Diablo [PaiN] Variant! - no healing, Team variant
Hey guys, as we all know, Diablo isn't as active as it used to be, but there is a variant that seems to bring people from all gateways together. Here are the rule of [PaiN], copied from the Legit Diablo Forum (found on www.diablo-forum.de.vu):

Quote Hariel:

"Hi guys, here are the official rules for the variant that I came up with, as well as a list of the currently active [PaiN] players:

~ Rules:

I. Only way to heal a living character is either with

1. HEAL OTHER SPELL,
2. HEAL OTHER STAFF, or
3. LEVEL UP.

(NO OTHER METHOD OF HEALING IS ALLOWED - no shrines, fountains, items of blood, HoS, Healing spell, healing pots, rejuv. pots etc.)

--------------

II. All town services EXCEPT for HEAL AT PEPIN are ALLOWED:

1. IDENTIFY AT CAIN
2. REPAIR AT GRIS
3. BUY/SELL ITEMS FROM GRIS/ADRIA/WIRT
4. RECHARGE STAVES AT ADRIA
5. FLIRT WIRT GILLIAN :/
6. STEAL FARNHAM'S WINE :/

--------------

III. There are a few SPELLS that are NOT ALLOWED:

1. HEALING
2. STONE CURSE
3. MANA SHIELD
4. ELEMENTAL
5. FIREBALL
6. CHAIN LIGHTNING
7. GUARDIAN
8. GOLEM
9. APOCALYPSE SCROLL OR STAFF
10. NOVA SCROLL OR STAFF

Any other spells are allowed as actual spells, staves or scrolls.

--------------

IV. There are only a few shrines that ARE ALLOWED:

- ABANDONED
- CREEPY
- QUIET
- EERIE
- HIDDEN
- ENCHANTED

--------------

V. There are a few Illegal types of items:

You CANNOT use:

1. any item with LIFE LEECH.
2. any item with -LIGHT RADIUS.
3. any scrolls of the forbidden spells (see section III.)

--------------

VI. Definition of PURITY of characters:

1. NO ITEMS CAN BE TAKEN FROM NORMAL CHARS TO [PaiN] CHARS. ONLY [PaiN] CHARS CAN SUPPLY OTHERS WITH ITEMS.

2. THIS IS NOT AN ULTRA-PURE VARIANT, NEITHER IS IT a LoL VARIANT (Living off the Land). YOU CAN BUY AND REPAIR/RECHARGE ITEMS AT WIRT, GRIS AND ADRIA.

3. MULING IS ALLOWED BETWEEN [PaiN] CHARS.

--------------

VII. Death situations:

1. THE OPTION 'Restart in town' IS FORBIDDEN.

2. IF YOU DIE, YOU CAN EITHER BE RESSURECTED OR YOU HAVE TO SELECT THE 'New game' OPTION AND LEAVE YOUR ITEMS BEHIND.

3. IF ALL OF THE PLAYERS IN THE GAME ARE DEAD, THEY MUST ALL LEAVE THE GAME AND ITEMS BEHIND.

4. IF YOU DIE ON LEVEL 16, YOU STILL HAVE TO BE RESSURECTED OR CHOOSE THE 'New game' option.

--------------

That's pretty much it, but I would like to add a few other notes that came up with practical experience of playing the variant:

- If you drink a cauldron or take an illegal shrine by accident after you're level 10+, do not make a new character, but rules are there for a reason and this only applies if you really did it by accident. Otherwise, if you're a low level, you should make a new character.

- If you play solo, there is an issue that I can't work around. It has to do with the fact that if you have life-boosting items equipped, if you leave a game at low health and re-enter, you will notice that your life goes up, which is a form of healing. This I can't change and it is up to you to keep discipline and not use this to your advantage. [PaiN] is meant to be a team-variant and not a variant of getting respect for something while you're actually just using shortcuts in the game (as in this case).

- There are absolutely no limitations to how you play the game in terms of movement and team tactics. You DO NOT have to clear all levels...you can start wherever you want, move freely...there is no rules forbidding horizontal walking or trapping Butcher behind stairs or a grid...none of that is forbidden in the Variant and it is totally up to you.

**** If I remember something else, I will definately update the rules. If you have any questions, feel free to reply. And here is the current list of [PaiN] chars that you will mostly find in Diable LE on the Us.east server:

Astala[Pain]
Demi[Pain]
Zen[Pain]
Andar[Pain]
Zimmorion[Pain]
Corupt[Pain]
Crypt[Pain]
Levi[Pain]
Clov[Pain]
Cleric[Pain]
Flag[Pain]

There are another 3-4 players who will start their own [Pain] chars in the following days...

You can ask any of these players that this is a variant full of action, co-operation, sometimes competition and whatever else you might want for a fun Co-op style variant. Try it!

- Hariel aka Astala/Zen/Andar - [PaiN]"

The variant is mostly active on Us.east channel Diablo Le. If you're interested, pay a visit to the channel and ask around for the variant, or even try it yourself!

Thanks for reading
Inspiration is the key.
Looks good! Not many variants successfully encourage close cooperation, but this one seems to force the hand. Some of the rules seem a bit random and unrelated to the theme (why so few shrines allowed?), but the gameplay looks like it would work out pretty nicely. I imagine heal other, firewall, and lightning would be pretty popular spells? A crafty mage could find several valid uses for bone spirit here. And it might be worth the 50 cents to see if Wirt has a cap of the whale.
It's a good idea, but I'm not a fan. I hate having to rely on a teamate to come through for you, and it just seems to make the game more arduous, not really more challenging. Sorry. =o
Two new chars today:

Tk[Pain] - rogue
Awkward[Pain] - mage

Thanks for the replies people.

To Nystul:

Yeah, I know it seems abit strange that only those shrines are allowed, but there is a reason for that - I haven't looked through all the shrines, and I think it seems easier to note the shrines that CAN be used, since they are the ones most popular and known. If I were to go into the shrines who cast MS on you, or heal you or any other effect that would clash with the variant, I would have to name them and mostly people (like me right now) can't identify their names...also hard to remember which ones not to use, so I thought this would be simpler.

To Alamara: I see your point, but that is exactly why I thought this would remain a less popular variant when I first created it. Once you start playing, you'll find out that in order to avoid the "arduous" gaming, you have to play more defensively and use more tactics rather than rush in blindly. Maybe you should give it a try with a few players:)
Inspiration is the key.
Quote:Two new chars today:

Tk[Pain] - rogue
Awkward[Pain] - mage

Thanks for the replies people.

To Nystul:

Yeah, I know it seems abit strange that only those shrines are allowed, but there is a reason for that - I haven't looked through all the shrines, and I think it seems easier to note the shrines that CAN be used, since they are the ones most popular and known. If I were to go into the shrines who cast MS on you, or heal you or any other effect that would clash with the variant, I would have to name them and mostly people (like me right now) can't identify their names...also hard to remember which ones not to use, so I thought this would be simpler.

To Alamara: I see your point, but that is exactly why I thought this would remain a less popular variant when I first created it. Once you start playing, you'll find out that in order to avoid the "arduous" gaming, you have to play more defensively and use more tactics rather than rush in blindly. Maybe you should give it a try with a few players:)

I'm used to playing Ironman and hardcore characters, so the tactics gameplay is second nature to me. Still, it's near impossible to play solo, and finding even a reasonable skilled legitimate partner is a bit of a challenge these days.
Quote:Yeah, I know it seems abit strange that only those shrines are allowed, but there is a reason for that - I haven't looked through all the shrines, and I think it seems easier to note the shrines that CAN be used, since they are the ones most popular and known. If I were to go into the shrines who cast MS on you, or heal you or any other effect that would clash with the variant, I would have to name them and mostly people (like me right now) can't identify their names...also hard to remember which ones not to use, so I thought this would be simpler.

That is a very practical approach to things. The variants I played the most often were ones with rules that were intuitive and easily memorized. Although, I don't think the banned shrines would be very hard to remember if they were consistent with the other rules. The only ones I can think of are blood fountain/goat/cauldron (easy to remember), divine (rejuvs), cryptic (casts nova), magic (casts mana shield).
Quote:The variants I played the most often were ones with rules that were intuitive and easily memorized.

Same here.
And its worth to mention, that in most cases aplies: "the less rules, the better variant (and more fun)".
Thats why I absolutelly love naked mage. "Do not wear any items". And thats it.
Some people wear +magic items for reading books in town, or +life items to "guarantee" stunlock.
Thats really strange for me. The only rule and they are not able to honour it ....

When I was looking for something nice and cool to play, I was quite dissapointed. Lot of rules.... Lot of strange rules. And what a number of stupid rules. Nothink for nice, smooth (solo and multi) gameplay and possibility high lvl characters (40+) and fun.
Then I started thinking about some restriction. At first I tried Low AC. Its cool, because it has everything what I want.
1) smooth and fast gameplay
2) possibility to reach high clvl
3) lot of fun
4) no problem with rules
5) No problem playing solo
6) I learnt a lot during clearing dungeon. It definatelly brought some style into my play.
(I could surelly find more +, but why.)

When I "finished" my Low AC warrior, I wanted try something else, but with the same fun.
When youre playing with Low AC char it means 1 (major) mistake = 1 death.
But not every time. In some cases you can survive by ..... drinking like mad.

So for new characters (my and my friends) I add these "distrustful" rule:
"You cannot drink potions, heal yourself or other player from scrolls, staves nor ask Pepin for healing"

Thats it. Your char just do not trust any form of gaining heal/mana than leeching it by using right weapons and skills.
For best "performance" you should be (at least) Pure Legit character.
(PL group is OK, as long you trust each other). I think its obvious why. Its hardly funny, when you equip your clvl1 char with Obsi/Dragons Zodiac rings, Kings Bastard swords of Haste/Vampires, Awe/Stars plates ... etc. OTOH, since you can gain life/mana only by leeching from monsters, with Ultra Pure chars should be quite hard to find solid leeching weapons. And that would be annoying.

I play PL-distrustful chars with my friends and its fun. BUT its fun solo too. There is not problem to clear whatever location you want, so you can look for items wherever you want and whenever you have free time. Game can be fast but its challenging all the time. You can restart in town and grab your items back, but .... well, you dont have lot of HP after resurrect, right? And no mana for healing, telekinesis, SC or whatever. Believe or not, this "sober" style brings another dimension in playing style.

So far, I have found just 2 problems:
1) Its not good for mages. I dont say its not playable, but its really not fast and smooth game then
2) Jumping into Diablo's room is not a good option. Youll kill nothing and die. And leeching your life and mana will cost you so much time that its not worthy.

BTW:
Maybe is that "distrustful" rule mentioned above known for ages and I just do not know about it.
So now I look like stupid - explaining something well known. In fact it doesnt matter. Just if you will look for some fun with Diablo, give it a chance. Those who like powerfull but still challenging chars and fast gameplay would like it.

Hariel:
Im sorry I post it here, but I meant it like an option for players, who wants play solo as well.
I wish you and your group mates lot of fun with [PaiN] characters. It doesnt matter, that some players do not think Its funny and good variant. Important is, that you KNOW it is ;-)
Well, your distrustful character is kind of a variation on the T-Totaller by Milespur Hour. The T-Totaller only drinks water, which means that potions, elixers, and fountains cannot be slurped down. Obviously your style will be a little different but the primary restriction is the same and will result in both characters relying on items that leech life or mana.

I'm not really sure how to say this, but I'll give it a try anyway. A "variant", along with providing restrictions to make the game more challenging, is something that provides a group identity to the character outside of the 3 original Diablo classes. If you hear someone say he is playing an Viking, or a Ranger, or a Hamster, you get a good visualization of how that character might act without even knowing the rules. There is a roleplaying element to it that people could attach to. Whether it was Woody's funny stories about his raggedy mage, a new poster playing a Barbarian for the first time getting the chance to say "Me kill small ugly, get much glittery," or someone writing pages and pages of elegant backstories about his Amazon, the variants inspired them to break out of their shell just a little bit, set aside the endless easter egg hunt for better items, and actually get into character for a while.

We can all make a set of rules to suit our own style of play and fine tune the challenge of the game, and that is a good thing. But, that alone does not really capture what was happening in Woody's community of variants. I think he called it the Asylum not just because the of the difficult restrictions that the players forced on themselves, but because of the outlandish personalities of their characters.
Thanks for posting, both.

I agree with you both..a variant can be a gateway to shaping the identity of the already known characters to the direction in which the creator of the variant has set his mind. True, but I didn't think about it that way when I created this one...

I just enjoyed playing Ironman with skilled players, and heal-other was a very useful/challenging/rewarding and not to forget mentioning - interesting aspect of our gameplay! The spirit of this variant is not to be selfish (maybe not the right word here, can't think of a better one), but to look after your friends because you're friends is all you got down there, since even the best of items aren't going to assure you survival. Of course, there is often competition between you and your friends, but what I like in [PaiN], is that this competition takes a SECONDARY position, after you healing your friend and him healing you. It's related with trust, skill and simply a different way of thinking through/planning tactics in the depths of hell.

That's pretty much why I started the variat, I didn't think of a backstory, because there is none..I just said to a couple of friends hey let's try it, and let the story write itself! I've been playing with Demi[PaiN] since clvl 1 I think, and we're both clvl 30 and clvl 32 now (which is a lot in PaiN). If I were to write all of the interesting situations we've had...my fingers would go numb! Starting from the spitboss actions...to the heal-other OVER a wall in case we get separated...to all those wonderful item drops in the case of biggest desperation and perhaps frustration due to our death and loss of all items in a previous game...

It's an adventure where you're playing as a true team..that's pretty much it. Since you enjoy simplicity in terms of rules, maybe that's the right sentence for you, Sekel hehe.

Oh and Sekel, It is a funny and good variant, I KNOW it;)
Inspiration is the key.