Anyone know how to "Find" in windows explorer?
When I use Firefox, I can Cntl-F to bring up a "Find" menu which allows me to find all instances of the word on the current page I am viewing. In Windows, there are some folder I have, such as family picture folders, music files, etc., in which I would like to search and highlight just the word as it appears on screen, not the file or file name or part of the file. When you try searching in windows explorer, it only searches for files, and the make matters worse, it searches the entire hard drive, not just the folder your in. I can't figure out how to add this "Find" function from the web browser to windows explorer, but I thought windows explorer was a glorified web browser anyways? Well, if anybody knows how to do this, I'd appreciate their input.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:When I use Firefox, I can Cntl-F to bring up a "Find" menu which allows me to find all instances of the word on the current page I am viewing. In Windows, there are some folder I have, such as family picture folders, music files, etc., in which I would like to search and highlight just the word as it appears on screen, not the file or file name or part of the file. When you try searching in windows explorer, it only searches for files, and the make matters worse, it searches the entire hard drive, not just the folder your in. I can't figure out how to add this "Find" function from the web browser to windows explorer, but I thought windows explorer was a glorified web browser anyways? Well, if anybody knows how to do this, I'd appreciate their input.

What Microsquish OS you using? In XP it allows you to search for type of file and via folder.
assuming XP:

click start
select search/for files or folders
ignore "search for files or folders named" box
enter text you want to find in box labeled "containing text" (can use wildcards)
on the drop down list labeled "look in" go all the way to the bottom of the list for "browse" - this will allow you to pick the drive and folder to look in

if this still doesn't locate the text, you might have to go one step further:

with the search window up, at the bottom of the search options box, you'll see a link to "indexing service" - click it - you don't need to turn the service on if you have it off - click on the advanced button - select the menu item action/properties - put a check next to "index files with unknown extensions" - you don't need to have the indexing service on but, apparently, the known file extensions still control what files are searched - doing this will make searches take longer because it will now search every file
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Ctrl - F or F3
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:assuming XP:

click start
ignore "search for files or folders named" box
enter text you want to find in box labeled "containing text" (can use wildcards)
on the drop down list labeled "look in" go all the way to the bottom of the list for "browse" - this will allow you to pick the drive and folder to look in

if this still doesn't locate the text, you might have to go one step further:

with the search window up, at the bottom of the search options box, you'll see a link to "indexing service" - click it - you don't need to turn the service on if you have it off - click on the advanced button - select the menu item action/properties - put a check next to "index files with unknown extensions" - you don't need to have the indexing service on but, apparently, the known file extensions still control what files are searched - doing this will make searches take longer because it will now search every file

Alright, that works, but it seems rather archaic compared to how easily web browsers can do it... And no highlight feature! I'm disappointed in Microsoft.

And yes, it's Windows XP SP-3.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Alright, that works, but it seems rather archaic compared to how easily web browsers can do it... And no highlight feature! I'm disappointed in Microsoft.

And yes, it's Windows XP SP-3.

As I stated below, F3 will bring up find/search.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:As I stated below, F3 will bring up find/search.
that just does the same thing as

Quote:click start
my understanding of the question was how to get the search to look inside files for text - the search built into windows is rather clumsy for the task, but can do it, and I'm sure there are other programs/utilities that would do it better (googled)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."