Avast! I've changed me virus scanner ye swabs!
Hi,

I finally have had it with the increasing size and lethargy of AVG, so I switched to Avast! What do you use for virus control, and what are your thoughts?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Right now I use Avira AntiVir Personal, but I'm soon switching to Microsoft Security Essentials. I hear INCREDIBLE things about it.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

http://www.teknobites.com/2009/11/01/micro...-removal-tests/
I just don't run programs I don't trust and operate without A/V. (Virtually any A/V program you pick up off the shelf is going to introduce myriad security and stability issues due to ill-advised hooks and the like, in my experience.)

Then again, most folks are not so paranoid about only executing programs from trusted sources, so YMMV:)
- S
Hi,

Quote:What do you use for virus control, and what are your thoughts?
I run a tightly configured hardware firewall on my router. I do weekly backups on the working computers. Beyond that, Magi and I use common sense (and a bit of paranoia) in downloading, opening mail, etc. Periodically, I scan my machine at some AV place like Symantec. I've had two viruses in the last ten years, each of which took me less that a day to clean up.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Hi,

I finally have had it with the increasing size and lethargy of AVG, so I switched to Avast! What do you use for virus control, and what are your thoughts?

Mcafee, and no problems there.
Don't have any special thoughts on the subject.....of course I try to backup important files on DVDs and extrenal drives just to be sure.
Hi,

as for Avast!, I've been using it for about 2 years now and had no problems at all. The only thing that's a bit annoying is the accent of the voice announcing that the virus database has been updated :-)

Take care,

me
"I don't like to brag, I don't like to boast, but I like hot butter on my breakfast toast!" - Flea
Quote:I just don't run programs I don't trust and operate without A/V. (Virtually any A/V program you pick up off the shelf is going to introduce myriad security and stability issues due to ill-advised hooks and the like, in my experience.)

Then again, most folks are not so paranoid about only executing programs from trusted sources, so YMMV:)
I usually don't get infected from intentional downloads, the last few have been through IE browsing pages that have some rogue scripts. I'm careful, but also paranoid enough to buy the free insurance to keep my machine from being a silent internet zombie or from some Trojan key logger transmitting my data to the Chinese government.

P.S. I don't usually us IE for that very reason... But, I'm finding that more hacks are being directed at Firefox now as well. I just had to uninstall one of my favorite addons, because it got hacked and Firefox automatically installs updates.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:I just had to uninstall one of my favorite addons, because it got hacked and Firefox automatically installs updates.
Which addon? I don't even let Firefox check for updates on its own. In fact, I was just going to do a check for updates after logging here but now I'm thinking I might wait so I don't inadvertently pick up said addon.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:Which addon? I don't even let Firefox check for updates on its own. In fact, I was just going to do a check for updates after logging here but now I'm thinking I might wait so I don't inadvertently pick up said addon.
WizzRSS

http://www.wizzrss.com/Welcome.php