Tips on Scanning
I can't help but feel that I'm missing some of these items that are (probably) dropping from monsters. Do any of you vets out there have any advice on how to make sure you're not missing anything? Obviously I've noticed that having the sound effects up nice and clear helps, especially for rings and amulets, but especially when I'm playing my sorcerer and killing lots of monsters quickly, it's hard to know how much loot on the ground I'm just completely missing. I do try to sort of scan every area after a big battle with my mouse, just moving back and forth seeing if anything highlights, but do you guys have any other advice?

Thanks.
<span style="color:#D1BC94">A legit Diablo I <strike>player</strike> newbie always looking for a partner or two.<!--/sizec-->

<span style="color:#E8E8E8">Battle.net accounts: <span style="color:#CCCCCC">(all East)<!--/sizec-->
[Image: lurkerline.gif]
<span style="color:#D1BC94">YoungHawkins<!--/sizec--> <span style="color:#B4B4B4"> | <span style="color:#AEAEAE">Level 21 Warrior<!--/sizec-->
<span style="color:#D1BC94">MrB<!--/sizec--> <span style="color:#B4B4B4"> | <span style="color:#AEAEAE">Level 24 Mage<!--/sizec-->
<span style="color:#D1BC94">PotatoB<!--/sizec--> <span style="color:#B4B4B4"> | <span style="color:#AEAEAE">Mule<!--/sizec-->

<span style="color:#E8E8E8">My Unique items: <span style="color:#CCCCCC">(6 of 80)<!--/sizec-->
<span style="color:#D1BC94">Torn Flesh of Souls, Leather of Aut, The Cranium Basher, Fool's Crest, The Bonesaw, The Grandfather<!--/sizec-->
I feel like I notice almost all drops when I'm playing with my sound. As you said, rings and amulets make a distinctive cling, as do all items, actually, to a lesser extent. Generally you can just look quickly and see any large items. It's rare that an item's graphic will be obscured by the terrain.

I was hoping your post was talking about a different kind of scanning, but alas, no. =D
Quote:I feel like I notice almost all drops when I'm playing with my sound. As you said, rings and amulets make a distinctive cling, as do all items, actually, to a lesser extent. Generally you can just look quickly and see any large items. It's rare that an item's graphic will be obscured by the terrain.

I was hoping your post was talking about a different kind of scanning, but alas, no. =D

Okay. I guess it's my damn music I listen to as I play. But I can't do without that! :(
<span style="color:#D1BC94">A legit Diablo I <strike>player</strike> newbie always looking for a partner or two.<!--/sizec-->

<span style="color:#E8E8E8">Battle.net accounts: <span style="color:#CCCCCC">(all East)<!--/sizec-->
<span style="color:#D1BC94">YoungHawkins<!--/sizec--> <span style="color:#B4B4B4"> | <span style="color:#AEAEAE">Level 21 Warrior<!--/sizec-->
<span style="color:#D1BC94">MrB<!--/sizec--> <span style="color:#B4B4B4"> | <span style="color:#AEAEAE">Level 24 Mage<!--/sizec-->
<span style="color:#D1BC94">PotatoB<!--/sizec--> <span style="color:#B4B4B4"> | <span style="color:#AEAEAE">Mule<!--/sizec-->

<span style="color:#E8E8E8">My Unique items: <span style="color:#CCCCCC">(6 of 80)<!--/sizec-->
<span style="color:#D1BC94">Torn Flesh of Souls, Leather of Aut, The Cranium Basher, Fool's Crest, The Bonesaw, The Grandfather<!--/sizec-->
Keep the gamma turned up and watch every monster you kill for things falling. Mousing around never hurts either when a giant crowd gets slaughtered ;-)
Quote:I can't help but feel that I'm missing some of these items that are (probably) dropping from monsters. [...]

Hi, you seem to do the same things like me: listening and waiting for the wounderful *pling* and maybe other sounds (Almara has mentioned it: Different item classes make different sounds while dropping.), looking around dead monsters and sometimes counting how much jewlery lies on the ground (in big battles). Unfortunately gold is the thing I visually recognize best. Important is to catch all the blue (or even golden:)) items from the boss monsters and luckily the place of their death bodies is highlighted. As you already know, a monster drops one item at most (except Na-Krul and maybe some few others). Sometimes while walking through the dungeon I find items that I have overlooked. Last thing: I think that zooming is not necessary.

Spelunker

EDIT: Well, and I look for items "behind" high walls but I think it's enough to do that while walking. You don't have to take an extra lap through the dungeon level.
Just kind of wave your mouse around in the general area of slaughtered monster bodies. Make sure you find the one item from every boss (should be very easy to do since the bosses are different color from the others, although it could be a spell book instead of an item), and make sure that if you hear the sound of jewelry, you spend the time to hunt it down. Otherwise, don't waste too terribly much time looking for items you missed. Jewelry is more important to find because it is always magical, and you can't buy it in town.
Quote:Jewelry is more important to find because it is always magical, and you can't buy it in town.
You're forgetting that some people do still play Single Player.;)
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Quote:You're forgetting that some people do still play Single Player.;)

Buying items in single player is for newbies and wimps. :shuriken:
Quote:<strike>Buying items in</strike> single player is for newbies and wimps.
Fixed.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields