Controversial grand jury decision
Quote: If anger is insanity, then the whole foundation of the justice system (in either of our countries) is pretty much down the toilet.

-Jester
I don't disagree with you in general principle, but I don't make excuses for people possessed by demons either, as you appear to be doing for Yates. What's good for the gander is good for the goose, though the situations are certainly not identical. The reaction to the rape (or a believed rape) of one's wife or other family member would strike me as a far more powerful visceral response, at its root, in a short time span, temporary insanity, than a methodical corraling and drowning of your own five children. Since I am not comparing insanity as equivalent to anger generally, as you also appear to be doing, I will leave you to dance with that man of straw until the music stops. ;)

*cue to Denis Leary's "Voices in my Head"*

As to our justice system (and I refer solely to the American justice system, there is no collective system of justice for all of humanity) being down the toilet, it already is. It has been since "society is to blame" entered the conversation.

A pity, but there it is. Imperfect people buggering up life, and each other's lives.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:The reaction to the rape (or a believed rape) of one's wife or other family member would strike me as a far more powerful visceral response, at its root, in a short time span, temporary insanity, than a methodical corraling and drowning of your own five children.

I can't comment on the "power" of post-partum depression, but I can assure you that if what I thought was my wife's rapist was parked in my driveway, he'd be a dead or severely injured man, the law be damned.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
There's also the possibility that the man who got killed didn't even know this woman was married.

False rape claims are something I'm pretty sensitive about.

True rape is a horrible crime, something I don't mind people getting killed for.

People getting drunk and doing something they're ashamed of, and later claiming rape in a desperate attempt to "save" their self image, is unacceptable. Perhaps people that do this should be raped, so they can experience the horrible act they are so callously devaluing just for their image.

This is a pretty serious and common problem in sexually uptight societies. On the one hand, you discourage promiscuous sex, and women tend to falsely claim rape more often (of course, men would too if it were convenient for them). On the other hand, you encourage promiscuous sex, and you have STDs running rampant. We can't win, can we?
Less QQ more Pew Pew
Quote:http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/03/30/texas.ma...r.ap/index.html

This story has been all over several forums I frequent and was curious about the Lounge's feelings about it.

So we are talking about Pakistan here? A woman that is cought cheating is sentences to go to prison? My compliments. I hope americans (especially the right wing rednecks in the mid west) see that the society that they want (and have) does not differs so much from countries like Pakistan and afghanistan. The only difference is the god they believe in) I'm also quite sure that many of them would favour the legalization of stoning as punishment.

Let's make clear that I don't have any respect for these three persons whatsoever. But being killed because of cheating just is not first world business.
Apparently you missed the part of the story where the women claims that she is being raped. It is a fairly significant aspect of the whole deal.
Quote:Apparently you missed the part of the story where the women claims that she is being raped. It is a fairly significant aspect of the whole deal.

No I didn't miss that 'apparantly'. But she didn't say to her husband:' please shoot that guy'.

She can be found guilty of being married to a mental, but not for murder, or 'causing murder'.

This case is by the way a good example to illustrate why I am against legal firearms.
Also here on the lounge there are people that say things like: 'I'm a very nice guy, I would never hurt anyway, but if they touch my family I will shoot them'. Although understandable, this often goes wrong. Not just the cases were a simple unarmed burglar is killed, but in this case, wrong information in combination with a trigger happy guy leads to murder. And like somebody remarked before: this guy might also not have known this woman was married.
No offense eppie, it's the ILLEGAL firearms I'm against:P

Also:

1) It wasn't that many years ago in the South when adultery/fornication was considered a criminal act in and of itself. The, soon-to-be ex-wife should be grateful that those are no longer punishable offenses.

2) I could see a manslaughter charge against the wife for the following reasons: a) Likely knew that her husband was packing a piece;B)Claiming that the man she was with was committing what many people consider a destible crime against her person, c) Knowing that such claim could lead to death for the man she was with, d) see a... that she likely knew her husband was carrying a weapon capable of killing.

Or, think of it this way. Somebody yells FIRE (without one) in a theatre and a person is trampled to death in the stampede.

3) I'd be curious to know exactly what the husband "walked in on." Depending on the circumstances, I could see an alligation of rape being more or less believable.
Quote:No I didn't miss that 'apparantly'. But she didn't say to her husband:' please shoot that guy'.

False allegation of rape is a very serious thing in and of itself, especially since real rape cases are so dependent on the testimony of the victims. Filing a false police report is the least she should be convicted of. If the man hadn't been shot, would he be on trial for rape right now or what?

With regards to her contribution to the man's death, that may depend on the laws in Texas. Was her negligence a major factor in the man's death? There are consequences for such things. If you drink three or four beers and get into a car accident, and you can be charged with manslaughter. What she did seems at least as careless as that to me.
Quote:False allegation of rape is a very serious thing in and of itself, especially since real rape cases are so dependent on the testimony of the victims. Filing a false police report is the least she should be convicted of. If the man hadn't been shot, would he be on trial for rape right now or what?

With regards to her contribution to the man's death, that may depend on the laws in Texas. Was her negligence a major factor in the man's death? There are consequences for such things. If you drink three or four beers and get into a car accident, and you can be charged with manslaughter. What she did seems at least as careless as that to me.

I agree with you. She is guilty on those charges. But guilty of murder is just the guy.

Quote:I agree with you. She is guilty on those charges. But guilty of murder is just the guy.
But she's not being indicted for murder. She's being indicted for manslaughter— negligent, even criminal actions that incidentally result in the death of a person, sans the overt malice or premeditation which would have made it a murder.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Hi,

Quote:@Pete: I can say that sometimes, in the driveway is a function of time, place, motivation, and overwhelming desire. No judgment involved, due to redirection of the bulk of blood flow. :whistling:
Right you are; old joke, two brains and only enough blood to use one at a time;)

But in the husband's driveway? That's stupidity above and beyond and just begs for some of that old 'bleach in the gene pool':)

--Pete (posting on Magi's machine since *all* other computers in the house are eighter not set up or busted. And I didn't log in as myself because I've forgotten my password :whistling:)
Quote:Right you are; old joke, two brains and only enough blood to use one at a time;)

But in the husband's driveway? That's stupidity above and beyond and just begs for some of that old 'bleach in the gene pool':)
True, though perhaps the excitation factor in mortal danger needs to be factored in. Some folks are thrill seekers.
Quote:--Pete (posting on Magi's machine since *all* other computers in the house are eighter not set up or busted. And I didn't log in as myself because I've forgotten my password )
Here I thought Magi was gracing us with her presence. Such rare sightings, as with unicorns, glimpsed quickly as the elusive quarry disappears, excite the imagination and leave one wondering what one actually saw.

In this case, a rocket scientist. :lol:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
An update on an old discussion: the wife who made the false accusation of rape that left her lover dead has been convicted of manslaughter for that death.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Quote:An update on an old discussion: the wife who made the false accusation of rape that left her lover dead has been convicted of manslaughter for that death.
"It's a fair cop, but society's to blame." :P

Actually, libidinous urges are to blame, as well as fear, surprise, and an almost fanatical devotion to the --

*sigh*

I'll come in again.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete