totally wrong about the movie, though I doubt it.

We'll have to wait and see. Stalone in his old age has become a bit more introspective. Rocky VI was much less about the small underdog getting in the ring and pounding the crap out of the bigger guy than the earlier films. The film focused more on the character of Rocky, and his revelations about the past. Of course there was the boxing match itself, but it didn't have the same feel as say Rocky II when he got in the ring with Apollo Creed for a rematch.

Like DeeBye mentioned, it's possible the trailer contains the bulk of the action (which could not be said for the earlier Rambo movies). Then again, it may just be another Rambo III.

I won't lie, I do hope it ends up more like Rambo III than Rocky VI. But I'm of a different persuation, I enjoy a good clean hard hit in football, rugby, lacrosse and hockey. And I love a good violent movie from time to time.

Cheers,

Munk
Quote:Weird! :P

I had that coming:)

Quote:In fact, civilization as a whole would benefit much more from people like you.

Oh my /blush
;)
But I'm afraid you are wrong here, another cynical pessimist would not benefit that much. Or would it...hmmm...

I have much to think about!
In a weird way, of course.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.