Ever run into something on the internet that weirds you out?
http://technience.com/2006/07/28/sleep-m...se-weight/

The article isn't the important part. The thing that freaked me out was the accompanying image.

[Image: fatpussysn9.jpg]

This is a picture of my (now deceased) cat that I took a couple of years ago. It was pretty odd seeing my cat featured on some random tech website. Now that I think about it, I think I only ever posted it here.

Also, my cat wasn't as overweight as the image suggests. She was rolling around on the carpet and I caught her in mid-roll.

Now I really miss my cat :(
Quote:http://technience.com/2006/07/28/sleep-m...se-weight/

The article isn't the important part. The thing that freaked me out was the accompanying image.

[Image: fatpussysn9.jpg]

This is a picture of my (now deceased) cat that I took a couple of years ago. It was pretty odd seeing my cat featured on some random tech website. Now that I think about it, I think I only ever posted it here.

Also, my cat wasn't as overweight as the image suggests. She was rolling around on the carpet and I caught her in mid-roll.

Now I really miss my cat :(

I wonder if you could get elicit some type of revenue from that website for use of your picture. You could demand to know "where" they got it from, and if they didn't have an answer for you, <chaching> :w00t:.

While I am being a bit silly, it would be interesting to find out where they got that picture from. You should email the web-admin and find out.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:I wonder if you could get elicit some type of revenue from that website for use of your picture. You could demand to know "where" they got it from, and if they didn't have an answer for you, <chaching> :w00t:.

No thanks. If the image was hosted on something like microsoft.com or cnn.com, I would likely change my tune. I don't think the good folks at technience.com have deep enough pockets and I really don't care enough to sue them.

Quote:While I am being a bit silly, it would be interesting to find out where they got that picture from. You should email the web-admin and find out.

I'm thinking about doing this, but not knowing is kinda fun. I think I'll leave it as-is for now.

Here are the other pictures I took of my cat while she was doing her rollover.

[Image: doc5pi1.jpg]
[Image: doc6ev6.jpg]
Heiho,

maybe you've followed some recent discussions about the silly web2.0 hype and how careless people are handling their private data now regarding myspace, youtube, flickr and the lot.
What even the few people actually concerned about their private data always miss in those discussions is the fact, that in 'Ancient Times Before Web2.0 Hype' you also didn't know who may more or less accidentially have stumbled over something you've published somewhere in an environment you thought of as 'semi-private'. *

The 'internet' is public space. Even if you've erased all your data and bombed all your ex-ISPs to oblivion there's still the webarchieve and wayback machine engines, google cache and whatever means allowing you to find stuff if you invest enough patience.

* ... really a deja vu like some ten years ago ...
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
Quote:This is a picture of my (now deceased) cat that I took a couple of years ago. It was pretty odd seeing my cat featured on some random tech website. Now that I think about it, I think I only ever posted it here.
Ah, but everything posted here legally BELONGS TO ME! All your post are belong to me! Or something.

*calls lawyers to make a buck*

I'm sure the court case would last at least 4 minutes before being thrown out...

Sorry about your cat, though. I'd suspect they just Google Image searched for cat pictures and nailed yours or something. Google caches everything in finds in this forum, as I often get links to posts here when searching for Diablo/WoW stuff.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Heiho,

Quote:Ah, but everything posted here legally BELONGS TO ME! All your post are belong to me! Or something.
you know, the last board admin confronting me with such a message was indeed faced by about 3000 emptied postings of my authorship few days later ;-)

Of course this won't happen to you. Mainly since I didn't do 3000 postings here ;-D
so long ...
librarian

Diablo II FAQtoids
Quote:Heiho,
you know, the last board admin confronting me with such a message was indeed faced by about 3000 emptied postings of my authorship few days later ;-)

Of course this won't happen to you. Mainly since I didn't do 3000 postings here ;-D

You must have been very angry with that person. :o I am trying to think how much time it would have taken to go and delete 3000 posts.... :unsure:
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Quote:I'm sure the court case would last at least 4 minutes before being thrown out...

Hah. I bet I can force a mistrial in less than four minutes.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:The article isn't the important part. The thing that freaked me out was the accompanying image.

What freaks me out is that you somehow managed to come across this image...:)

Quote:you know, the last board admin confronting me with such a message was indeed faced by about 3000 emptied postings of my authorship few days later ;-)
I can't imagine a board admin being that shortsighted. Claiming that you legally own every post on a board is insanely dangerous for any admin, because it means that the admins are now responsible for the board's content. This opens them up to lawsuits. Deleting 3000 of your posts? The moron deserved it.

There's a reason why any company or corporate forum has lots of disclaimers saying that they're not responsible for the content posted there. It's so if some idiot poster puts something up that's illegal (like death threats or whatever), and an admin doesn't remove it, the admin's not legally responsible for its repercussions. For instance, all the spammers we've had here over the past year - if you downloaded a virus off of one of their links and it thrashed your computer, you could try to hold me legally responsible, since I own the content, right? Ouch, no thanks.

So trust me, I was joking about the legal ownership thing. :) In fact, check out the "legal" area of the main site and you'll see that I consider all authors legally responsible for the content hosted and the posts they make. Muhahahaha.

Except Deebye. He's not responsible for anything, cause he's weird like that and posts funny pictures and things.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:Except Deebye. He's not responsible for anything, cause he's weird like that and posts funny pictures and things.

-Bolty

Thanks DeeBye :)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Quote:Except Deebye. He's not responsible for anything, cause he's weird like that and posts funny pictures and things.

This is awesome news.

-Bolty

I'm not so sure about that. I keep getting an odd sensation when reading his posts, like there's something secretly rewireing my brain. But I can't really put my finger on it, it's almost...subliminal.

:ph34r:

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Heiho,

Quote:I can't imagine a board admin being that shortsighted. Claiming that you legally own every post on a board is insanely dangerous for any admin, because it means that the admins are now responsible for the board's content. This opens them up to lawsuits.

I'm fully aware of that side, and there're lots of lawyers around here specializing in exactly bringing that kind of trouble to you. There's more than one reason for me having only Mail as 'user interactivity' at my own page, but this belongs to the most important ones.

The argument went about the implementation of script-generated advertising into user-generated content aka postings. And, to loop back to what I wrote earlier, the mentioned admin was not aware that some people do (even) more reading than writing, since that comment wasn't directed to me ...

Quote:So trust me, I was joking about the legal ownership thing.
no worries :-)
so long ...
librarian

Diablo II FAQtoids
Quote:I'm not so sure about that. I keep getting an odd sensation when reading his posts, like there's something secretly rewireing my brain. But I can't really put my finger on it, it's almost...subliminal.

You weren't supposed to notice that.
The entire internet weirds me out, to be completely honest.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:You weren't supposed to notice that.

Oh my god, I bet I'm on some list now.

/flee

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Quote:Oh my god, I bet I'm on some list now.

/flee

take care
Tarabulus
Ah, yes. According to my Narus "Semantic Traffic Analyzer" reports you are on a list.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Ah, yes. According to my Narus "Semantic Traffic Analyzer" reports you are on a list.

I googled it up and am now very afraid:(

take care
Tarabulus

I'll remember you.
Hello, I know it has been a long time since this article was first posted here, but I found you while doing a google search (apparently this site is higher rated then my articles are). Sorry I brought back horrible old memories, and I have lost beloved pets in the past and it is always sad. I found the image through a good image search back when I wrote the article. If you want to contact me, use the contact page on the technience.com website. Sorry again.